• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Unsure,hopefully 190sx be the boat!

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are really liking the new design on the 2019's! We got a price here at $32,800 out the door with a cover but I think if we wait until the big boat show in Indy in February and we just might try make a better deal there and bite the bullet. This is going to be our first boat and after all the research it seems like this is the way to go for what we want. We want to cruise a little,do a little fishing,pull the grandson on a tube. In a couple more years we plan on being snow birds in Florida or maybe full time residents so we need something to cruise the inter coastal and short trips in the gulf when calm enough.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
190's are really fantastic boats. They're economical to run and service yourself. They stow away easy in garages, and tow easy behind most midsize SUVs. We ALWAYS have ours LOADED. 4 adults, 4 kids, boards, tubes, coolers, at least 4 Tommy Bahama chairs, towels, life jackets, 10x10 pop up tent, and we can still manage a brisk 35-38 MPH. We've pulled tubes regularly, I wakeboard with my wife driving, and we all go fishing out on the lake. It's really the best of everything. I brought it down to my In laws in Cape Coral FL and we cruised canals and went out to Captiva and Sanibel. Got home and flushed it with the hose, gave the hull a fast wash down and we were done. You'll love this boat.

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Njmr2fan,That sounds like just what we are looking for! I see you have the cobra with fangs,are you happy with those and do they help a lot?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you can spring the extra bucks from the budget I really recommend getting the AR over the SX. I've had 19ft boats for the last decade, this is my first one with a tower. It's worth every single penny and then some.

Upsides to the tower:
It's easier to hold the boat at the docks.
There are no poles attached to the hull for the bimini
Gave us a spot to mount speakers and flag holder
The anchor light is integrated (getting another pole off the hull)
It's great for hanging things off of (bumpers, tie off ropes, towels, and even my hammock)

Downsides to the tower:
It's a bit more expensive up front
Has to be modified slightly (literally a 20min job) to fit under an 8ft door
Some additional items on the prelaunch checklist to ensure it's tight and safe
The mooring cover has two holes in it to allow the tower to pass through, potential leak spot ('19s might be different here)

Overall, our AR190 has provided us with 2 seasons of worry free fun and enjoyment. Very little maintenance, and only a few mods (sub $1k) that arguably weren't necessary for great fun. We can typically get a full weekend of use from the 30gal tank with mixed watersports/cruising/anchoring time. It cruised us down the Cumberland River to Nashville very easily and without incident. It tows behind damn near anything nowdays. My wifes Traverse has hauled it, my Trailbalzer towed it, I use a fullsize pickup now, but that was me future proofing the tow vehicle for the next boat. Usage with 4 adults and 4 kids and all the gear/coolers/etc is still very reliable and consistent. We can ski/wakeboard/tube with a full load, and still get into the mid 30's for speed (which is about all we want/need with that many people). The storage space on this boat is incredible, we haven't "filled" every compartment on a trip yet. The build quality isn't as nice as other boats, but it's the nicest (also the first brand new) boat we've ever owned and have very few complaints on quality. The engine has a history of reliability, and the rest of the propulsion system is so dead simple there isn't much to have to maintain. Winterization is literally a 15min task in the driveway.

The 190's are inexpensive boats to own, maintain, and store. Including fuel, and assuming no down payment, we're into ours for less than $350/mo averaged over the course of a year. We put ~70hrs on it in 2 seasons, so if we assume a 2:1 usage time to engine hours we're about $60/hr to own/operate/store. Cheaper than a rental (not counting tow vehicle costs), and we get to take it wherever we want whenever we want.

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2kwik4u, I like the AR but we don't like the seating on the port side. Wife says she wants her own bucket seat. Happy wife,happy life

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Was all set to agree on @2kwik4u on the AR, but if the wife wants a captains chair, best not to let he down haha!

LOVED our 190, some days I wish we had kept her, absolutely loved the simplicity and reliability, the cost to operate and maintain was completely fair, and we always got compliments. I honestly believe the 19ft Yamaha's deserve a class of their own, they have loads of space, and an awesome layout!

congrats on your choice!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Whisky is correct......UNLESS....You are willing to do some mods. I'm unsure which is most cost effective, adding a tower or swapping to a captains chair. I personally would swap to a chair before I added an aftermarket tower if I was starting from scratch.

I do think the wrap around seating in the AR makes the boat "feel" much larger than it really is. Neither is bad though, it's still a very spacious boat for the 19ft class IMO.

I LOVED the setup that Yamaha had a few years back with the 230 series where the passenger side could be either a bench or a front facing chair. Would love to figure out how to implement that into the existing 190 floorplan. Get the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can’t recall who it was but I want to say it was @JetBoatPilot that said the 19’s tower now sits lower than previous years. If that’s true I guess Yamaha took our tower mods into account :). Either way like mentioned the tower is well worth it IMO. I use mine to hang bumpers and hold my boat as opposed to having to hold onto the windshield at a dock with the SX. I’d rather swap in the captains chair than add a tower to a non-tower boat. It would be cheaper and easier to install than a tower.

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yea would be easier to install seat but,the AR are $5000 more from prices I got! They are nice but I really think SX is the one for us.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really like our Cobras. They are in the Always DOWN position, so when im wakeboarding the tail end can be dragged my me digging into the water and coming around the side. Its much easier to steer slow and at speed. My kids drive, my wife drives, and even new boaters have an easy time. Ithink youd like them.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea would be easier to install seat but,the AR are $5000 more from prices I got! They are nice but I really think SX is the one for us.
Not sure what prices you’re being quoted for the ‘19 AR, but for reference I purchased mine two weeks ago and paid 32,700 before tax. That included dealer freight, prep, anchor and coast guard packages, plus the black premium Mooring cover.

I had another dealer they would do 31,900 for just the boat bare, meaning none of the add ons.

My original quote though was about 36k with freight and prep before tax. Don’t be afraid to haggle, also call around. I would of drove the 2 hrs to the other dealer if the local one wouldnt of dropped their price.

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yea that's about right for around here also. $32,700 +tax here would be $34,998. That's still cheaper than they are here. The SX was $32,800 out the door with cover. Wife is set on a captains chair for her so no AR for us lol!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea that's about right for around here also. $32,700 +tax here would be $34,998. That's still cheaper than they are here. The SX was $32,800 out the door with cover. Wife is set on a captains chair for her so no AR for us lol!
Happy wife, happy life.

Mine was on the fence about the seating, and decided the tower was the better option. Only a couple times has she wanted a captains chair while underway. She usually sits in the back and uses the passenger rear side like a chaise lounge when underway.

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Happy wife, happy life.

Mine was on the fence about the seating, and decided the tower was the better option. Only a couple times has she wanted a captains chair while underway. She usually sits in the back and uses the passenger rear side like a chaise lounge when underway.
Where did you buy your boat from? I know just add water in Indy and there is a dealer in Michigan City. Is there another place I'm missing?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you buy your boat from? I know just add water in Indy and there is a dealer in Michigan City. Is there another place I'm missing?
We bought from Yamaha of Louisville. Can't say enough good things about them either. Steve was our salesman and was easy to deal with and easy to contact. I forget the owners name, but he's a great guy to deal with as well.

*edit* wife and I think the owners name is Justin. He gave us a test drive about 6 years ago on his personal sx230. He remembered us 4 years later when we showed up to actually buy.

Last edited:

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We bought from Yamaha of Louisville. Can't say enough good things about them either. Steve was our salesman and was easy to deal with and easy to contact. I forget the owners name, but he's a great guy to deal with as well.

*edit* wife and I think the owners name is Justin. He gave us a test drive about 6 years ago on his personal sx230. He remembered us 4 years later when we showed up to actually buy.
Did you have any problems getting a title for your trailer since Kentucky does not title boat trailers? It's a pain to get a used one titled here so I don't even look at one from KY.

Andy Orton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We bought the SX-195 for some of the same reasons. Now I wish I would have gone with the AR... but it didn't come in blue in 2018! My wife always sits on the back bench and the passenger captains chair is basically a bag holder. I looked into adding the OEM tower. Its pricy, cheapest I found was $2600, not including installation. There are aftermarket options that are cheaper, but they don't look as nice. I think I'll be using this boat to pull skiers/boarders a lot more than I had originally planned so I'm considering adding the OEM tower despite the cost! The ski locker is another issue, it barely fits my one wake board so I'm going to need a place to put the others! Maybe I should just upgrade to the AR210... :greedy:

Hope you enjoy your boat! They are a blast, no matter the model!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you have any problems getting a title for your trailer since Kentucky does not title boat trailers? It's a pain to get a used one titled here so I don't even look at one from KY.
No problems at all. We had to fill out a special form at the BMV here in IN, but we had the VIN and Bill of Sale with us. We also physically brought the boat/trailer with us to the BMV for a VIN inspection on both the trailer and the hull.

When I sold my last boat to someone in Indianapolis, I was living in East Louisville. They had a 2 month ordeal to get a VIN number assigned to the trailer, and get it titled and licensed. So I get the hesitation. We had zero issues with the Yamaha though, and I think that was helped because the trailer already had a VIN, and it was brand new with the bill of sale.

We had a larger problem with the AR190 not being a model number in the BMV database. SO they had to have a manager create that model number. Still only took 20 minutes in the BMV even with the few small hiccups. It was really no big deal.

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No problems at all. We had to fill out a special form at the BMV here in IN, but we had the VIN and Bill of Sale with us. We also physically brought the boat/trailer with us to the BMV for a VIN inspection on both the trailer and the hull.

When I sold my last boat to someone in Indianapolis, I was living in East Louisville. They had a 2 month ordeal to get a VIN number assigned to the trailer, and get it titled and licensed. So I get the hesitation. We had zero issues with the Yamaha though, and I think that was helped because the trailer already had a VIN, and it was brand new with the bill of sale.

We had a larger problem with the AR190 not being a model number in the BMV database. SO they had to have a manager create that model number. Still only took 20 minutes in the BMV even with the few small hiccups. It was really no big deal.
I called the DMV and they told me since KY sales tax is 6% and IN is 7% I would have to pay them 1%! I said how can you charge me a sales tax when I didn't buy the boat here? Because your a resident is what she said. Unbelievable how they are always in our pockets. I guess I need to figure that in on my cost to see if it's worth the trip down there to buy. Did they throw any stuff in on your deal,like cover,bumpers etc.?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I called the DMV and they told me since KY sales tax is 6% and IN is 7% I would have to pay them 1%! I said how can you charge me a sales tax when I didn't buy the boat here? Because your a resident is what she said. Unbelievable how they are always in our pockets. I guess I need to figure that in on my cost to see if it's worth the trip down there to buy. Did they throw any stuff in on your deal,like cover,bumpers etc.?
Yeap, I paid the 1% at the BMV as well.

Threw in the shipping cover and that was about it. Got the "boat show price" which was $500 under MSRP, and I think free "setup" which was somewhere around a $400 "value" or something like that. I had to buy all the vests, anchor, etc that was needed.