• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Light Issue

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have an issue with a rear trailer light being very dim when the blinkers or right turn signal is used. You can see it flash, it's just very dim and probably not noticeable to a vehicle 100 feet behind me.

Below, I took a picture of each and you can see the noticeable difference..... The lights work, just aren't getting near as bright. I have not investigated what's up with it... other than checking the cable connected to my SUV. I blew it out with air and sprayed some contact cleaner in there. Plugged/unplugged it a few times and no change.

Anyone run into something similar?

IMG_0696.jpgIMG_0697.jpg

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd suspect bad ground, or bad led module. The fact that the function is the se on brakes and turning means its wired correctly, so really, those are the only 2 options.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, bad ground would be the most common issue. Being LED, it could also simply be a corroded wire/connection. LED needs so little amperage, they will often work (albeit poorly) through a very corroded section. Check ground, then wiggle wires while someone observes the light.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, bad ground would be the most common issue. Being LED, it could also simply be a corroded wire/connection. LED needs so little amperage, they will often work (albeit poorly) through a very corroded section. Check ground, then wiggle wires while someone observes the light.
Appreciate both responses.... check ground how? I checked the plug from the trailer to my SUV a and cleaned it up. Haven’t wiggled wires or anything yet. i haven’t pulled the cover off the “bad” light yet either. Is the LED a module in there? I thought about swapping the left and rear lights to see if the problem stayed on the right or if it was actually the light...?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, since the driver side appears to be bright, I’d say it’s likely isolated to that side/circuit. Are the regular running lights the same brightness, or is the passenger side dimmer also? Checking ground would usually be done with a light tester. It can also be done with a voltmeter, but here again, a weak ground could give you a false positive with a voltmeter. A 12V test light which draws more amperage, lending itself to better testing in case of a corrosion situation. Each light might have its own ground, and it could also be a ground wire that runs all way back from the front. Just have to put eyes on and figure that out. If swapping left/right lights is not difficult, it would be a good test.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Completely forgot about this issue and came across it again. Did some troubleshooting and I’m pretty sure it’s the connector near the light. It’s a triangle shaped 3 pin connector. I cleaned up the pins and confirmed voltage is there but I still have an issue. Gonna replace the connector and have been to a couple auto parts stores and they don’t have that kind of 3 pin. im sending this from an Auto Zone parking lot and haven’t searched yet.

Has anyone replaced theirs with something unique or “better?”

my brake light won’t work and I’m towing to South Carolina tomorrow. For now I might just cut the connector and hard wire the lights for now until I can get something.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe I know the connector you are speaking of, and it has been a point of failure for multiple users.

I did what you suggested, remove the plug, hardwire, use some shrink tubing and liquid electrical tape to ensure a good seal.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Found a photo of what mine looked like.
IMG_1830.jpeg

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I believe I know the connector you are speaking of, and it has been a point of failure for multiple users.

I did what you suggested, remove the plug, hardwire, use some shrink tubing and liquid electrical tape to ensure a good seal.
Yeah, that's the connector. Mine was still in decent shape but I decided to cut it and connect all the wires together.
IMG_3222.JPG

Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem. Here's what happens.....

• Lights off, turn on left turn signal and it works. Signal blinks as expected
  • Lights off, press brakes and it works. Signal blinks as expected
  • Lights on, and neither the brakes or left signal work. The light just stays on.
Here's a link to a video I took that shows this....

Someone earlier mentioned an LED module. Anyone know more? Do the rear lights have some brains in there to make it all work?

Appreciate any help you can provide!

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To rule out the light, i would suggest using a volt meter and testing each lead for the 3 conditions you mentioned. Since you know the other side works, compare your results/readings. If identical, you probably ruled out a wiring issue, and I would look for a replacement light fixture. I don’t believe it could be a ground wire since the light is illuminating.

Once you figure it out, make sure you waterproof the connections with something like this (heat shrink butt connectors) as well as liquid electrical tape.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length