• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

(Video provided) #help 2015 242 Ltd S w/ single engine loss of power during hole shot

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi, I have a 2015 242 Ltd S w/ 2x stock 1800cc motors. This spring, I replaced both impeller housings, installed a new sound system including new batteries, new spark plugs, new steering cables. When I put the boat back in the water, she was purring like a kitten and running like a champ. Put maybe 1-2 hours on her since all of that.

Now, when coming out of the hole, the starboard engine pegs perfectly at ~7500RPM as per usual. But the port engine wavers at 6000 before surging a few times and eventually getting there.

Once the engine warms up, my holeshot has no issues. Straight to 7500 like it should, and stays there.

There is no sputtering. Still purrs like a kitten, except when it's revving itself around like mad while warming up.

What do you think it could be?

My first troubleshooting steps will be:
1. Check for impeller blockages, sucked up debris (already done, duh;)
2. New spark plugs, again, to see if one of the new ones might be defective. Could put the old ones back in for a bit, again just to see, but wouldn't leave them in, so might as well just go new.
3. Fuel pump issue or filter blockage. Swap hoses coming off the fuel pumps in the fuel tank compartment to see if the problem moves to the other engine. Replace fuel pump (believe filter is integrated) if it does.

What else should I do?

thanks in advance!

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Administrative Sorry I meant to post this in 242LS model group, can you move it to the right place, whether that's the 242 group or some other help group?

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update: replaced spark plugs on that engine and initial indications are that it has fully resolved my problem. Went out and did a holeshot on a cold motor in the same circumstances as would have re created that issue before; all better.