• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used Yamaha AR230 with 400 Hours

personalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Saw an interesting AR230 HO- 2006 for sale with 400 hours on the engines. Price seems close for the age and hours but the hours does scare me a bit.

Some questiosn that would really help me with buying decision.

*Is there an exspexcted engine life that this would have already exceeded? I come from a jetski where 300 hours ski is really high Am I already on borrowed time or if well maintained would a 400 hour engine be just marginally more likely to die then say a 200 hour engine?
*Is there a major or engine out service that should have been done or should be done on a boat with this many hours?
*Anything special I should look for when checking the boat out? ie any known problems to look out for?
*If I were to blow an engine next year and replace myself is it reasonable to get back on the water for $3000? I see what I think is replacement SBT engine for $2300. It seems to fit a few skis and boats. Is it reaonable to find a remanufactored or good used on in this price range? Just trying to figure out what worst case sitaution is.

Thanks is advance.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a 2004 ar230 with 400hr. Second trip the port engine wouldn't start. Tested low compression. Then i found out you can't buy new engines anymore and sbt has mixed to terrible reviews. Luckily mine just needed new valves and a couple seats cut. It was about $2k for parts and machine work with me doing the labor. Lots of these engines are old and corroded. Do a compression check before buying!

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It really depends on how it was maintained. A detuned version of the MR1 engines in these boat are also used in the VX waverunners that routinely rack up 1,000+ hours in rental units. As Jgorm said, do a compression check and make sure you have a sea-trial. If everything is working well on that boat it should do about 50 on the water. If it get up to 45+ without cavitation or other hesitation, thats probably a good start.

Also, check this section of the forum for know issues with those era boats - https://jetboaters.net/threads/known-issues-for-boat-years-2003-2009-with-mr1-engines.15464/

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the boat ran 100 miles per hour, 400 hours is like 40,000 miles. The old age is more concerning, but it gives me peace that the boat was probably used quite a bit. They go bad from sitting and rusting. With a boat this old it's a crap shoot, but experience has been positive for most. If the price matches the added risk and makes you comfortable, it could work for you.

personalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you cant buy a new MR1 engine is SBT the only game in town if the engine grenades? Can they be rebuilt? Agree on the compression test as being something not to skip.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you cant buy a new MR1 engine is SBT the only game in town if the engine grenades? Can they be rebuilt? Agree on the compression test as being something not to skip.
You can buy all the parts, but it will cost 15k+ and then you need to put it all together. I think the block is 5k and the heads are 4k. That's no pistons crank rods valves sound etc.

personalt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
is the same true with the newer engines that you cant buy full engines or is this just true with the older ones? Current owner had it for maybe 2 years and did 30ish hours on it before buying another jet boat. He is in salt water not sure histroy before it.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will probably shy away from a 13 year old boat with 400 hours that I have no history on it. Now, say @swatski was putting this Ar240 with 400 hours, then I would buy on a heardbit. Random person, not so sure. But that is just me though. I am not big to project boats, or potentially project boat.

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read somewhere that 50 hours on a boat is equivalent to about 15,000 car miles. If this holds true, I see cars on the net with 150,000 - 200,000 miles all the time for sale. From my own experience with engines is that as long as you change the oil and maintain them they will go for a LONG time. Modern engines are remarkable pieces of engineering.