• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ugh....attack of the tower rack :(

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm done tying up with boats that have non-swiveling board racks. Yesterday while tied up with a coworker who was tied up to a pier, our boats got rocked by this dumbass pulling a tube around the slough we were in. Idiot kept doing circles and all sorts of crap to make huge waves. We tried to keep our boats apart but the waves were too much and his board rack smashed into my tower taking out a bit of powder coat paint. Friends, if you plan to get board racks please do yourself and everyone else a favor and splurge for the swivel racks.

Let's start a campaign "FDLFBBRTDS" (Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Board Racks That Don't Swivel)

IMG_0021.JPG

Last edited:

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Awww dang..... I’d probably shed a few tears.... :’(

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Time to get a Sharpie.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
:D a sharpie would just fade to purple. Unfortunately since it's powder coated I can't do much other than rattle can or paint pen it. It would just flake more if I tried to mess with it'sand it down since it acts like a hard boiled egg.

Last edited:

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Let's start a campaign "FDLFBBRTDS" (Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Board Racks That Don't Swivel)

View attachment 82261[/QUOTE]

@haknslash I hate that for you! So many people out there that just don't give a damn and you end up paying for it...:mad:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The guy had no respect for anyone's piers, dock or boat moored in the slough. Just came through there hauling ass then starting doing circles and figure 8's trying to dump his kids off the tube and then left as fast as he came in the slough. Tubing or any watersports should be done either out in the open or away from anyone moored or in sloughs with people's property. Just stupid drivers, I wanted to haul ass and give him a piece of my mind but was too busy surveying the damage to out boats. My rub rail slammed above my buddies run rail on his Moomba and ended up leaving some nasty marks on his upper deck. We both suffered some damage from one dumbass not giving a shit about people or their property.

Here's a better picture of the damage :(

image.jpeg

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Isn’t the boater causing the waves responsible for the damage . If so is it enforceable when tied up compared to having your boat at a dock

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Isn’t the boater causing the waves responsible for the damage . If so is it enforceable when tied up compared to having your boat at a dock
Here's a good read on it https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/magazine/2015/october/boat-wake-damage-liability.asp. In short, yes the driver of the boat is responsible for damage caused by his wake. I don't think it matters what the other boat was tied up to since it describes collision as one boats wake hitting another boat or property. So technically that driver is responsible for the damages of my boat and my coworkers.

I had not even thought of getting insurance involved. Paying the deductible would be cheaper than taking off the tower to have it shotblasted and powder coated again. Of course using a paint pen or rattle can would be cheapest but not as pleasant looking up close.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dude that sucks.

I damaged a good friends boat Sunday with mine. We were leaving and I untied the lines between the boats before I pulled in the anchor. Got distracted getting the kids on the tube, wind blew the front tip of my boat into the side of his pontoon. Dinged the upright rail on his pontoon pretty good. Gonna have an estimate ran on it and see where we stand. Hope it isn't too bad.

Damage is never good, but not having a responsible party makes it worse. Good luck with the repair man!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here's a good read on it https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/magazine/2015/october/boat-wake-damage-liability.asp. In short, yes the driver of the boat is responsible for damage caused by his wake. I don't think it matters what the other boat was tied up to since it describes collision as one boats wake hitting another boat or property. So technically that driver is responsible for the damages of my boat and my coworkers.

I had not even thought of getting insurance involved. Paying the deductible would be cheaper than taking off the tower to have it shotblasted and powder coated again. Of course using a paint pen or rattle can would be cheapest but not as pleasant looking up close.
Honestly I had a mark on my tower upon delivery and I’m confident the dealer didn’t repaint the whole tower and it’s not noticeable. River Valley in Minnesota.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Being powder coated I'd try and seal the area asap, I've purchased a kit for repairing enamel and added colour to it to repair powder coat in the past.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@haknslash sorry that happened. I did a boneheaded move and created a larger scratch on my tower. I filed down the area and used high gloss black from a rattle can. Two years and the repair is holding up well.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nail polish?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nail polish?
You know, my wife has some acrylic UV cure polish that I've used in the past to cover small spots on her car that get dinged/scratched. Actually works pretty well.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Forgot to update this thread after my paint job fix. Looks much better and hardly noticeable unless you’re looking for it.

95E5A874-4A4C-4A60-A0F8-BE0A074C64E7.jpeg

4803F66E-E520-4E7D-BF38-63CBE8AA1B27.jpeg

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just masked it off close to the edge of the scratch and then used this hard enamel spray paint I had laying around. I use the same paint on my cast mail box and it holds a shine really good being totally exposed in the elements. My boat would never see that kind of outdoor abuse/use so it should hold up great for many years.

Since it’s a powder coated tower you can’t sand it down so this was the best thing I could do short of turning it in on my insurance and paying the deductible. There is still a lip on the scratch the I contemplated trying to carefully file it down but I didn’t want to cause even more damage. I think most people wouldn’t even notice it unless I pointed it out so I’m happy with the results.

Paint I used...

A19C312A-890C-487C-86E9-A90B80819435.jpeg

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally got the boat out since this happened a month or so ago. Really hard to notice the area now hat I’ve seen it out in the sun.

84A85C34-22B8-42E0-8EB8-DC5E480F5837.jpeg

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great repair job looks good

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I highly doubt this. If you anchor 1' off a rocky shore with glass water, you can't blame a boat for driving by and tossing you into the rocks. Plan on having waves all the time and you won't bump anyone.
I've docked at some crazy docks with occasional 4-6' wakes coming from 40'+ boats. Better tie it up right and use proper fenders. If you use little $10 fenders you'll have damage. Cross tie up is essential.

We tied up last weekend while on 2 moorings in one harbor, but we left a 6' gap on the next morning with rougher water.
20180928_115539.jpg
Don't rely on trying to sue someone for your mistake. This is the problem with America, no one takes responsibility for their own actions.