• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trolling Lines i had an idea

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey I'm no fisherman and don't know much about it but i have a friend coming over to Thailand on holiday and i normally take him out fishing while he's here, Last time he came over we went trolling and we did good caught some decent fish, This got me thinking so i decided to see if i could make a reel and use that, I got some scrap 316 stainless and went to my local electrical shop for an empty cable reel, It took me a couple of days to work thing's out as i wanted to build a ratchet system on it and a brake so here's what i managed to come up with.

20190131_121110.jpg20190131_121123.jpg
This was the original idea, I used the table leg to slide the reel into easy to remove when needed, I then had to think about a brake and ratchet system

20190211_201018.jpg
I then cut out a gog and made a ratchet system and brake

20190211_201042.jpg

You can slide the ratchet and brake out of the line of the cog so it's just free

20190211_201104.jpg

Just an idea but works good the line goes through the drop down seat perfectly or you can use it in the transom table mount , Let me know what you think, Oh my friend is coming over with the correct line as i really have no idea what to use.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That's pretty cool, looks good, definitely spend less than buying a professional one and I'm pretty sure it will do as good or better, two thumbs up congrats

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's some "Deadliest Catch" shit!!!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Looks like a sawblade ready to cut someone!
But looks super strong and I am impressed! I am sure it will catch fish!!! Let us know!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's pretty cool, looks good, definitely spend less than buying a professional one and I'm pretty sure it will do as good or better, two thumbs up congrats
Thanks for that, The actual spool cost me about $1 and the 316 stainless was in the scrap bin so about maybe $5 and a couple of hours working how to do it and a few hours building it and making final adjustments, yeah it worked out ok, like i said iI'm no real fisherman but my friend from Utah comes over and i take him out, I sent him some photos and he was very pleased with the result, he can sit in a comfortable seat and control the line.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like a sawblade ready to cut someone!
But looks super strong and I am impressed! I am sure it will catch fish!!! Let us know!
Yeah thanks for that i will keep you posted

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What are you fishing for with that?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I could mount a trailer winch to a post and troll for tuna just crank the line instead of hand pull it in.

Very well done.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are you fishing for with that?
I've no idea but there's plenty of decent size fish here, Like i said I'm not fisherman and I'm waiting for him to bring the line.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Everything looks shiny! very nice... How sturdy does it feel when pushing the pole towards the back of the boat?(to simulate the pull on the line) The line could be rated for 100lbs or even more, so that's a lot of power pulling on the table base, with a long lever. make sure it holds that so everything stays on the boat and in the position it's supposed to be.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everything looks shiny! very nice... How sturdy does it feel when pushing the pole towards the back of the boat?(to simulate the pull on the line) The line could be rated for 100lbs or even more, so that's a lot of power pulling on the table base, with a long lever. make sure it holds that so everything stays on the boat and in the position it's supposed to be.
Thank's for the reply, Yes no problem that was solved in a previous post of mine under the heading Have you got a loose cabin table mount Take a look.

DaveCavette19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I’m assuming there is no drag. It’s either free spool or locked up tight? If you plan on trolling you better use high test mono. That will afford you some stretch in the line but not much....troll too fast and you’ll rip the hook right thru the fish’s jaw.

Need to build some sort of a drag system.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I’m assuming there is no drag. It’s either free spool or locked up tight? If you plan on trolling you better use high test mono. That will afford you some stretch in the line but not much....troll too fast and you’ll rip the hook right thru the fish’s jaw.

Need to build some sort of a drag system.
Thanks for that, I'm no fisherman so i take your advice onboard, We trolled at about 8 mph and used a thick glove as a drag system but I'm looking at making somthing that will do the job it's work in progress