• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tricking out a 2008 SX230

Nick T

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi all, I'm about to pull the trigger to buy a nice 2008 SX230 that's in good shape mechanically and aesthetically. I am new to owning a boat, and have 3 pretty young kids (8, 8, 10) so I think a jetboat is a good safer way to get started. I'm looking for advice about aftermarket must-haves or other suggestions for this boat?

It does have Cobra Jet Fins and dual batteries, but as far as I can tell that's all the mods he's done to the boat. I don't know how we'll use it yet but I suspect it's a mix of wakeboarding, waterskiing, casual boating, and tubing. My kids don't yet even waterski/wakeboard but I suspect that'll change, so I'm already thinking about an aftermarket wakeboard (maybe the Indy Liquid Pro: http://www.indywakeboardtowers.com/product/pro-tower/) which is inexpensive and seems well designed. The carpet is in great shape but at some point when it wears out I'll likely switch to SeaDek.

Any other suggestions of things I really ought to look at? The boat will only be used in a single lake in California, and will normally be on a boat lift when not in use.

thanks!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You have found a great boat. I don't know about tricking out but I would strongly advise changing the OEM plastic scupper valve to stainless steel as they have a tendency to break with little or no warning. There is information for this project in the FAQ section. Have fun on your twin engine jetboat with your twins.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stereo upgrade!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome and good luck. You have three lucky young kids. We didn't get our first boat until our kids were a little older.

From a safety perspective please make sure your plastic scupper drain has been replaced with a stainless steel version. From a fun perspective maybe add a bbq, although if you live on a lake it might just be easier to do that at the dock.

If you might boat at dusk or night then LED lights, both underwater and in the boat are fun.

There will be a whole bunch of suggestions when the morning comes around.

At any rate congrats on the boat and welcome aboard!

Edit: whoops never hit post reply on this late last night!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I added a GPS speedometer to aid in speed display at lower speeds. My steering wheel was looking ragged so I replaced that, and I added a different throttle lever to have better control of the throttle movement.

My rear stereo control was damaged and ugly, so I replaced it with a 12v socket to power the inflator.

For the kiddos we purchased a huge rolling mat. 18x6 its a royal pain to store and deal with, but the kids play with it so so much, and it deploys in seconds and rolls up in about 2 minutes with another adult. (I have no idea how it can be rolled by one person) this is the best water toy we have ever bought, by a few orders of magnitude.

I got my sx230 in 2016 and so far it has been fantastic. I hope you have the same experience, or better!

I highly recommend ez locks if not already installed. (Spring contraption pin that prevents clean out plugs blow outs)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I almost forgot... Another bilge pump with a bilge alarm and float switch so if you ever get more water than you should, that you are alerted early and can defend from it.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also if you are going to get into water sports then some sort of speed control - I think the best option for our boats is Perfect Pass.

Nick T

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions! I am very happy to have found this site.. seems you're a very positive / helpful / friendly group of happy boatowners. It's a very nice feeling to be welcomed into the club. :)

Oh and one specific question: Does anyone have experience with Indy brand wakeboard towers? I did a search here and find only people who use their wakeboard mounts, but no one who explicitly said they're using that brand of tower. It seems well made and much less expensive than the Aerial Airborne tower.

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is only two downsides to this site..... The amount of time and money you will spend on things you never knew you needed.

In all seriousness welcome. @Bruce may also have some suggestions.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is only two downsides to this site..... The amount of time and money you will spend on things you never knew you needed.

In all seriousness welcome. @Bruce may also have some suggestions.
Like a fridge!

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh and one specific question: Does anyone have experience with Indy brand wakeboard towers? I did a search here and find only people who use their wakeboard mounts, but no one who explicitly said they're using that brand of tower. It seems well made and much less expensive than the Aerial Airborne tower.
I'm also interested in this tower. I hope others have some experience with their products, especially towers.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can tell you that Aerial won't honor their 5 year warranty on a simple mirror. The reflective part of the mirror fell out of the plastic housing while attached to the boat and went overboard.

They actually were quite rude to us on the phone. Not sure how they are when dealing on bigger ticket items but good luck! Maybe stay away from the Aerial tower and go with the other.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don't need a tower to wakeboard. Ive been boarding without a tower for 20+ years. Learn to clear the wake then think about a tower. I have an 04 ar230. I did the scupper, ez locks, 2nd bildge, new valves in the heads, oil, plugs, shut-off valves, stereo, amp, sub, rear remote, and trailer tires.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those Indy towers look to be well built and value priced. Certainly worth trying!

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You don't need a tower to wakeboard. Ive been boarding without a tower for 20+ years. .
Agree. Lots of folks on my wakeboards doing just fine w/o a tower.

Nick T

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
ok I'm going to enjoy the boat for a season and figure out how much I [strike]need[/strike] want a tower after getting used to it. I do think this Indy looks really interesting. Until then, so much else to explore and enjoy! Thanks all