• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Using dollys to position 242 Limited S in my shop

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I wanted to move my boat to the side of my shop to make the center of the shop available for other winter projects. In order to do this I ordered 4 dolly's from Northern Tool.

I jacked each wheel and set a dolly underneath ensuring the dolly wheels were pointed in the direction of my intended path of travel. I cleared the floor of any FOD with a broom ensuring a smooth surface.

From there I (solo) pushed the boat/trailer sideways about 11 feet. I was surprised that I was able to do this by myself.

After I fine tuned the position I wanted the boat in I then placed a jack stand under each axle to keep tires off the ground. To note..with my other boats I've never raised the wheels off the ground for the winter until this year. Why this year...pshhhh beats me.

Regardless...I'm quite happy to have access to the rest of my shop. Next April I'll perform this process again and reposition the boat to the center of the shop.

All in all...success in my book.

Living the dream...

Attachments

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice!

One of these days I hope to have a shop to park my boat in...as my wife says, at our forever house...I'm tired of moving every couple years.

Funny you said you removed the FOD, don't hear that much around these sillyvilians:)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I assume FOD is short for foreign object danger because once upon a time a long time ago I was an Airman in the Navy. Nice set up @USN SCPO RET .

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Foreign Object Damage is what we prevented by removing the FO (foreign object) in the Air Force....guess I still am in the Air Force, just as a civilian now.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I assume FOD is short for foreign object danger because once upon a time a long time ago I was an Airman in the Navy. Nice set up @USN SCPO RET .
Yessir...Foreign Object Damage. I heard a new acronym last week...DOD = Domestic Object Damage in reference to an USAF engine.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Foreign Object Damage is what we prevented by removing the FO (foreign object) in the Air Force....guess I still am in the Air Force, just as a civilian now.
Yessir...Retired Navy that now works for the Air force.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Why did you go that route vs a trailer dolly? Just asking because I am in the same position, I need to move a 242 series boat left and right, not just back and forth.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why two tongue jacks?

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why did you go that route vs a trailer dolly? Just asking because I am in the same position, I need to move a 242 series boat left and right, not just back and forth.

Limited space maneuvering. Direct movement vice pivoting worked best for my set up. The dolly's were a couple hundred dollars. I had everything else.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why two tongue jacks?

Here's the story...

I got tired of jumping over the trailer tongue to deploy or retract the jack. I bought a tongue jack from Northern Tool for $24.00. Installed it on the left side for convenience. I use it all the time. Typically the jack on the right is always in the stowed position. I deployed it for the maiden voyage of the "push the boat sideways move"... "just in case".

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yessir...Foreign Object Damage. I heard a new acronym last week...DOD = Domestic Object Damage in reference to an USAF engine.
My mistake, I'm a lot older and forgetful now than when I first learned the term.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ordered four dollies from Amazon for about $110. Supposedly 1500 lbs capacity per dolly. Hope it works. Should free up a considerable amount of space with the boat tucked close to the wall.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice!

One of these days I hope to have a shop to park my boat in...as my wife says, at our forever house...I'm tired of moving every couple years.

Funny you said you removed the FOD, don't hear that much around these sillyvilians:)
I literally laughed out loud when I read FOD. I had a mental image of you and your family at a double-arm interval walking back and forth.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's how we do it...eyes down...no talking.
.. haha

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was quite surprised how easily it rolled.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was quite surprised how easily it rolled.
I guess more importantly, how easy will it roll AWAY from the wall after the weight of the boat has been sitting on the dolly wheels for a few months. I have seen some get flat on one side after being under weight for an extended period. So probably its is great that you ended up putting the trailer on jack stands. I might do the same or just remove the dollies until I am ready to move it again.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That was a concern of mine right off the bat. To avoid the guess work I decided stands were the way to go. It takes an additional couple of minutes and all done. With that...the boat tires are off the ground as well as the dolly wheels.

Standing by to stand by for Spring time!