• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Underwater LEDs

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Some have asked how the LEDs were installed so below is a rundown on how I did it. Be sure to use marine grade material.

1. Determine best location for the LEDs and test the LEDs to be sure they are working

*From what I found on the Scarab it would be difficult if not impossible to place them outside of where you see them pictured (First and second pic) as the back "wall" is inaccessible on the sides. But if you find a way let me know cause I can always add more

IMG_4523.JPG IMG_4524 2.JPG IMG_4529 2.JPG
Inside Engine Compartment

2. Once the location of placement is determined, put painters tape where they will go (This will allow you to mark the holes as well as keep the fiberglass from "spidering" or whatever they call it)

3. Use the rubber seal provided with the LEDs as a template to mark the holes to be drilled (The instructions should tell you the proper bit size to be used)

4. ***MUY IMPORTANTE*** Make sure that when you drill the holes to drill them as perpendicular as possible and as exact as possible with relation to each hole. Reason being is that if you do not, when you screw the led light to the boat you will put stresses on the light and may crack it.....that being said....wipe the sweat, brace yourself and pull the trigger (It took me 10 minutes to finally get the nerve up but don't worry...it is really not that bad)

5. Remove the painters tape and wipe of the dust to get a good clean surface

6. Fish the wire leaving a foot outside the boat to work with (You should have 2 wires per hole but that is pretty intuitive) and crimp the wires to the LEDs leads making sure to put the rubber base on prior to crimping the wires

7. You can do this a few ways but the way I wired it is:

a. The positive leads went to the positive leads of the existing rear LEDs (Yellow wire you see in pic)

b. Negative leads tied together and went to the (-) post of the battery (If you have a

second battery then either battery (-) terminal will do)

IMG_4531 2.JPG IMG_4533 2.JPG
Tied Into Existing LED Existing LED

In this configuration I can utilize the existing LED switch to turn my underwaters on

8. When you run the wires be very neat….I just ran them in the engine compartment with the existing wiring in the black flex shield (Excuse the speaker wire....I got a little lazy)

IMG_4530 2.JPG

9. Prior to the next step test the LEDs to make sure they are still working….cause nothing suck worse than having a bad LED and mounting / sealing it

10. Now I admit I went a little overboard (Yuck-yuck.....ok....that was dumb I know) on the sealant but you can never have too much….you can always have to little. So I dabbed some in each screw hole, the hole for the wires, on the screws, and the backing of the rubber seal…and then once I installed them I put some around the edge of the LEDs (The sealant you use should show time for complete dry)

**Update - A little tip....use painters tape and tape around the edges of the LED's leaving a little space between the LEDs and the tape and smear the sealant around the LEDs. Take of the painters tape after a few minutes and you will have nice neat lines instead of just smeared sealant.

11. When you put in for the first time after install be sure to check periodically by opening the engine compartment and inspecting for any leaks….they will be small if any.

Very good video on this:

Last edited:

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As far as recommendation for location and number of led's to purchase what would you say? Would you do one above the drain plug then two on the outter side of each engine? Is 3 too much?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The website says they are 36 lumens each. Is that correct? My flashlight is 110 lumens so I hope those LEDs are brighter.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The website says they are 36 lumens each. Is that correct? My flashlight is 110 lumens so I hope those LEDs are brighter.
I see 600 lumens each listed on the WM website.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well that would make more sense but why am I seeing something different.

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well that would make more sense but why am I seeing something different.
Now that you post that pic..... I see the same thing but I read 600 in the description. Obvious error on their part.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am looking to do the same installation with 2 Bluefin P3's. What do you guys think?

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Lumens and water condition make a big difference for these lights.
I installed 2 boatplug.com drain plug lights 1k lumens each (2k total) and the first time in was out in a mangrove channel water was murky I was not to impressed. But the week after I was fishing open water ocean and it made a big difference. Could see the bottom down to 15-20 feet20160102_195231.jpg 20160102_195222.jpg 20160102_185531.jpg .