• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer light - help guess why this is happening

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have now had my rear trailer tail light break off 3x and I can’t figure out why. Each time I come home and it is dangling??? I don’t think I am hitting anything. Please throw out any ideas and I am close to hooking up a GoPro to record and figure this out. This doesn’t seem to happen at the ramp since the light is all good when I retrieve and depart the ramp. I have now put this together with zip ties and bungee until I figure this out.

4B7B3434-FA83-494D-A141-EF91762A8184.jpeg4C679E3A-8C65-410A-8D89-BD15C9F2F137.jpeg

Jester429

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You hit a bump, boat bounces a little flexing the member the boat buckle is bolted to causing plastic to break. Just a guess

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If there is no indication of impact I would think the road vibration is causing the nuts or bolts to come undone. Have you tried blue Loctite?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried loctite. Will continue to look at bump as problem. Just drove an hour to lake with no issue.

Jlhtec

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks like the wires are getting pinched, and not allowing the black plastic to sit flush on the metal. When you tighten down the bolts it put undue stress on the plastic and cracks.
Jeff

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Add that to the vibrations and a “ heavy Light” with cheap plastic backing, and now it can vibrate while traveling and slowly bounce, if you mount a go pro back there and review the footage from a normal drive to the lake, I think you will be supposed how much the trailer bounces, What tire pressure are you running? I’m gonna assume max per the side wall of the tire? That’s definitely not helping to soften the ride on the trailer if you are running them high.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Odd. Only happens between boat ramp and going home? I would doubt the light fixture has enough mass to break the plastic back due to travel jarring. It would think it would take a heavy blow, upward force or top weight to break off the housing as shown. The light is protected by the backing plate as well.

What damage are you seeing on the red lens? Any scruff marks on an edge or corner? Is the lens pushed off the black housing a particular direction? Trying to determine the direction of the force that is breaking the housing.

My guess looking at the picture is the light fixture is being lifted and breaking the back because the remaining back is broken right below the mounting bolts and leaving material above. If breaking going downward I would assume the back would break on the top side of the mounting bolts and leave backing below the bolts.

This is what I called a SWAG. "Scientific Wild Ass Guess"

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I have now had my rear trailer tail light break off 3x and I can’t figure out why. Each time I come home and it is dangling??? I don’t think I am hitting anything. Please throw out any ideas and I am close to hooking up a GoPro to record and figure this out. This doesn’t seem to happen at the ramp since the light is all good when I retrieve and depart the ramp. I have now put this together with zip ties and bungee until I figure this out.

Were you able to determine what was damaging your lights?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Joatmon , I was not able to figure this out and I sold the boat/trailer last week.

I do think it was due to a combination of potholes jarring the light along with loosening nuts on the light assembly. I have sellers remorse and wish I had the boat back but I like not thinking about the stupid light! 😜