• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer without a cover:

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
Trailering without a cover:

Will the seat cushions stay down or will they be flapping open?

Should I put something on them to keep them down? We will be going interstate highway speeds.

Our cover has not yet arrived.

We have taken off the Bimini top.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Need a little more context. What is the year/make/model? How long will you be driving? Does the cushions have any snaps? On my 1998 Glastron, I never had an issue, although I would cover for a trip longer than an hour. On the back cushions, I would drop the tool bag, cooler, or whatever else I knew that wouldn't fly off just to be safe.

The worst I have had is a dockline that decided to flop in the wind along side the boat.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you have hinged seats, no worries. But any seats not directly attached to the boat and towing over 40mph, I would put in your tow vehicle. "They probably won't fly out" is a really poor strategy when you get to the ramp and find you're missing one.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I plan an using a cover 100% of time. May have to buy a generic cover temporarily in mooring cover is on back order.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I towed mine uncovered on a 7 hr drive, didn't have any issues. I would not do it again just because their is a chance. Rookie mistake by me

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
take em off. they will fly. even the ones that button down. for me, i take off the middle one up front, the rear one in the middle and the rear seat behind the drivers seat. even with a button, the buton sorta ripped at the attachement point. I cover when parked, do not want to deal with the cover at the boat ramp. store the seats in the center and even one in the port side rear storage. Speaking of, my rear port side seat rises up when i drive, so i have to bungee that down.

Trannyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I trailer without cover almost every time. The only thing I do is slide the drivers seat as far back as it will go which holds the right rear seat tight. That’s the only one I have ever had move while under way. I have a sx230.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Let me just say I hate you hinged seat people, they introduced hinged seats right after my model year...damn it..lol
Coming home first time with my Bayliner Element lost a seat on the highway and tractor trailer smashed it....ever since I remove anything that's not permanent. (except the cooler always full). To the farthest lake is an hour, so I usually go no cover, I'd rather get some bugs off and remove a few seat cushions then see the Yamaha cover in so much stress due to the wind pressure especially in the bow. If I was to tow on a long trip..I'd fill the bow with cushions and water toys, to avoid that void in the bow, all around the support pole.
In the spring when I get the boat out I'll send pics..i started using stainless eye screws under the seat cushion and the plastic blocks that support the seat and temporarily use these below to tie them together..its been two years and no fly outs..🤞

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Let me just say I hate you hinged seat people, they introduced hinged seats right after my model year...damn it..lol
Coming home first time with my Bayliner Element lost a seat on the highway and tractor trailer smashed it....ever since I remove anything that's not permanent. (except the cooler always full). To the farthest lake is an hour, so I usually go no cover, I'd rather get some bugs off and remove a few seat cushions then see the Yamaha cover in so much stress due to the wind pressure especially in the bow. If I was to tow on a long trip..I'd fill the bow with cushions and water toys, to avoid that void in the bow, all around the support pole.
In the spring when I get the boat out I'll send pics..i started using stainless eye screws under the seat cushion and the plastic blocks that support the seat and temporarily use these below to tie them together..its been two years and no fly outs..🤞

I know that @HangOutdoors uses oversized beach balls in the bow to prevent the sag. Also you may be aware that many use poo noodles on the windshield to minimize wear.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve towed twice over 55 without a cover and I consider myself lucky that I didn’t lose anything. The first time I had no problems. The second time the long side cushions were standing up when I looked out the mirror, I pulled over to put them back down. If they were shorter/lighter I would have lost them. I’d do it for short trip, under 50, but not on a highway.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been lucky as I've had them come off in the boat but not fly out. I put a strip of heavy duty adhesive velcro on the seat cushion and on the boat where it meets the seat. About a 6" strip on the longer seats in the middle, and about a 3" strip on the front bow cushion. It takes a little effort to pull the seats up to access storage, but never worry about losing a seat. It's also lasted about 5 years and counting.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always trailer with a cover but I'm also always going 55mph or faster for a minimum of 20 miles. My cushions are just sitting there with nothing to keep them from flying out and would rather be safe than sorry. Use pool noodles across the top of the windshield always and if going over 60 I'll put a tube in the bow to keep the cover from sagging as opposed to the ant-pooling pole that puts a LOT of stress in one small area. For the few minutes it takes to remove/install the cover I believe it's time well spent.

DJ Bellin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Yamaha 242 LS and I have trailered annually from Maryland to Florida without a cover without any issue. I also have hinged seats and except for killing a few bugs, no major issues. I thin in if I trailered with a cover on, it would eventually start to rip at sustained highway speeds and winds.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I trailered our jet ski covered for 18 seasons, not the same as a boat I know. I think it is just part overall maintenance. Why subject your interior to all those additional hours espoused to the elements, sun, wind, rain. When I sold it this past January above the waterline looked brand new and below some surface scratches from a rare beaching and a quarter size fiberglass repair I believe occurred from a thrown rock while trailering.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
This is how we handle towing without a cover. No lost cushions and we've traveled about 2,000 miles at 75 mph. For local lakes where speeds are less than 50 mph we don't bother adding the wood braces, but for interstate we do.

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I trailered my boat to and from Lake George this past summer. Destroyed the cover on the way back. First time this happened in five years. I think the age of the cover played a part. Will only trailer without a cover on long hauls from now on.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually always travel on long (over 1 hour trips) with a spare shipping cover just in case I have a problem. They make a large spider web bungee type cover you can put over the entire boat. Which I have used before to keep the contents in the boat.

The seats do wedge in pretty tight and are suppose to stay in for trailering. But people have had them fall out while trailering.

I think this is the net I purchased, it stretches' a lot.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it all depends on your max speed. If I am going at water speeds (up to 50 mph), I lock things down as I would on the water.

If I am hitting the highway and doing 75, I have a cover on or all loose items get secured and snapped cushions removed. And then I still get something wrong (like the time the snap-in carpet ripped out a snap and started flapping). So the cover is preferred for me.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Trips under an hour I don't cover - long distance I will. The hinged seats CAN open if you tow uncovered. I generally don't keep anything loose in there in transit, but if you do, you can lose it. i've arrived at my destination even after shorter tows and found the bow seats and cockpit seats opened, and rarely travel faster than 65.