• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

undecided on jet or prop

Todd

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I own a 2013 242 and love it. I also own a Yamaha FZS wave runner with the supercharged 1.8 and love it. I also own a newer Sea Doo RXTX with there 260 hp supercharged motor. I have had more troubles than I want to list with the Sea doo. There warranty service stinks. It has cost me close to $3,000 for bad electronics, skimode problems, reverse gate motor problems, intercooler cracked and was leaking water into the motor. I will never buy any Sea doo products. they make the motors and electronics for Chaparall. Potential service and warranty issues would worry me.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You came to the wrong forum for an objective view on Prop v.s. Jet. . . . . . = )

That said, my 2 cents having owned both with what appear to be similar usage patterns is JET all the way.

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I like my props. I like being able to trim based on the water conditions, chop, etc. The heavier boat also rides like a dream in stuff that I'd have to slow down or carefully plan to drive thru so I don't slam down. I also have trim tabs (which you can add to any boat) that help as well. Plus, I like the throaty sound of the V8.

Fuel consumption has been similar to a little less compared to my yamaha, maybe I drove the yammie harder, who knows.

Yes, the props are there and yes I shut down when pulling someone out of the water, which you'd have to do with the jets as well or else they'll never catch you. Once anchored, they're no worse than the jet nozzles to kick...don't ask...they both hurt like hell.

True neutral - We had to shut off the Yammie for "neutral", otherwise we'd have to keep dodging boats at the ramps.

If I were in your shoes, I'd ask "who else will be driving my boat?". If only you, then either way you go will be fine from a manuevering perspective. However, if your buddies, or someone else will be occasionally driving I don't think I'd trust them with a jet to come pick me up out of the water (don't ask me here either). Driving an IO is more like a car in lamens terms and you have the outdrive to act as a rudder when in idle, on a jet there's nothing unless you have fins, but even with them it's a slower response.

I winterize and change my own oil, impeller, etc. so any maintenance cost increase is minimal. Now when it's time for a gimble bearing or something major that'll be different but that's a while down the road.

to each their own, and I'd certainly entertain a jet again, but for now I'm an I/O guy. Still love y'all though!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Still love you too brockhals. Thanks for your prospective. Don't be a stranger.