• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Twin Jet Operation Techniques

Tahoe Boater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've just purchased a 24' LS. Is there a reason the throttle controls are independent of each other. I'm thinking there may be some maneuverability techniques that can be learned. What exactly do cruise assist and no wake features do for you. I've been operating boats for years, single jet I/O, direct and V-drive, but this is my first twin.

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check it out on YouTube there’s a lot on there that will tell you.

Tahoe Boater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good video, thanks. Seems like most on this forum just use when engine for low speed maneuvering. I think the no wake setting should be helpful too. I have boating experience, including single jet day cruiser, but am returning to boating after a 20+ year hiatus. I live at Lake Tahoe, CA so am a bit concerned about rough water. On the day cruiser we had trim tabs, but I've been advised they won't be necessary with the Yamaha. I'll be taking a test run this week, but won't take delivery until the marina here re-opens in April. Thanks again for the link.

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting no mention of differential steering

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've just purchased a 24' LS. Is there a reason the throttle controls are independent of each other. I'm thinking there may be some maneuverability techniques that can be learned. What exactly do cruise assist and no wake features do for you. I've been operating boats for years, single jet I/O, direct and V-drive, but this is my first twin.
Check this cheat sheet out for very helpful operation with the independent throttles and our boats.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seems that even in the owners manual (available online if you didn't get one) they don't talk too much about independent control, other than the ability to only use one.

For a new jet owner, running them independently, may be more confusing than just getting the feel for the boat. They throttle sync/lock is so popular for this reason, they are usually ran together.

Good luck and take your time practicing.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Big caution - do not operate a single engine by itself. If you have to, do only at as slow of a speed as possible. Unlike a multi-engine stern or outboard setup, the cooling systems on these engines can/will flood the non operating engine with water.