• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Transducer placement check

jpaterson5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Happy Memorial Day, everyone!

Just picked up my 210 FSH on Friday... just in time for a great weekend out with the family. I hope all have been enjoying the same. I know its well covered territory on these threads, but can you take a look at my transducer placement and confirm that I'm in the right spot (or not). I had intermittent depth readings (good approx 85% of the time). Since I'm a total newbie, I can't yet comment on the fish finding, but it didn't appear that I was seeing any of those downward curves/checks which are supposed to represent fish). Obviously a lot to learn, but any insights/links into fine tuning that would also be very much appreciated!

Really excited to be a part of this community... it's been a great resource for me so far. Hopefully I can return the favor in the coming months, years.

Best,
Jay

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks right to me. Only question is whether you will get readings from near the surface on the port side--might be placed too high on the starboard side to get those especially when the jet is running. But that is not where you are normally worried about seeing...

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome!! Congrats on the boat..Great looking boat..I like the cable stays and mounting block for the transducer..no drilling :winkingthumbsup" Was this already installed?
Can't help on your location..I have to do the same install, but plenty of members will chime in and plenty of threads addressing your question, just use the search feature.
Happy Boating!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looks like you are ready to try it out. Each location, transducer and use application is different, so you may have it in a great spot. The one thing that I have read a lot on is raising the lower surface closer to the lower hull to just skim the water when running and less plowing. I have seen that via several sources; but this is one example. Transducer Installation Placement RULES-Transducer Location-Transducer Mount-High speed-Side Scan-Down Scan-Side Imaging-Structure Scan. It looks like you have some adjustment left in the slots.

jpaterson5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Welcome!! Congrats on the boat..Great looking boat..I like the cable stays and mounting block for the transducer..no drilling :winkingthumbsup" Was this already installed?
Can't help on your location..I have to do the same install, but plenty of members will chime in and plenty of threads addressing your question, just use the search feature.
Happy Boating!
Hi InmyElement - thanks for the reply. No, I installed myself using a stern saver pad (which had a marine grade adhesive pad on the back). Simply roughened the gelcoat, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, then stuck on. I had to scribe the block to fit the contour of the bottom of the boat, however. In all, pretty straight forward. The kit also came with the cable stays, which attached in the same manner.

jpaterson5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It looks like you are ready to try it out. Each location, transducer and use application is different, so you may have it in a great spot. The one thing that I have read a lot on is raising the lower surface closer to the lower hull to just skim the water when running and less plowing. I have seen that via several sources; but this is one example. Transducer Installation Placement RULES-Transducer Location-Transducer Mount-High speed-Side Scan-Down Scan-Side Imaging-Structure Scan. It looks like you have some adjustment left in the slots.
Thanks, Seadeals. I'll have a look at the link. May be a bit too low and too "in line" with the strake. I'll check it out.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is that transducer for the Garmin? Does yours have side scan? If it does proper placement is 5 degrees from lowest part of boat per Garmin. You will be interfering with side scan on your port side. Also if you you ever plan on putting on Trim Tabs it is going to be close or they may not fit and will cause interference.

I attached mine to the ride plate and dropped it lower. Side Vue / Scan works fine. Here is the thread where I discussed.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks a touch low to my eye, but could be the angle of the picture. I'd expect a lot of spray from that position - should work fine though.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On mine, it is 5 degrees. No spray at all. Reads solid through all speeds.

cam@LKN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Just picked up my 210 FSH on Friday... just in time for a great weekend out with the family. I hope all have been enjoying the same. I know its well covered territory on these threads, but can you take a look at my transducer placement and confirm that I'm in the right spot (or not). I had intermittent depth readings (good approx 85% of the time). Since I'm a total newbie, I can't yet comment on the fish finding, but it didn't appear that I was seeing any of those downward curves/checks which are supposed to represent fish). Obviously a lot to learn, but any insights/links into fine tuning that would also be very much appreciated!

Really excited to be a part of this community... it's been a great resource for me so far. Hopefully I can return the favor in the coming months, years.

Best,
Jay
I came across this video on YouTube on how to “level” your transducer from a fisherman who has a good following on YT. Seemed like a clever method. I haven’t tried but intend to do so.

mktighe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

Best,
Jay
How is the fish finder working now? What kind do you have? And what was the plug you use in the transom? I am trying to install a Lowrance HDS Live 9 in my 2011 242 Limited, so it is a little different than yours. Any help or advice you can give me would be great.

Thanks

Mike