• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vehicle upgrades

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2005 dodge durango with a little over 100 on it. It pulled the hell outta my boat (yes it has a hemi) and handles well.. however I would like to do some upgrades on the rear suspension.... day time is no issue but the boat makes my truck squat just enough at night to blind everyone. I want to put and air assist upgrade on it. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I have a 2015 Ram and recently installed the timbergrove airbags http://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home Coil suspension on the Ram rides great but it is a little more sensitive to heavy loads/tongue weights. The truck didn't squat too much with AR210 but with my dad's 24ft camper that was another deal. (And yes do use WDH, but air suspension firms it up and less "squishy" feeling.) Plus I have a cap (camper shell, topper) on the truck so that adds some weight to the rear as well. Timbergrove's system attaches to axle and bump-stop. I ran an air line into bed exactly as they have in video. From all my internet reading this system is very heavy duty and you can add air after the fact. ie trailer already hooked up, you think to your self to add air to raise truck back up, then you can add air to raise the truck. This system runs about $375. I don't think timbergrove makes a durango version but honestly this is probably way overkill.

The less expensive version is https://www.airliftcompany.com/vehicles/dodge/durango/2005/4-wheel-drive/ for your durango, and what I would suggest if just pulling boat and nothing heavier. Less than $100, easy to install and won't notice it when not needed. Only catch is you have to add air prior to hooking up boat as they warn against adding the trailer, THEN adding air to raise the vehicle. Air first, then trailer load.

I wouldn't bother installing automatic air compressors and all that crap on a vehicle that is 10 years old & 100K miles. Just more problems. Keep it simple.

I bought a system from etrailers.com a year or so ago. It was under $30o for the parts (airbags, compressor and wiring/hoses) but ended up returning it and going with heavy duty shocks/struts instead. The airbag system had great reviews but since I could not install it myself (short on equipment/tools) I had two local shops quote the job both came back at over $1k. The heavy duty shocks came in at about $300 installed.

I would look into replacing your shocks/struts first if you haven't done so yet. You might even look into a slightly heavier duty version for the rear. If you've replaced them already and you're still squatting then go with the bags. I added bags to my Ram last spring to handle the pin weight of my 5th wheel camper. The truck handled the camper fine before with a little squat, but it was starting to bother me that it wasn't level. I got the bags with the internal bumpstop from Airlift so I don't need to keep air in them when unloaded. I did the install myself with simple hand tools and a floor jack. I just watched a few YouTube videos and read the directions and saved myself $500. I did not install an on board air compressor. I just ran the valves to the rear bumper as the directions said. I always have my pancake compressor with me when I'm towing the camper so it's always there already. The tongue of our boat trailers really aren't that heavy unless you have a lot of gear in the bow of your boat.

I'm adding an Airlift auto-leveling system to my F150 next month too. I got the bump stop bags but don't have them installed yet.

I have a 2005 dodge durango with a little over 100 on it. It pulled the hell outta my boat (yes it has a hemi) and handles well.. however I would like to do some upgrades on the rear suspension.... day time is no issue but the boat makes my truck squat just enough at night to blind everyone. I want to put and air assist upgrade on it. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I sometimes pull the boat around the marina with our old 2004 Highlander. I had the struts replaced, which helped, but this year I also installed Sumo Helper Springs from etrailer, for something like $150. Worked amazingly well in reducing the rear end sag. DIY install, too - can not beat the price. I have been VERY happy.
http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/SuperSprings/CSS-1168R.html

Back