• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How I Replaced Yamaha's AIRMAR Transducer for half the cost (WITH PICTURES)

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
TL;DR - I saved about $250 on a single item when replacing the defective AIRMAR transducer in my Yamaha jet boat with an equally valid but "non-OEM" option.

Hopefully this helps someone... In my 2015 242 Ltd S, the transducer went bad. Read about how I came to that conclusion via this post.

This particular post is to document how I replaced my Yamaha transducer (F2D-U8K1W-01-00) with an identical AIRMAR transducer for half the price of the Yamaha OEM part. (Retail $697.99, Boats.net currently $505 and backordered with no estimated ship date available)

Bought this AIRMAR DT800 transducer for $263, shipped. This proved to be identical to the one in my boat, minus the connector difference. The Yamaha version has the connector that connects the transducer seamlessly to the house umbilical wiring, providing N2K connection thru the SPU to the Connext system.

In case you are wondering, NMEA 2000 wiring is as follows. This corresponds to the pinouts on the Yamaha connector for the AIRMAR transducer, except there is no pin for shielding. My supposition is that Yamaha decided to not implement shielding in their minor N2K backbone.
Red—Positive Voltage
Black—Negative Voltage
White—NMEA +
Blue—NMEA -
Bare—Shield

I did not want to void the warranty of my brand new transducer by cutting the end of the cable off, so I created a pigtail by lopping a foot or so off the prior transducer cable, and buying an N2K patch cable off Amazon. This cable cost me $22.57 shipped, Amazon prime. Add some 3:1 heat shrink adhesive tubing and some marine tinned copper crimp connectors w/ 3:1 integrated heat shrink adhesive tubing, all of which I had in shop supply from prior boat projects, I have about $25 invested in this pigtail. The final pigtail is shown here. The build photos follow.
IMG_0361.jpg

First, I dummy proofed my cutting by attaching the new N2K cable to my new transducer. Shown below. Again I totally could have lopped off the end of the new transducer cable and spliced in the Yamaha connector directly, but that would have voided the transducer's two year warranty. I would rather spend $20 to have a pigtail that allows me to just screw on a new transducer, than have to ever do this connector splicing game again, and likewise lose the transducer warranty.

IMG_0339.jpg

I then proceeded to lop off a foot of cable from the old transducer, and likewise lopped one of the ends off my new N2K cable from Amazon. Cutting open both cables, you can see they are each color coded for easy wiring. Nice. Again, I provided the details above in case you require further troubleshooting, but you could have done this wiring without knowing red meant DC+. Red goes to Red. Oh well, I like to know how things work.
IMG_0343.jpg

I spliced them together, and heat shrinked them.
IMG_0352.jpg

Connected to the new transducer, and tested in the boat. Worked great. Depth comm error went away, got a temp reading, and low depth alarm. Good! Considering I have the transducer still sitting on the floor of my boat..
IMG_0354.jpg

Another

IMG_0351.jpg

Heat shrink tubing over top... 1/2" worked for me.. I put the 1/2 inch tubing on each side of the pigtail wires before splicing, as they would not fit over the connectors on either side. (Do this BEFORE you wire it up!). The last piece was a 3/4 inch tubing that I placed over top in the end to seal the two 1/2" ones together. I found it useful to step up in sizes of heat shrink even though I'm using 3:1 due to the way I did the connections being so much larger than the cable diameters.

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Final complete kit:

IMG_0367.jpg

BTW, here's a pic of the new transducer:
IMG_0330.jpg

And the old:
IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was hoping someone would figure this one out. I've had the comm issue from the water temp. Good write up!

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank You so much...I have another winter project. Great write up.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice job. I cut and spliced an extension cable so I could hide the wiring for my Raymarine RV-200 transducer inside 1 1/4" s.s. tubing that the plug would not fit thru. Did not want to ruin an $800 part. The extension cable was $50. It works well for me 3 years later.

20180927_114152.jpg

20180927_133851.jpg

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the great legwork for the rest of us!
Going to keep these part numbers handy since mine is a 2016 with the same setup as yours and it is sure to fail eventually

sstango

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
cyclops
Thank you so much for this, I've been on all the boards looking for a solution, and I've been in touch with Yamaha and the Airmar distributor about this problem, all said I'd have to wait till sometime next year for the part. Great detailed write up, I have parts on the way. Note to others: There were only 4 left after I ordered mine.

sstango

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Spliced and installed the new transponder today, IT WORKS, thanx again for all the research and detailed instructions. It's good to have everything working again and no alarm!

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Spliced and installed the new transponder today, IT WORKS, thanx again for all the research and detailed instructions. It's good to have everything working again and no alarm!
Super!! So glad to hear it

ithinkifloat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
TL;DR - I saved about $250 on a single item when replacing the defective AIRMAR transducer in my Yamaha jet boat with an equally valid but "non-OEM" option.

Hopefully this helps someone... In my 2015 242 Ltd S, the transducer went bad. Read about how I came to that conclusion via this post.

This particular post is to document how I replaced my Yamaha transducer (F2D-U8K1W-01-00) with an identical AIRMAR transducer for half the price of the Yamaha OEM part. (Retail $697.99, Boats.net currently $505 and backordered with no estimated ship date available)

Bought this AIRMAR DT800 transducer for $263, shipped. This proved to be identical to the one in my boat, minus the connector difference. The Yamaha version has the connector that connects the transducer seamlessly to the house umbilical wiring, providing N2K connection thru the SPU to the Connext system.

In case you are wondering, NMEA 2000 wiring is as follows. This corresponds to the pinouts on the Yamaha connector for the AIRMAR transducer, except there is no pin for shielding. My supposition is that Yamaha decided to not implement shielding in their minor N2K backbone.
Red—Positive Voltage
Black—Negative Voltage
White—NMEA +
Blue—NMEA -
Bare—Shield

I did not want to void the warranty of my brand new transducer by cutting the end of the cable off, so I created a pigtail by lopping a foot or so off the prior transducer cable, and buying an N2K patch cable off Amazon. This cable cost me $22.57 shipped, Amazon prime. Add some 3:1 heat shrink adhesive tubing and some marine tinned copper crimp connectors w/ 3:1 integrated heat shrink adhesive tubing, all of which I had in shop supply from prior boat projects, I have about $25 invested in this pigtail. The final pigtail is shown here. The build photos follow.
View attachment 166066

First, I dummy proofed my cutting by attaching the new N2K cable to my new transducer. Shown below. Again I totally could have lopped off the end of the new transducer cable and spliced in the Yamaha connector directly, but that would have voided the transducer's two year warranty. I would rather spend $20 to have a pigtail that allows me to just screw on a new transducer, than have to ever do this connector splicing game again, and likewise lose the transducer warranty.

View attachment 166068

I then proceeded to lop off a foot of cable from the old transducer, and likewise lopped one of the ends off my new N2K cable from Amazon. Cutting open both cables, you can see they are each color coded for easy wiring. Nice. Again, I provided the details above in case you require further troubleshooting, but you could have done this wiring without knowing red meant DC+. Red goes to Red. Oh well, I like to know how things work.
View attachment 166067

I spliced them together, and heat shrinked them.
View attachment 166069

Connected to the new transducer, and tested in the boat. Worked great. Depth comm error went away, got a temp reading, and low depth alarm. Good! Considering I have the transducer still sitting on the floor of my boat..
View attachment 166070

Another

View attachment 166071

Heat shrink tubing over top... 1/2" worked for me.. I put the 1/2 inch tubing on each side of the pigtail wires before splicing, as they would not fit over the connectors on either side. (Do this BEFORE you wire it up!). The last piece was a 3/4 inch tubing that I placed over top in the end to seal the two 1/2" ones together. I found it useful to step up in sizes of heat shrink even though I'm using 3:1 due to the way I did the connections being so much larger than the cable diameters.

View attachment 166073

View attachment 166075

View attachment 166076

Final complete kit:

View attachment 166077

BTW, here's a pic of the new transducer:
View attachment 166078

And the old:
View attachment 166079

View attachment 166080
have you had a chance to test to ensure that the depth read out is correct? I just did a similar Airmar transducer replacement today (different part number) and when I tested it (holding it between 3&4ft above the deck of the boat) I got a read out that said 13ft. This made me suspect that the firmware didn’t quite mesh with the Yamaha head unit.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
have you had a chance to test to ensure that the depth read out is correct? I just did a similar Airmar transducer replacement today (different part number) and when I tested it (holding it between 3&4ft above the deck of the boat) I got a read out that said 13ft. This made me suspect that the firmware didn’t quite mesh with the Yamaha head unit.
Sound moves through water faster than it does through air. In theory, if you get a reading from it at all out of water, it'll be a larger number than what it's reading. In the time it takes for the transducer to receive the bounce back signal in 3 to 4 feet of air, it applies the speed of sound through water to that time and came up with 13 feet. The speed of sound in air is 343 meters per second, the speed of sound in water is 1481 meters per second. Throw a decimal point in there and those two numbers almost directly correlate to your 3-ish feet to 13-ish feet.

ithinkifloat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sound moves through water faster than it does through air. In theory, if you get a reading from it at all out of water, it'll be a larger number than what it's reading. In the time it takes for the transducer to receive the bounce back signal in 3 to 4 feet of air, it applies the speed of sound through water to that time and came up with 13 feet. The speed of sound in air is 343 meters per second, the speed of sound in water is 1481 meters per second. Throw a decimal point in there and those two numbers almost directly correlate to your 3-ish feet to 13-ish feet.
Whoa…. That hadn’t even crossed my mind. Your logic and explanation mathematically make a lot of sense. In fact, this sent me down an educational rabbit hole trying to verify your logic and resulted in me learning about the speed of sound in multiple states of matter. I think I owe you a double thank you.
: - )

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whoa…. That hadn’t even crossed my mind. Your logic and explanation mathematically make a lot of sense. In fact, this sent me down an educational rabbit hole trying to verify your logic and resulted in me learning about the speed of sound in multiple states of matter. I think I owe you a double thank you.
: - )
Thank you for the kind words. :)

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Having similar issues and this may be my ticket since the dealer said the Yamaha part isn’t available. I have a 2020 242Xe so I’ll have to see If the factory part is still the same as the 15’.

XSCORPIO24

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Excellent news for me and my good friend that just happened to buy a 210 / 2022 this year and the Transducer failed 2 hours after using the boat, the dealer said about the part been here in 2023. I own a 2019 212LS and just happened to me also and the dealer told me the same news, so reading about this makes me want to get the items before the year 2023, Thanks a lot.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Excellent news for me and my good friend that just happened to buy a 210 / 2022 this year and the Transducer failed 2 hours after using the boat, the dealer said about the part been here in 2023. I own a 2019 212LS and just happened to me also and the dealer told me the same news, so reading about this makes me want to get the items before the year 2023, Thanks a lot.
This may help...Maybe same?

Is this your part # ?

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertDweller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Nice job. I cut and spliced an extension cable so I could hide the wiring for my Raymarine RV-200 transducer inside 1 1/4" s.s. tubing that the plug would not fit thru. Did not want to ruin an $800 part. The extension cable was $50. It works well for me 3 years later.

View attachment 166085

View attachment 166086
I'm a newbie here and in general when it comes to boats, but I was going thru a few items that came with my 2021 252SD specifically the Blanking Plug for the Depth and Temperature transducer made by Airmar, P/N DT800. In the Operation & Maintenance section, it states to remove the insert and replace it with the blanking plug if your boat will be in salt water for a week or longer or when you remove your boat from water and/or if you have aquatic growth build-up which can give you inaccurate readings. I'm wondering if others follow these guidelines everytime they remove their boats from the water? Or, is this only necessary maybe once a year and if you are winterizing? Has anyone ever had aquatic growth on their transducer insert?

svsimple

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@cyclops thank you so much for this info!

Is the transducer located in the engine compartment and easy to get to or was other disassembly required to get to it?

How about write routing to plug into the network?

Thanks again!

Daddy Fat Sacs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just had this happen last Saturday and was informed by my dealer that the transducers are still on back order for over a year now with no date for new shipments. So glad I found this thread! Now to find one in stock hopefully

A9C34B5C-9F01-4DBF-8A25-A173992E9338.jpeg

Daddy Fat Sacs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So glad I found this thread!! Got mine and installed in like an hour! Super simple and fixed all the errors!
What year and model do you have? Any tips?