• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer tire replacement

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
6 Years ago I put on brand new Goodyear Marathon tires (all 5) on my boat, shortly after purchasing it, since the newly installed "Greenball" tires developed a bulge in one of them on the sidewall.

During a tow this weekend, I noticed heavy vibration, and realized that one of my Marathon tires had an issue with a similar situation, although the bulge was in the tread, not the sidewall. I figured "no problem", I'll get a new one, but it looks like Goodyear doesn't make the Marathon anymore, and instead makes the "Endurance".

What would you guys do? I don't like the idea of having unmatched tires. Fortunately, I have 4 Marathons, since I did the spare originally also, but should I just get a crappy tire for the spare, or replace the entire one axle with two Endurance tires?

How long do you guys keep your trailer tires? They have tons of tread, as I tow only maybe 1000km/year, so they have less than 6000 kms on them.

Attachments

Georg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you need all 4 tires new. For a peaceful sleep. I'm sorry, but these are 6-year-old tires and from now on you can only wait for the next one to leave.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trailer tires die by UV exposure, not by tread wear. You are probably about at end of life, especially if you store outdoors. So I agree with @Georg . You can replace one or two, but the rest are going soon (including that spare), so be ready...

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Trailer tires die by UV exposure, not by tread wear.
I understand. However, the boat/trailer are in storage October-May, and in a heavily shaded lot the rest of the year. So they only get 4-5 months TOPS of outdoor exposure. Furthermore, I have a cover for the spare.

While I am frugal, I'm also not one to dispose of something that is still good. I'm debating replacing the two axle tires with the new Goodyear Endurance, and leave the others as is.

Are there any other tire recommendations you guys would consider? The Goodyear's carry a hefty price premium.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recall Carlisle and the Goodyears in discussions here. I am still on my original tires, so no direct experience with either.

You may want to consider, then, replacing the bad tire and the spare. If one of the other ones goes quickly, the spare will be your 'new' tire for there (and you will know to expect the others shortly). If the first was a fluke and you have more time on the other 3, then you can use those up the rest of the way with the security of a known-good spare.

The downside to the approach, obviously, is that if one of your remaining tires fails you may be on the road and needing to change to the spare (which can really affect a day on the water, no less a vacation trip or something). I only recommend changing all of them because most people don't want to learn their tire is bad by having it go on them while they are on the way to the lake... If you are good with that (and your logic on the aging of your tires is sound), changing out only the 2 would be perfectly fine IMHO.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand. However, the boat/trailer are in storage October-May, and in a heavily shaded lot the rest of the year. So they only get 4-5 months TOPS of outdoor exposure. Furthermore, I have a cover for the spare.

While I am frugal, I'm also not one to dispose of something that is still good. I'm debating replacing the two axle tires with the new Goodyear Endurance, and leave the others as is.

Are there any other tire recommendations you guys would consider? The Goodyear's carry a hefty price premium.
3-5 years for trailer tires regardless of where stored. The thing about running them even if they look good and have been stored inside is just what you are finding out. It’s about the trust factor. A bulge could have been a blowout and when one blows out due to age the next one could happen right away. Replace them all before they get to that point.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
3-5 years for trailer tires regardless of where stored.
Yeah, I'm leaning this way. I think I will end this season on the tires I have (only a few weeks left sadly) and replace all of them in the spring, this way I'm not storing brand new tires.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Any recommendations for tire make/model?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any recommendations for tire make/model?
The Goodyear Endurance always seem to be highly regarded around here. I'll be replacing three (single axle trailer with a spare) this winter with that make/model in my size.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Endurance at Sam's club are like $80, so they are not all that expensive in my opinion.

But if the tire is working but you have no trust in it, swap it with your spare. If they are all the same age Goodyear, why not just swap it. Your tire with a bulge is a good enough spare unless you are trailering cross country. Honestly, having one Endurance is no big deal as well. It's a dual axle trailer, not a luxury automobile. One odd tire is no big deal. Especially when replacing with Goodyear's direct replacement. But if you were concerned, put your spare on the axle, and put an endurance on as a spare. It has no ill effects sitting on your spare tire carrier.

It's all not worth overthinking. You did that when you chose quality tires when you purchased the Marathons. And you got great life out of them at 5-6 years.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Use 303 on your trailer tires year round. It will protect them from UV and dry rot.
Does that end up looking like tire shine at any level?

AEmedic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
5 years max on tires! I have had good luck with the GY Endurance tires and like that they are made in the US.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Endurance at Sam's club are like $80, so they are not all that expensive in my opinion.
I wish. We pay dearly for anything in Canada. Cheapest I could find (NOT installed) was $150+tax (CAD). We get really burned on a lot of stuff up here.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I seem to recall people having problems with the Marathon's....sidewall issues.

I Maxxis 8008 on my '09 and have the Endurance on the '17. The Endurance in stock size is 1 weight rating higher (D vs the stock C I believe). I believe Goodyear made these with stronger sidewalls specifically. I've liked them thus far with 8-10k miles on them.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm going to go with the Goodyears. I've got two 60-mile tows left, and then in the spring I will get all new tires. The issue with any tire other than Goodyear or a big name brand is that they are hard to find in Canada.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well....I think my waiting until spring idea may be a good one. I called three tire shops and all of them told me that the GY Endurance are back-ordered. Could even be until December. COVID is so weird. Boats, cars, RVs, pressure treated wood, concrete are all back-ordered in our area also.

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just replaced all 5 with Goodyear Endurance on new rims due to previous tires were due to change due to UV not mileage. Brother in law shared a broke down due to tire issue (tire blew out, changed, and then 15 min later 2nd one blew out - what luck!) that ruined whole day off to lake with friends and that pushed me to take care of it now vs. being that guy! :)