• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Troubleshooting an overheat issue

wizitip_

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have a similar problem as another member @avi8or3117 and did not want to over take their thread.

New boat 07 210- purchased a month ago
Failed sea trial with Port engine OH after WOT for 15 mins
Bought anyway and tested again by myself, no issues running 7500 for 45 mins, pushed to WOT for a few minutes, then back down to 7500 and got the OH warning
Eventually I limped it back to the ramp checking periodically port engine, I did run it around 4k to get some cool water through it and the light went out.
I noticed the port pisser was warmer than the starboard - same as aci8or's issue. OH alarm was code 252.

My first thought was the T-stat was stuck closed. After pulling it and testing in a pot that didn't seem like the case. Also, after understanding the engine cooling more it seems like even a stuck tstat would not produce an OH alarm like it would in a car.

On the hose at home I do not get any OH alarms and the temps coming from the tstat transom port are roughly the same ~145F

The history on the engines are as follows:
Port is an SBT warranty rebuild from 2020
STB is an SBT from 2021
YDS shows engines have 250 hours - SBT ones probably only have about 30 hours on them if that. 2nd owner did not use the boat after port went out in 2020. In 2021 the STB engine went out. 2023 owner had it out maybe 4 times all year.

I changed all 8 plugs. Boat was used in mainly brackish water and 2nd owner flushed after every use.

I will do another sea trial with YDS hooked up to find out what is going on during the OH alarm. Since nothing seems to be blocking the screen/tstat/pisser port I'm wondering if the excessive heat in the port engine is caused by cavitation under WOT or blocked water passages in the jackets. Does SBT clean all those ports when they rebuild or is it just the block that gets replaced and the exhaust ports/jackets are the original?

Back