• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tune and clean

Jester

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
NA
My mercury 120 won’t get up to speed just under plane speed any one have this issue also how can I run the eng while on the trailer Any recommendations on carb cleaning
Send help

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't have experience on your carb specifically, but have rebuilt several on cars. It can be a big job to do a full rebuild. Requires you to take your time and watch for springs and balls and things that are beneath ports.... Usually took me 1/2 to a full day. If you are needing a carb cleaning, you can sometimes get by with some external carb cleaner squirting, but usually that is just temporary and you will wind up breaking down the whole thing. A carb rebuild kit will have new seals and small parts that should be replaced during the rebuild.

Pro tip: Don't clean the removed carb with carb cleaner on an asphalt driveway. Carb cleaner eats asphalt. Duh...

All that said, my usual advice with any jet boat having trouble getting on plane or up to speed is to start with the jet. How is the impeller? Anything blocking or causing cavitation in the path of the intake? A chewed up impeller or missing caulk or open seams more frequently mess up jet performance (and more frequently than a poorly running engine).

Does any of that help?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I second my personal difficulty cleaning/rebuilding carbs to perfection. My old boat had a single cheap carb per engine ($199), so I would replace it instead when needed. Maybe find a local motorcycle shop willing to rebuild. It was such a pain to remove and reinstall, only to find the cleaning job was not perfect....I gave up. I hope if you undertake the job, you have better luck than I did.