• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Turning problem

Jadd Buchanan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
2017 AR195
Why does my AR195 turns sharp to the right but not to the left?

A couple of reasons:
1) The impeller spins one direction, which makes it so that the boat turns better that direction than against the spin. The same effect is had on prop boats (but more so); jet boats are not immune.
2) But it equally could be that you have your jet not aligned properly. Center the helm. Then measure where the jet is relative to the hull to see if it is pointing straight back. There is a little screw adjustment on the cable near the jet. Disconnect the jet, loosen the locking nut, spin out/in the adjustment and tighten the locking nut again. Then reattach.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the board!

A couple of reasons:
1) The impeller spins one direction, which makes it so that the boat turns better that direction than against the spin. The same effect is had on prop boats (but more so); jet boats are not immune.
2) But it equally could be that you have your jet not aligned properly. Center the helm. Then measure where the jet is relative to the hull to see if it is pointing straight back. There is a little screw adjustment on the cable near the jet. Disconnect the jet, loosen the locking nut, spin out/in the adjustment and tighten the locking nut again. Then reattach.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the board!

Thanks for responding and the information. After I had read a few other post, I decided that this is a common concern. I will check the alignment of the nozzle. Thanks again!

Do you have TVs or CJs? After the CJs and aligning the nozzles during the install mine 25' turns like a giant jet ski in either direction.

It is most likely what @tdonoughue indicated in his #2 point. When I replaced my steering cables I noticed that it would turn harder to the right. Found that the jets were angled more to one side. Since the steering goes lock to lock it wasn't lined up properly. Center your steering wheel equally between right full and left full then center your jet and adjust steering rod.

Disconnect the steering cable from the nozzle , then rotate the steering wheel all the way to the right ,place a piece of tape on top of the wheel then rotate it all the way to the left and place a piece of tape on top of the wheel then rotate the wheel back to the right until the 2 pieces of tape are evenly pointing down to the floor , now secure the wheel with a bungee cord to hold it centered, then reattach the steering cable to the nozzle while being sure it is dead center, adjust the cable if necessary , your nozzle will now travel evenly both ways.

It is most likely what @tdonoughue indicated in his #2 point. When I replaced my steering cables I noticed that it would turn harder to the right. Found that the jets were angled more to one side. Since the steering goes lock to lock it wasn't lined up properly. Center your steering wheel equally between right full and left full then center your jet and adjust steering rod.

Back