• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Using a Boat Buddy II

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tips:
1. It is better to have the trailer too high up the ramp than too low. If it is high you can power load slowly or use the winch to pull the boat up to the bow stop. If it is too low you chance boating into the bow stop/boat buddy at speed, damaging the Boat Buddy and possibly your boat.

2. The housing of the boat buddy is thin, so make initial contact slowly.

3. Leave the power up on the engines until the safety cable is attached along with the winch strap.

4. Pull the pin on the Boat Buddy before you cut the power to the engines, it reduces the chances the boat will slide back and bend the pin or otherwise make it difficult to pull later/the next time you launch.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After watching all of that, I do not see any advantage of the boat buddy over a conventional winch? I have always used a winch and pretty much the same process as you showed. Power the boat to the stop, rach over attach the winch, tighten and pull the boat out. Now I do hit the brakes hard once on flat ground to make sure the boat is settled where it wants to be, then attach the rear buckles, double check the winch strap and connect the safety chain. What advantage is there to the boat buddy? I am curious.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Englewoodcowboy , @txav8r got me thinking (it's a good thing) about the same question. In retro spect the way that I used the boat buddy in the video gives me nothing more than audible confirmation that my boat is positioned on the trailer correctly it does NOT make things any easier for me.

Since my intent is to refine the recovery process I plan to change it going forward assuming I remember to do so.
I mentioned this in other threads, I hate being "that guy" at the ramp that Takes up too much time at the ramp launching or recovering.

I will do different things depending on whether I'm alone or have help.
If alone, I will simply kill the engines when the boat buddy engages, climb out secure the safety cable and winch strap and disengage the boat biddy pin before pulling the boat up the ramp to the staging area to blow the engines out, secure the transom straps and possibly put on the cover in prep for the ride home.

If I have help I will do what I did in the video except my help will secure the safety cable and winch strap as well as disengage the boat buddy pin before pulling the boat up the ramp to the staging area while I blow out the engines on the way there.

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and comment on it.

I have to note that when all the trailer upgrades work and I use them correctly it is a beautiful thing. When done right I sometimes just pull the boat to the top of the ramp, secure the boat buckles at the stern and get right on the road. From getting the boat on the trailer to putting the tow vehicle in gear to hit the freeway in less than two minutes (assuming I don't cover the boat, I don't wipe it down after every use either, it's a boat of water spots or the scum line hurt it between uses I bought the wrong boat).

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I dont think something like that would work for all my ramps. The steep ones I have to leave the boat about a foot from the roller so when I pull it out it will settle correctly on the bunks and if ti doesnt then but the time I drag it that last foot it settles in. Its a pain but if that is your primary ramp to use, wow it is nice! I have ramp envy!