• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Updated Single Engine Lateral Thruster Installation Video

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys and gals,

Here is the updated Lateral Thruster installation video for single engine Yamaha boats. We updated this video due to the changes made in the manufacturing process. The install should take you about 10 minutes if you have a non-articulating keel model and about 15-20 minutes if you have the keel.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
5770BB5F-3F16-4A85-B860-70A5FB7B51FE.jpeg

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Why didn't I think of that?!! lol

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Can you provide a link to those pliers so people can order them prior to receiving the product?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Simply Google or Amazon search for snap ring pliers external bent tip. Don't get the straight tip or 90 deflgr. 45 degree is what you need also called bent tip. Should range from $10-$20 dollars.

CA Sterling Archer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
19A749F1-C13C-4423-8A8C-563F5030689B.jpeg E52729B0-CD11-4DA1-AFD2-C9FEFF0B2949.jpeg Just installed my lateral thruster on my 2013 AR192. I had some small issues, but overall not to bad. These tips worked for me, hope they work for you if you’re having same problems.

To start with I had the original model (not new casting) with the hinge flaps. I replaced flaps with the replacement wedges. I’m glad I did this before I installed since they were a pain to position correctly.

First issue I had was the location of the hole physically on the lateral thruster. Mine was more aft (when installed) on the lateral thruster. To correct this, I had to swap the port and starboard straps to fit in corresponding holes on the jet nozzle. My straps angles backwards and not forwards.

Second issue I had was the length of the short stabilizer strap screws. I cleaned the holes on the jet pump best I could as described in the video (which were clogged with dirt), but even doing so resulted in the bolts not being able to fit all the way in. To fix this issue I used the shorter bolts I had taken off of the port side anode. Cleaned them throughly and installed with lock tight. They seemed to fit flush.

Hope to try it out this weekend. @JetBoatPilot , let me know if this is installed incorrectly for my situation, thanks!

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes you're correct, those straps were originally designed to be the way you have them installed on the machined version of the Lateral Thruster SE (V1). Cast versions had the hole placement changed to allow installation in from the top.

We're actually discontinuing that version with the bend all together in favor of a strap that comes down and screws in from the side. This will make that portion of the install much faster and easier.

We're also shortening those right side bolts a bit so you don't have the issues with bottoming out like you did. Sorry about that.

Glad you got it all worked out. We look forward to hearing your review!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Needs to be a 45 degree external snap ring plier. Amazon for about $12

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When will the sea deck promotion start where in September do you have a certain date that you need to have your order in?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It started this morning. Email anytime this month to get in on the promo!

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ok. Now I’m stuck on the first step. I got the snap ring off but can’t get the rudder pin out. It won’t move up or down even if I pry or bang it. In the install video they don’t even show this because it looks like it slipped right out. If anybody has done this before do you have any tips?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Watch this video:

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Watch this video:
Thanks. Besides all the hassle of taking the jet pump off this method says to take the bottom snap ring off and punch it up from the bottom. It's ok to reuse the bottom one?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As long as you don't stretch it out during removal. It is not critical like the one on the top as the water flowing out of the reverse nozzle won't really pose a threat to blowing the hinge pin out if the lower snap ring fails. Ask me how I know this can happen.....lol

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ok I’m installed and ready for water trials. I wasn’t comfortable taking the whole pump off so I left it on and used a crow bar to push the pin down using wood, sockets, wrenches. Whatever I could fit in there.
It was easier putting back after I WD-40’d the whole assembly but still needed a hammer to tap it up. Doing it from the bottom pushed the plastic insert out so I used a wrench to hold it in while tapping the pin up from the bottom.
For the removing / installing the snap ring I actually had better success using a 90-degree angle plier and coming in from the side. I don’t have thrust vectors installed though.

Attachments

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ok I’m installed and ready for water trials. I wasn’t comfortable taking the whole pump off so I left it on and used a crow bar to push the pin down using wood, sockets, wrenches. Whatever I could fit in there.
It was easier putting back after I WD-40’d the whole assembly but still needed a hammer to tap it up. Doing it from the bottom pushed the plastic insert out so I used a wrench to hold it in while tapping the pin up from the bottom.
For the removing / installing the snap ring I actually had better success using a 90-degree angle plier and coming in from the side. I don’t have thrust vectors installed though.
Yeah I had the same issue with plastic insert on top, literally I spent more time with that thing then the entire install.