• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Transom mounted transducer on 2023 222 FSH Sport

Cajun Bill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Although the boat comes with a thru hull transducer, it only gives depth and temperature. I wanted a transom mounted transducer, integrated with the Garmin MFD, for clear view, side view and seeing the bottom contour. With twin engines, the preferred location is in the center. But, it's hard to find room on the hull. In viewing the underside of the hull, the length of it looked clean just to the side of the centerline/keel. So, I decided to put it there. Plus, because I may later want to add trim tabs or the Seakeeper ride, it would keep the best areas of real estate free. I bought a short piece of 1/4 marine grade aluminum angle, cut it and drilled it to make a bracket. It's fixed to the boat with 2 bolts going into the ride plate. (If it didn't work out, I don't have any holes in the hull. There's no room for a stick on pad there). I used the template that came with the Garmin GT54UHD-TM transducer to get the mount and the holes in the bracket right. The cable's plug was just a little too big to fit into the drain outlet from the wet storage area. So, I replaced the thru hull drain fitting with a 1" one from West Marine and transitioned the hose back down to 3/4" at a tee above the water line. Here are a few pics. I'm pleased to report that I can run wide open in rough/choppy conditions, have a clear view of the bottom and receive continuous depth readings.

Attachments

• pic04.jpg
    pic04.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 71
  • pic03.jpg
    pic03.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 79
  • Pic02.jpg
    Pic02.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Pic01.jpg
    Pic01.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 85
We can't mount it like that on the 2023 222 FSH because the hull doesn't have the step that yours has.

So @Cajun Bill the “ articulating keel“ doesn’t interfere with starboard side scan? I do have trim tabs already and side scan is near future project. TIA

Great question. I've only used side scan a few times since making the installation. I was most concerned about seeing the bottom while running. I scrolled thru side scan briefly. Let me put it in the water this week and get some pics of the display with various settings.

Here are some high-resolution images. In the open lake, you can see that the sidevu returns on the starboard side are impacted. When idling by a structure and making passes in each direction, it's evident that the articulating keel does block the signal and leave a blind spot on the starboard side. For some, it may be preferable to have the transducer mounted on the starboard side of the keel. But, the factory thru hull airmar is on that side and I didn't know if there would be any interference. For my purposes, I intend to leave it as is. Sidevu 3 lake.jpgSidevu 2 lake.jpgSidevu 1 lake.jpg

If it meets your needs then great!

I ended up mounting mine in the exact same spot, but lowered a few inches so it wasn't impacted by the keel and it works great up to 30mph, where I get a little washout.

@JASmith how did you lower it a few inches? Did you make a bracket like @Cajun Bill did? how did you mount it a few inches lower? Pics please! Thanks

OK - sorry I misunderstood, I thought you had done something like the little one piece job Cajun Bill did. The thread you referenced does look like the way to go.

Back