• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Two Engines Versus One

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Need some help figuring out what to do. I have a 2017 Caparral 203 Vortex VRX on order with a delivery date sometime in July (we shall see). This boat has one 250 Rotax engine. I have been so anxious waiting since May that I have decided to potentially pull the trigger on a 223 instead and get delivery in a week. The 223 has two 200 Rotax engines. I understand the advantages of the boat being larger and having more fuel capacity (hello Bimini), but I am trying to justify the increase in sale price with the safety and security of 2 engines versus 1. Does this make any sense - there are reasons for one engine to go down but not necessarily the second, and the boat is actually safer with a family on-board because of it.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From a family safety and security standpoint, I like having two engines. It was a big selling point of the boat for us.

Keep in mind that there are some common systems - like your electrical system or your fuel tank - that could take both engines out of commission. Still, when you consider the number of moving parts, an engine failure seems more likely. Having a second engine means you have some redundancy.

I've read a few stories here about someone having to limp home on one engine for one reason or another. Beats the heck out of trying to get someone to tow you (never mind the humiliation factor ;)) or worse yet, trying to paddle one of these beasts.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe the boats handle better with two engines... less likely to fish tail and with the heavier weight handle better in rough water. Keep in mind that two engines do use more fuel than a single as well... I have a single engine 19ft Yamaha and it had been ideal for what we wanted to do with it.... ride 20 mins to the island, hang out all day and come back home.... occasionally take it in the Gulf (near shore and anchor beach side)

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
i have a 223VR with win 150's. Twin 200's would be perfect. The 150's are great, don't get me wrong. I get around 40 mph with a full tank of fuel (50 gal), a family of 4 and 2 dogs most of the time, when I push it. And that is plenty for us.

2 engine good... already discussed. back up is great.
2 engine not good (or just be ready) ... double routine maintenance. whether you do it yourself or have it serviced, things like oil changes and plugs are x 2 in cost.

the extra space in the 223 over the 203 is what sold me when I first looked at the 2 boats. Also, at least when I got my 2015, i was told (not sure if this is accurate) that the 203 only came with a single axle trailer and to get a dual, you needed 223 or 243. Like with engines, I like having the dual axles as well. (again, 2 x maintenance though, so + and - to everything)

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Plus
Better handling at all speeds
More power
Ability to limp home on one

Minus
Initial and ongoing maintenance expenses

Feul economy is less cut and dry.
Same hull same planing speed, the difference would be minimal

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
also... think about how you will use the boat. will it be just you and your family, or do you see yourself taking other families out. the 203 has a capacity of 8 people. The 223 has a 10 person limit. only my 223, when we have more than just us out, we usually have 8 total. the most we had out was 9, but it never felt crowded. We wanted the 10 person capacity limit though, over the 8, just so we could take 10 out legally.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They justification is in the performance. Two will offer you some security in being able to limp back in some scenarios not sure how much that's worth to you, but unless you are worried about being stranded for days not sure I would call it safety. If you are worried about a stranded scenario there are cheaper more effective measures over doubling up your engines.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A sea tow membership is less expensive than dual engines!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two is better than one!

There is a safety benefit, especially for salt water usage and the increase in power is a benefit.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jet Blue - As a owner of a twin engine boat I will most likely be rather biased, but I also chose my boat for these reasons. IMHO

Cons - maintenance cost. Especially with your supercharged Vortex engines at the 200hr required rebuild by the shop.

Pros - reliability. Yes the idea of saying its "safer" is hard to justify, however what happens if one overheats? If you loose radio/cell coverage? Looking at your location I am also guessing that at some point you will take to to the Atlantic or even better the Bimini trip. The extra fuel tank and power will truly come in handy at that point.
- Power. You are looking at a substantial increase in power = same fun trips no matter how many are on board.

Now --- if you decided to get a Yamaha instead you could also clean out your ports from topside (been there - done that), your engines and hull would be manufactured by the same company, your maintenance fees would be minimal (even with twin engines. I just did my 50hr and spent $167.. oil changes, plugs, grease)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jet Blue go for the 2 engines if boati g in the open ocean. Just tell the wife it came with a his & hers.

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good information and it is well appreciated. Even after I got the wife's sign-off on the 223, I decided that the practical decision was to stick with the 2017 203 over the 2016 223. I think the Bimini trip posts were clouding my judgement - and being on the same lake as @Julian had me nervous and feeling like I needed to Chaparral represent! Reality of my situation is I don't typically plan on taking my boat off of Falls Lake and this is already more than enough boat for my family needs. I think the practical decision for me is to buy my next boat 2nd.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My dad used to say "two engines = double trouble and expense." There is that.

On the jet boat, I like having a second engine for the mere fact that there are times when something will get sucked into the impeller (ski rope, dock line, that 1" tree branch there was no way you'd ever know its there, milfoil) and it's nice to have a second engine to get you to a safe spot to deal with it. Also with the two engines, you'll have 400 HP vs 250 HP. Do the horsepower to weight calculation and you'll see that those two engines will likely not have to work as hard as one engine.

I can't say how the Rotax engines are, but on my 232 with the MR1s a couple of weeks ago, they averaged a total of 5.4 gallons per hour for the pair. That was in completely mixed use -- cruising, wakeboard, tubing -- over the course of a weekend with anywhere from 5-8 people on the boat at all times.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
While not the exact same boat, I'd be happy to take ya out in my 210SE sometime with twin 215's, which is really close to what you are considering. Not sure what the price difference is for ya, and I surely can't decide for ya, but I think you'll be wishing you had the 223 pretty quick. Even with only 4 people, the 21 fills up fast. And with the room to run on Falls, the fuel *savings* with twins will add up fast also.

I hope you're getting the green no matter which one you end up with ;)

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As @Matt Phillips stated above the biggest concern on these boats is sucking something in to the jets. Just read all the stories on here about sticks, ropes, weeds etc jamming up a jet. Add to that the fact you don't get clean out ports on the chap you're even more likely to get stranded. Twin engines and clean out ports is the way to go..

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@veedubtek Appreciate the information and offer (even from a Penguins fan - old Lightning season ticket holder here). I sent the sales guy a note yesterday with my intention to stick with the originally ordered boat. If he happens to come back with interest in getting the 2016 off the lot as the 2017's are coming, then I will happily listen. I can justify more $ in my head, but not the difference he was presenting. Can't wait for the boat to show up so I can see ya'll out on the water.

ILfamilyboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We have the 203 VRX with the single 250. With 3 adults 2 children and a full tank of gas it topped out at 38 mph. Our lake has size and hp limits so I was limited to the 203 size wise. I could have gone for the twins and still been under the hp limit but I just did not want to deal with double the maintenance. Only a 300 acres lake so getting stranded not much of an issue.