• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used Boat Advice - Patched Crack

BoatLife

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey everyone. Was hoping to get a few opinions regarding a used boat that meets almost all my marks. The boat got dinged by another and the owner had a patch applied to it. He said it would cost ~$1100 to have it look like new again.

Should I avoid this boat at all costs?? Is it no biggie?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That looks like I did the fix after a few beers lol.

I would probably avoid this unless it is an absolute stupid deal.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya I’d agree with Adrianp86, if it’s a good price then maybe.. I’d like to see a before photo to see how much damage it actually was, really no telling if it was just a “ding” or if it pierced the hull and caused a ton of fiberglass damage. Since it looks like the worst patch job I’ve ever seen. If you’re serious about it then when you look at it try to get to the backside of the damage from the port side seats to feel around.. And then feel the damage yourself if it feels spongy or solid.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Whenever I hear stories like this, whether it be boats, cars or otherwise, I always ask myself, why didn’t the owner fix it if it’s so easy? Most likely the repair is much more involved than they’re leading on.

I’d require a detailed inspection of the damage by a glass shop before signing a contract.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Whenever I hear stories like this, whether it be boats, cars or otherwise, I always ask myself, why didn’t the owner fix it if it’s so easy? Most likely the repair is much more involved than they’re leading on.

I’d require a detailed inspection of the damage by a glass shop before signing a contract.
I agree but I think it goes another step. If this is the way they “solved” this problem, what other shortcuts have they taken. I think it speaks to how they cared for the equipment overall. Stupid good deal? Maybe. Regular deal and I walk.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tell him to fix it and you'll buy it. It's a pretty 'safe' place to have damage repaired, but it looks terrible.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey everyone. Was hoping to get a few opinions regarding a used boat that meets almost all my marks. The boat got dinged by another and the owner had a patch applied to it. He said it would cost ~$1100 to have it look like new again.

Should I avoid this boat at all costs?? Is it no biggie?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
To me, this is not a 'ding', it's was a lot more serious than that. That has to be one of the worst repairs I've seen in a long time even taking into account that black hulls shows imperfections more than other color hulls.

My guess is that it would also take more than $1100 to make it look new again.

I would agree with @adrianp89, that it would take an exception discount ( a lot more than $1100) to make this boat a good buy.

Here is what I am doing. Instead of looking for a fancier boat at a cheap price, look for a less fancy boat at a fair price.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Also this should be pretty easy to check from the inside, but again I wouldn't buy it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Even for a $5K discount over similar boat, I'd be wondering...what else happened he fixed with this same skill?

Ultimately it's up to you and your confort, but is there something else that makes this boat greatly appealing?

BoatLife

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Appreciate all the responses.

Here’s a little more information regarding the deal. The boat is a 2010 242 limited s with less than 150 hours on the engines. As of now, it is priced just above $30k.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Appreciate all the responses.

Here’s a little more information regarding the deal. The boat is a 2010 242 limited s with less than 150 hours on the engines. As of now, it is priced just above $30k.
Did you ask him about the oil coolers? They typically failed around 100 hours in the 2010’s. If you don’t know what I’m talking about… search it here and read up. Something you may have to deal with if previous owner has t already.

BoatLife

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you ask him about the oil coolers? They typically failed around 100 hours in the 2010’s. If you don’t know what I’m talking about… search it here and read up. Something you may have to deal with if previous owner has t already.
Thanks, asking about it now.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2010 242 ls and put a half dollar sized hole in the hull at the bow near the anchor locker , i put another chip at the stern near the anchor light mount about the size of a box pen cap. Hi was about 5 years ago. The total repair bill was $3600 with only $1,200 being for the chip repair (white part of the hull). The invoice indicated that the hole repair took over 20 hours to complete (lots of sanding). Guy told me matching black is the hardest thing to do. It did look like new. I think it will cost a lot more than $1,100 to fix a blemish that big even accounting for CA prices.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Not an AR but a year newer. Can prob snag for 31