• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Troubleshoot Radio

alphafilter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am trying to troubleshoot a radio issue in my '11 SX240. It has the JVC Radio in it an occasionally the right hand (starboard) side speakers will cut out both in the front and rear at the same time. Rocking the radio a little will get them to cut back on. From what I can tell from the wiring these should be an independant set of wires for each speaker. None the less I cant seem to find this "short" for anything. Is it possible its in the head unit itself? I have checked the connection from the head unit to the wiring harness and I have checked the connections on the back of each speaker.

Has anyone else run into this? Thoughts? Suggestions?

In frustration I would like to rip the entire thing out and replace it however I was trying to see if there was a wiring harness for this boat to keep from cutting up wires too much as well as finish researching what I would like to go with.

Thanks for any suggestions

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
sounds like a short, even if you can't find one. No contact = no sound. Short could be in head, but I have never seen that before. mine have always been in a wire connection.

Only thing that ever caused a gap in sound outside bad connections for me was amperage. Big watts require big amps and when they're absent, stereos do weird things. Charge those batteries.

I suggest practicing patience, and when it goes out, stop, grab a beer, and systematically wiggle wires until they play. Try to isolate it that way before cutting everything.

This comes from a guy that says, no radio = no boat.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had a problem with the factory JVC radio last year, no AM/FM at all. At first I thought it was the antenna, tried a new antenna on the radio and no change. I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood Kmr-765-bt. I also replaced the remote at the same time with with Kenwood. Threw the JVC in the dumpster.

alphafilter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will give it another run to see if I can find the short. I just find it odd that both speakers go out at the same time and come back at the same time when they are on independant wires. But I will give it another go.

Zipper, did the remote on that kenwood unit cover the factory remote hole well? Do you have any pics?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will give it another run to see if I can find the short. I just find it odd that both speakers go out at the same time and come back at the same time when they are on independant wires. But I will give it another go.

Zipper, did the remote on that kenwood unit cover the factory remote hole well? Do you have any pics?
When you say radio are you talking AM/FM? How does it work with other sources. If it's just with the radio then then antenna, wire, connection is the issue. If it's with iPod/external source, etc. then check the input wire (if you have one) and check the main connector for secure connection and check the individual pins to make sure they are not loose. I've had to cut and jump individual wires around connectors that went bad for no reason. There should be a bundle from the boat that includes your power wires and speaker wires, and a bundle from the head unit. Also unplug the remote if you have a wired remote. I know on the JBL head units the remote having an issue could stop output. Worst case is that there is an internal short inside the head unit. This would be last in the chain of troubleshooting. If that's the case then you could take it apart and try and find/solder the short or just get a new head unit.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@alphafilter I did have to hole saw the existing location to mount the new remote. Was easy when using a thin plywood template with a predrilled hole, aligned and held with the factory screw holes. this is because the center/pilot drill is in the existing smaller factory remote hole. One of the factory remote screw holes is still visible, I have only used silicone to plug the remaining hole not a color matched paste. 0826160930.jpg

Last edited: