• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Treatment for old gas?

Dave Kruse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am about to put my (new to me) Yamaha 2013 AR192 in the water. It was only used for about an hour last year by previous owner, so gas in there is about 2+ years old. Tank is mostly full, what type of treatment should I add to it? I did put StaBil in last fall. Also what octane gas do you use?

Thanks!

You've done what you can do by adding stabil, or marine stabil. Something that can counter any moisture or ethanol separating the fuel. Otherwise, pumping it out would be your only other option.

The AR/SX 192 is rated for 86, and no greater than 10% ethanol. We won't start a debate on what you should or should not use. Just understand that the engine was tuned for 86 and can run fine on Ethanol up to 10% by the manufacturer. Anything other than that is just opinion.

Surprisingly, the AR/SX 195 is one of the only ones to specify 91 for it's supercharger.

The key here is "fresh" gas is recommended. And I would bet burning some off and adding fresh would be most folks recommendation.

Good luck! Enjoy it!

Start the motor up. If it comes right back to life, go run it hard for a couple hours and top off with fresh gas.

87/E10 is perfect, don't worry about finding Ethanol-Free or premium.

I will say this I had motorcycle with half tank of old gas hard time idling and would back fire. Top off with new gas still did it. Had to run the whole tank out and fill with new to stop the back firing. Apparently gas is like apples one bad can ruin the whole bunch so get it as close to empty as you feel comfortable with before you fuel up.

Fortunately your tank was full reducing the exposure to air. As @biffdotorg said run it like you stole it and top it off after each use. Use marine stabil and Yamalube Ring Free

Just replace the fuel that is way too long a time to try and save it.

Thanks everyone!

Just replace the fuel that is way too long a time to try and save it.
This,

Get a safety siphon. Advertise free gas on CL and give it to anyone who shows up with a gas can.

Not worth dealing with on a boat. Stabil needs to be added when the gas is new to do its thing.

Last edited:
Back