• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Trailer tongue jack wheel vs plate

ragingrhino

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So my driveway is not completely level and when i store my boat there to wash it the water starts to pool more towards the bow because again its not 100% level. My trailer came with a wheel jack instead of a plate so even with the 1 inch thick brick i can get under the wheel and it cranked all the way up, the boat sits barely bow up so the water doesnt fully drain from the bow towards the stern.

My thought is that if I replace the wheel with a plate it will allow me to get multiple bricks underneath it so my bow can sit a little higher to drain better when i wash it. Has anyone replaced their stock wheel with a plate? Any recommendations to a certain brand/style?

I just replaced the stock jack that came on my 2020 trailer with a 1500lb wheeled jack. I installed the new jack behind (transom side) of the bow stop/winch, allowing the new jack to push the boat up further.

That said, if you pop your transom plug when you are pulling the boat out at the ramp, and let the boat sit for a minute while it's angled down so far, you'll drain it completely. The only way you'd get water into the transom area when cleaning it is through the rear cupholders, which drain directly down. Otherwise, your boat has a self-bailing deck, and you can hose the entire thing down and it'll all go out of the boat instead of in it.

What does a plate give you that a wheel does not? If your wheels are chocked properly that trailer will not move, and that wheel will sit on top of a brick just as stable as a plate.

When washing my boat on our old slanted driveway, I would literally drive my truck into the garage with the trailer attached and it was the perfect angle for washing. When parked it was covered, but I still liked to get it up enough to drain whatever water did get in.

I just replaced the stock jack that came on my 2020 trailer with a 1500lb wheeled jack. I installed the new jack behind (transom side) of the bow stop/winch, allowing the new jack to push the boat up further.

That said, if you pop your transom plug when you are pulling the boat out at the ramp, and let the boat sit for a minute while it's angled down so far, you'll drain it completely. The only way you'd get water into the transom area when cleaning it is through the rear cupholders, which drain directly down. Otherwise, your boat has a self-bailing deck, and you can hose the entire thing down and it'll all go out of the boat instead of in it.
When i spray to get whatever sand and crumbs or whatever down the drain tubes is what im most concerned about. I know the rest will drain out but its the heavier things that dont flow as easy as water.

What does a plate give you that a wheel does not? If your wheels are chocked properly that trailer will not move, and that wheel will sit on top of a brick just as stable as a plate.

When washing my boat on our old slanted driveway, I would literally drive my truck into the garage with the trailer attached and it was the perfect angle for washing. When parked it was covered, but I still liked to get it up enough to drain whatever water did get in.
A plate allows more clearance to get a couple bricks or pieces of wood down so when i raise the bow it goes a little higher

When i spray to get whatever sand and crumbs or whatever down the drain tubes is what im most concerned about. I know the rest will drain out but its the heavier things that dont flow as easy as water.
You may want to also pop the entire cleanout hatch cover off, reach down into the inside of where the transom plug is, and clean out any junk left over from assembly that could be impeding the water flow out of the boat. Just this weekend I found some new assembly trash from nearly five years ago that worked it's way back - clipped off hose clamps, a couple screws, and a cut out plug of fiberglass...

I prefer a wheel any day. When my boat is on a flat surface i can push around with ease. I made a stand for my wheel so i dont have to crank it to the moon and add stress to the jack when its extended to high.
20240729_192413.jpg

A plate allows more clearance to get a couple bricks or pieces of wood down so when i raise the bow it goes a little higher

Someday you will re-read this answer and fall off your chair laughing at yourself. I will just let that sink in for a minute.

Then realize that taking a 4" wheel off, so that you have room for a 4" block of wood really saved you nothing, but did take your very functional wheel away.

You may want to also pop the entire cleanout hatch cover off, reach down into the inside of where the transom plug is, and clean out any junk left over from assembly that could be impeding the water flow out of the boat. Just this weekend I found some new assembly trash from nearly five years ago that worked it's way back - clipped off hose clamps, a couple screws, and a cut out plug of fiberglass...
Good idea. I ran the hose in to the plug port after i bought it to try and clean it out and some stuff came out but i should keep doing it for a while just to make sure.

I replaced my trailer with a galvanized trailer (24' 2016 LS), and it came with a 2000 lb jack plate (in lieu of the jackwheel)
The Plate is way better. Its in a fixed position so it doesn't 'snap' and is more stable. You can still move the trailer on cement, but its far more secure than the wheel

Back