• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgrading my tow vehicle.....

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So guys....

As much as I dont want too, i need to get something better than what I have in my ford exploder 2008 4x4.
I have gotten a solid deal from the local dodge dealership.

http://www.fitzmall.com/Inventory/Detail/00003981558/NEW-2016-RAM-1500

I told them 35k OTD, they started at 39k.
I really like the Tundras, but I already have a car payment, and I dont want to drop 50k honestly on a new truck....

Thanks yall

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You could by @veedubtek 's ram ecodiesel in classifieds. I enjoy my ecodiesel in the ram but the Hemi is no slouch I had a 2012 and it was great but wanted the mileage out of the ecodiesel. The ride is amazing on them but they need some type of bag in the rear. I use AirLift 1000's with great result but there is a variety on the market. The truck squats quickly with a load and has a lower payload but for a small travel trailer and or boat it is beyond fine imo.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I would say go with an F150 but then I remembered I was going to buy one of those late last year/earlier this year but I bought a house instead.

Let that one sink in a little bit...

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would say go with an F150 but then I remembered I was going to buy one of those late last year/earlier this year but I bought a house instead.

Let that one sink in a little bit...
Well I am in the middle of that discussion as well as you can imagine :) LOL

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could by @veedubtek 's ram ecodiesel in classifieds. I enjoy my ecodiesel in the ram but the Hemi is no slouch I had a 2012 and it was great but wanted the mileage out of the ecodiesel. The ride is amazing on them but they need some type of bag in the rear. I use AirLift 1000's with great result but there is a variety on the market. The truck squats quickly with a load and has a lower payload but for a small travel trailer and or boat it is beyond fine imo.
THe only reason I am looking new is because of the 0% apr, and I got them down to 35k OTD....

I'm a car guy.... I dont know the big differences between big horn, laramie edition etc etc...

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look for a used diesel, we completely went away from gas tow rigs, diesels will tow anything you want with ease, they get great mpg, and they hold their value quite well.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well I am in the middle of that discussion as well as you can imagine :) LOL
I've never been much into Dodge but from the pictures in your link the equivalent F150 is probably $5k more. Price that one in Waldorf or Sterling, VA though. Local dealers are fairly high even though they are owned by the same company (so is Waldorf but higher volume).

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've never been much into Dodge but from the pictures in your link the equivalent F150 is probably $5k more. Price that one in Waldorf or Sterling, VA though. Local dealers are fairly high even though they are owned by the same company (so is Waldorf but higher volume).
I priced it out in waldorf and its higher... which is nuts... IMO....

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look for a used diesel, we completely went away from gas tow rigs, diesels will tow anything you want with ease, they get great mpg, and they hold their value quite well.
@AZDANSX230HO this is greek to me but...

ENGINE
-Engine Type REGULAR UNLEADED V-8
-Engine Type INTERCOOLED TURBO DIESEL V-6

Odd but explain LOL

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I priced it out in waldorf and its higher... which is nuts... IMO....
Ford or Dodge? Ford is typically lower from what I've seen. I've never priced Dodge.

Have you looked at Truecar?

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That said, my F150 is a 5.4L and it pulls my boat with zero issues. They really aren't heavy...

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That said, my F150 is a 5.4L and it pulls my boat with zero issues. They really aren't heavy...
agreed with that statement...

I wouldnt be pulling anything heavier than my trailer and boat....

The v-6 diesel sound interesting though..

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like the second one since it's the EcoDiesel. I get a normal 22-24mpg or more on daily driving and 18-20 towing my 230. TruCar is what I used and it saved a lot of money and headaches. Love the diesel on my truck. They just changes specs so oil changes aren't as expensive anymore. But still 10 quarts but simple to do filter is a cartridge on top of motor. I would recommend a test drive. It doesn't have the pedal to the metal pull of a gas but sounds good and is great pulling and just driving. Either way you will like the Rams I think.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2015 F150 2.7 ecoboost is currently in the body shop getting repaired from a recent accident. Anyhow, my rent a car has been a Ram Hemi Quad Cab. It's nothing fancy but I have enjoyed the Hemi. What I do not like as much is the room in the Quad Cab. It is extremely tight back there and completely not practical for anyone who will actually carry passenger(s) in the back. I would assume their crew cab is much bigger and similar to my F150, as it has more room then my wife's 4runner. I guess my point is, if you think you'll haul people around, I would really consider a crew cab.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@chess I went through all this last year. Ford vs Chevy vs Ram vs everything. Came into it with no preference whatsoever. Analyzed every possible configuration even analyzed 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton. I obsessed about this for over a year. Had all sorts of spreadsheets to analyze the cost differences...obsessive. Every truck/engine has plus's and minus's and every manufacturer makes really nice stuff these days. Just a matter of what you NEED and what you want to pay for. Trucks these days are too expensive to pay for crap you don't need. Ultimately if I was rich and money was no object, I would have gotten the F150 Ecoboost, but they think too highly of them. The Ram was next best and much more economical. I ended up with Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 4WD, 5.7 V8 with a 3.92 rearend and after a year still very happy with my choice.

I had a VW Jetta diesel and liked the torque of the diesel car and really liked the ecodiesel RAM, but newer diesels are a mess due to EPA regs and a ticking money bomb (in my opinion). Unless you are going to put 20000+ miles/year or towing all the time don't do the diesel. Just not worth the extra expense and hassle. Again my opinion from what I have read to exhaustion on various internet forums for YEARS.

My Ram gets 22mpg if keep it below 60. Gets 12-14 towing my AR210. Average about 17-18 at interstate speeds. (it's flat & sea level here) It is 4wd and rides nicer than my dads 2wd F150 and cost $7K less. Ask yourself how much are you really towing to need 18mpg towing? Your boat might get 3mpg and you are worried about the difference between a truck getting 18 vs 12mpg towing for just a few miles and going to pay $5K premium for this difference?

I suggest you dig on this site http://www.ram1500diesel.com before you go the diesel route. Some ecodiesels have really good luck, some spend a lot of time getting to know the dealers. The ones that get driven a lot have less problems. That goes for all diesels. Overall, though it seems to be a roll of the dice with the ecodiesel. By comparison my Hemi Ram is 11months old, 14000 miles and zero problems and tows my boat or a 21ft camper or my buddy's broke down Jeep like a champ.

Ok I'll get off my soapbox now. The view was nice from up there though.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow great replies guys wow thank you so much !!

I agree after looking the crew cab and not the quad cab is the way to go....