• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Trailer wheel is hot

No need to perform heroics. Just pull the bolt, em swing the caliper out of the way, press the stuck piston back into the caliper, replace the caliper, install the surge brake lockout key, and tow to your buddy. This is a 10-15 minute job at the most. I would rate it one beer on the fujibeer scale, but your driving!!!

Sorry, flying and reassigned, and an 11 hour day ending 1300 miles from where I expected this morning.

Use a big 10-12" c-clamp to press the caliper back. Use a little caution as you do this, open the master cylinder reservoir cover and if it fills too much when you press it back, you can remove some, but it should be ok. When you swing the caliper back on the pivot bolt, you can then press the piston back. Wish I had pics...pics make more sense.

I rebuilt some four piston calipers by pulling the pistons, washing the body and pistons in the sink with soapy water then drying them in the oven. I replaced several of the pistons that I damaged while pulling but parts were in short supply so I reused most of them. Then I replaced all of the brake fluid with new and bled the air out. I found that old brake fluid had turned into something like superglue inside of the calipers but it was water soluable.

I would think that a similar process would work for our trailer brakes if they are not corroded. Although with the relatively low cost of the calipers it may make sense to simply replace them.

The problem with our trailers, is they get dipped and most times hot. The Pistons warp. So the caliper ends up trash as you can't seem to get UFP to send just pistons. It's pretty cheap, about $45 for a new caliper.

The problem with our trailers, is they get dipped and most times hot. The Pistons warp. So the caliper ends up trash as you can't seem to get UFP to send just pistons. It's pretty cheap, about $45 for a new caliper.
This is an informative thread. I have yet to have an issue, but I am anal about checking hubs on any of my trailers when I stop. I have saved myself roadside trouble on more than one occasion. For $45, I am going to purchase a replacement caliper to have on hand in case I have an issue with bad timing (like Mel's issue right before a big trip). With my luck, I will have a stuck caliper at the worst possible time!

Back