• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tubing off the tower

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know yamaha says do not use the tower for tubing but is it really that much more force tubing vs pulling an adult on a wake board? Do any of you tube off the tower? Any issues? The kids dont like the rope hitting the water and throwing spray in their eyes. It seems much better off the tower than transom.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I know yamaha says do not use the tower for tubing but is it really that much more force tubing vs pulling an adult on a wake board? Do any of you tube off the tower? Any issues? The kids dont like the rope hitting the water and throwing spray in their eyes. It seems much better off the tower than transom.
@Ibeflyinhigh ...... I was told (Yamaha dealer) the reason for this is the tower is ONLY rated for 1 (one) adult maximum weight 250 pounds and that tubing usually meant more than one person. If a 300 LB wakeboarder used the tower do I think that would damage it? No would be my answer - but I would not want to have multiple people on a tube being connected to the top of that tower. Question - pls educate me - what would be the advantage of pulling a tube with the wakeboard tower instead of using the transom tow ring? :cool:

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We tube off the tower all the time. No issues! Granted my kids weigh about 85 each. Multiple adults probably not a great idea. I think the advantage of up high is keeping the rope out of the water more to reduce face spray. Or get one of those goofy inflatable balls that go on the rope.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
i have a question for you guys who tow from the tower. im not sure how it is on all your guys towers but the little knob that you hook the tow rope to on the 275 tower is facing down. i am not all that versed in tow sports but it seems to me that when you slow down or get slack in the line, its just going to fall off. do you guys know if there is some fancy way your supposed to hook the rope to this to avoid that?

image2.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve towed multiple tubes ridden by adults many times without any issues. It’s easier to get the tubes airborne when towed from the tower but the down side is the line sometimes gets to the outside of the tower and can get hung up on a wakeboard rack.

@mrcleanr6 , the upside down tow point is unique to the 27 foot boats I think. No special knot, just attach it like you would put two rubber bands together (I.e., lead the line through the loop and around the tow point). It will tighten up when it’s pulled on and should not loosen up so much that it will fall off when the boat slows down and there is slack in the line.

I don’t know why my text is in bold by the way.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Thanks ron. Too late in the season to try any water toys now. I was just looking at that last time i was on the boat and was scratching my head.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The kids don’t like a little water splashed on them from the rope?!

Those poor kids...lol

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There are lots of posts about this. I pulled tubes, and two tubes at the same time, from the tower. No problems and much better lift and control. I added some length to the ropes to get them away from the spray.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Be careful towing a heavy tube from the tower. I have in the past and ended up getting cracks in the tower support brackets.
@capt ...... that's one of the things I was told could occur as well as damage to the release mechanism. :cool:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are several threads debating this topic (sometimes hotly).

One point made by the 'no tower tow' crowd that I think was pretty valid is that with a tube you likely will have more lateral forces on the tow point than with a wakeboard/skis. That slingshot effect in a turn with a tube with 3 kids on it can pull the tower to the side and bend it (or cause the cracks noted above). If you look at the tower, it is designed to hold a decent amount of forward/aft force--not so much on the port-starboard force.

That said, I have towed from the tower before. I did not die and the tower did not break. But then again I usually have a single rider and don't tow at excessive speeds. I think as long as you are aware of this weakness and the risks, you should be fine. Just don't go nuts.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with @tdonoughue , although I have gone nuts towing adults tubers from the tower before (I.e., tube rodeo style/the ride is not over until someone falls or gets bucked off), I have not done it often and not for many years now. This season I did tow my 17 year old son and his friend from the tower once, they skipped across the water more and the tube was more likely to get airborne but I didn’t notice any changes in the way the boat performed/handled when towing a single heavy wakeboarder or tuber from the low tow point or the tower.

We are not into wakeboarding or surfing and therefore don’t use the tower row point much. When I do used it I dislike having the line swinging port and starboard over the cockpit (If you have a forward swept tower this may be an issue for you). I also don’t like having to unhook the line from the Bimini frame (the line swings over the tower bar and gets caught on the Bimini poles/mounts and or wakeboard racks) when we do use the tower tow point. Just little nits as I’m not complaining about the tower, it looks great plus it functions to hold the Bimini up, along with speakers, lights, flag and mirror mounts as well as make a great satellite radio antenna stand). I just prefer the low tow point over the tower tow point for the reasons above.

Last edited: