• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trying to design a carport for our Yamaha AR230

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm trying to come up with a decent design for a carport attached to our existing garage.

The problem is that the boat's tower is taller than the existing garage roofline. I'm not quite sure how to make it work to make it look good and keep the roof functional to shed snow.

I'm hoping you guys might have some ideas that might work to keep this boat under cover for the winter.

I will attach a photo of the boat next to the garage and a drawing my father-in-law came up with. (I don't like the way he has the roof overhanging the front and back of the garage)Garage.jpg Carport.jpg

Keep the roof on the original slant and just do not come all the way down. End 1 ft short of the original bottom roof line. Sorry I'm by know means an artist if I had a drafting board here would have drawn it up a little better.IMG_3151[1].jpg

or become really creative and follow the original roof line all the way and find a way to hinge the first foot or so of the front of the carport roof to raise and lower enough for the the boat to slide in and out;)

Haha, that was my original idea my wife thought I was crazy and wanted to be James Bond. :)

I would love to do that and be able to hit the garage door button to raise and lower it.
Are there actuators that will operate with a garage door remote? I suppose I can give my garage door installer a call and find out.
I can attach a picture of my original idea. Be forewarned, a 2 year old could probably whip up a better sketch.
Also my moveable section was more like 4 feet, but it could be closer to 1 foot and probably work.

James Bond Roof.jpg

I would look into modifying the tower so you can lower it. Find an aluminum shop, cut the back legs up high, insert a swivel joint, and then just clean up the existing front joints enough that you can swing the tower up and over and rest on the bow. With the rear legs swivelling to fold down, it looks like you should be able to fit under that existing roof line.

You can always do a simple test, just remove the rear bolts, disconnect your speaker wires and see if you can swing the tower over to the front. Then park next to the house and where you'd need to cut the legs to fit under the roof line.

Maybe, you don't even need to swing it up and over. Just remove rear bolts, swivel rear legs, lower tower, back into garage, then raise tower again.

All of my drawing skills are on a computer as well. What if you take the roof the other way and just add in a fill to make it look like one solid structure?

20151102_092836.jpg

Btw, I am thinking of doing something permanent also but until I decide what to do we are using this for the winter.

20150902_165823.jpg

Sell the house and move to Florida where you'll never put your boat away.

I would redo the existing garage doors and raise the header so all doors (new and existing)will be equal.

Also consider when building. What if in the future you upgrade and get a larger or taller boat.

What about excavating down to make the new section lower. It would require some drainage work but you could extend the existing roofline while having enough height for the boat to fit.

It looks like that material is a 9oz polyethylene... would that be sufficient for a snowy winter in New Hampshire?

I agree with modding the tower. Seems like an easy thing to do.

Do an 11' door and don't look back. Your soffit will be higher than the existing garage soffit but it will look fine. Form follows function and a structure built for a specific purpose exemplifies honest architecture.
You can keep the same roof slope. With the taller roof, it will somewhat mirror the tall house wall in the background.

I take my tower off to store it under my carport, then i just let the tower hang on the front of the boat. I place some pool noodles on the grab bars that are in the bow area and just set the tower on it. Seems to work ok for me...

It looks like that material is a 9oz polyethylene... would that be sufficient for a snowy winter in New Hampshire?

?????, but with the dome I am sure it will slide off. They have structures that are snow and wind rated.

Back