• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How I Replaced Yamaha's AIRMAR Transducer for half the cost (WITH PICTURES)

jpdaley1026

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So I called my Dealer, and to no surprise, the new date is 5/19. It was 4/13 then 5/1, now 5/19... I see where this is going..I am going to bite the bullet and try to get a transducer elsewhere. I asked earlier if the DST 810 would work. I guess I'll be the Guinea pig. I looked on Garmins website and they said The DST 810 can be a direct replacement for a DT 800 or DST 800. The through hull fitting is the same size as the DT 800 and DST 800 through hull fitting. Same 5 pin conn. I am going to get it off Amazon in case it doesn't work, I can return it no problem. I am going to use the same setup that Cyclops did to start this thread. Worse comes to worse, I'll be out 19 bucks for the patch cable. And , who knows maybe I will eventually get the one from the Dealer, that one is under warranty. I should get it Sat 5/7. I should be able to hook it up and at least verify it by this weekend. I will post results when I can.

jpdaley1026

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yea, just looked on Hodges Marine , Quantity in Stock: 20 . I guess if the one I got doesnt work, I may have a backup if they arent sold out by then.

Sccala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
TL;DR - I saved about $250 on a single item when replacing the defective AIRMAR transducer in my Yamaha jet boat with an equally valid but "non-OEM" option.

Hopefully this helps someone... In my 2015 242 Ltd S, the transducer went bad. Read about how I came to that conclusion via this post.

This particular post is to document how I replaced my Yamaha transducer (F2D-U8K1W-01-00) with an identical AIRMAR transducer for half the price of the Yamaha OEM part. (Retail $697.99, Boats.net currently $505 and backordered with no estimated ship date available)

Bought this AIRMAR DT800 transducer for $263, shipped. This proved to be identical to the one in my boat, minus the connector difference. The Yamaha version has the connector that connects the transducer seamlessly to the house umbilical wiring, providing N2K connection thru the SPU to the Connext system.

In case you are wondering, NMEA 2000 wiring is as follows. This corresponds to the pinouts on the Yamaha connector for the AIRMAR transducer, except there is no pin for shielding. My supposition is that Yamaha decided to not implement shielding in their minor N2K backbone.
Red—Positive Voltage
Black—Negative Voltage
White—NMEA +
Blue—NMEA -
Bare—Shield

I did not want to void the warranty of my brand new transducer by cutting the end of the cable off, so I created a pigtail by lopping a foot or so off the prior transducer cable, and buying an N2K patch cable off Amazon. This cable cost me $22.57 shipped, Amazon prime. Add some 3:1 heat shrink adhesive tubing and some marine tinned copper crimp connectors w/ 3:1 integrated heat shrink adhesive tubing, all of which I had in shop supply from prior boat projects, I have about $25 invested in this pigtail. The final pigtail is shown here. The build photos follow.
View attachment 166066

First, I dummy proofed my cutting by attaching the new N2K cable to my new transducer. Shown below. Again I totally could have lopped off the end of the new transducer cable and spliced in the Yamaha connector directly, but that would have voided the transducer's two year warranty. I would rather spend $20 to have a pigtail that allows me to just screw on a new transducer, than have to ever do this connector splicing game again, and likewise lose the transducer warranty.

View attachment 166068

I then proceeded to lop off a foot of cable from the old transducer, and likewise lopped one of the ends off my new N2K cable from Amazon. Cutting open both cables, you can see they are each color coded for easy wiring. Nice. Again, I provided the details above in case you require further troubleshooting, but you could have done this wiring without knowing red meant DC+. Red goes to Red. Oh well, I like to know how things work.
View attachment 166067

I spliced them together, and heat shrinked them.
View attachment 166069

Connected to the new transducer, and tested in the boat. Worked great. Depth comm error went away, got a temp reading, and low depth alarm. Good! Considering I have the transducer still sitting on the floor of my boat..
View attachment 166070

Another

View attachment 166071

Heat shrink tubing over top... 1/2" worked for me.. I put the 1/2 inch tubing on each side of the pigtail wires before splicing, as they would not fit over the connectors on either side. (Do this BEFORE you wire it up!). The last piece was a 3/4 inch tubing that I placed over top in the end to seal the two 1/2" ones together. I found it useful to step up in sizes of heat shrink even though I'm using 3:1 due to the way I did the connections being so much larger than the cable diameters.

View attachment 166073

View attachment 166075

View attachment 166076

Final complete kit:

View attachment 166077

BTW, here's a pic of the new transducer:
View attachment 166078

And the old:
View attachment 166079

View attachment 166080
TL;DR - I saved about $250 on a single item when replacing the defective AIRMAR transducer in my Yamaha jet boat with an equally valid but "non-OEM" option.

Hopefully this helps someone... In my 2015 242 Ltd S, the transducer went bad. Read about how I came to that conclusion via this post.

This particular post is to document how I replaced my Yamaha transducer (F2D-U8K1W-01-00) with an identical AIRMAR transducer for half the price of the Yamaha OEM part. (Retail $697.99, Boats.net currently $505 and backordered with no estimated ship date available)

Bought this AIRMAR DT800 transducer for $263, shipped. This proved to be identical to the one in my boat, minus the connector difference. The Yamaha version has the connector that connects the transducer seamlessly to the house umbilical wiring, providing N2K connection thru the SPU to the Connext system.

In case you are wondering, NMEA 2000 wiring is as follows. This corresponds to the pinouts on the Yamaha connector for the AIRMAR transducer, except there is no pin for shielding. My supposition is that Yamaha decided to not implement shielding in their minor N2K backbone.
Red—Positive Voltage
Black—Negative Voltage
White—NMEA +
Blue—NMEA -
Bare—Shield

I did not want to void the warranty of my brand new transducer by cutting the end of the cable off, so I created a pigtail by lopping a foot or so off the prior transducer cable, and buying an N2K patch cable off Amazon. This cable cost me $22.57 shipped, Amazon prime. Add some 3:1 heat shrink adhesive tubing and some marine tinned copper crimp connectors w/ 3:1 integrated heat shrink adhesive tubing, all of which I had in shop supply from prior boat projects, I have about $25 invested in this pigtail. The final pigtail is shown here. The build photos follow.
View attachment 166066

First, I dummy proofed my cutting by attaching the new N2K cable to my new transducer. Shown below. Again I totally could have lopped off the end of the new transducer cable and spliced in the Yamaha connector directly, but that would have voided the transducer's two year warranty. I would rather spend $20 to have a pigtail that allows me to just screw on a new transducer, than have to ever do this connector splicing game again, and likewise lose the transducer warranty.

View attachment 166068

I then proceeded to lop off a foot of cable from the old transducer, and likewise lopped one of the ends off my new N2K cable from Amazon. Cutting open both cables, you can see they are each color coded for easy wiring. Nice. Again, I provided the details above in case you require further troubleshooting, but you could have done this wiring without knowing red meant DC+. Red goes to Red. Oh well, I like to know how things work.
View attachment 166067

I spliced them together, and heat shrinked them.
View attachment 166069

Connected to the new transducer, and tested in the boat. Worked great. Depth comm error went away, got a temp reading, and low depth alarm. Good! Considering I have the transducer still sitting on the floor of my boat..
View attachment 166070

Another

View attachment 166071

Heat shrink tubing over top... 1/2" worked for me.. I put the 1/2 inch tubing on each side of the pigtail wires before splicing, as they would not fit over the connectors on either side. (Do this BEFORE you wire it up!). The last piece was a 3/4 inch tubing that I placed over top in the end to seal the two 1/2" ones together. I found it useful to step up in sizes of heat shrink even though I'm using 3:1 due to the way I did the connections being so much larger than the cable diameters.

View attachment 166073

View attachment 166075

View attachment 166076

Final complete kit:

View attachment 166077

BTW, here's a pic of the new transducer:
View attachment 166078

And the old:
View attachment 166079

View attachment 166080
thanks so much for this post. I have been waiting on my OEM transducer since December and I’m starting to think that it’s the kind of thing that I might never receive unless I get one from somebody who happens to physically have one in stock, which is unlikely. But now that I know there is a nearly identical aftermarket version out there, I might just get my refund from partzilla.com and order this one instead. Thanks a lot

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@cyclops you are my hero bro 1hr work transducer, fixed.

Attachments

Daddy Fat Sacs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yea, just looked on Hodges Marine , Quantity in Stock: 20 . I guess if the one I got doesnt work, I may have a backup if they arent sold out by then.
that’s crazy as I looked all week and it showed 0 quantity everyday. Now shows stock not until June!?

93B8D530-246F-441C-A990-B7779EB5CA8D.png

Daddy Fat Sacs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

jpdaley1026

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I will today, it arrived late, was supposed to get it saturday, but didnt get here until sunday at 4pm. I have made the jumper, and will try today, it was raining all day yesterday

jpdaley1026

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So I hooked up the new Transducer DST-810 and comm error went away . I started it up and spun the paddle wheel a little and it registered MPH, about 5MPH. seems to be working, wont be able to water test for a while, (crappy weather) but have no reason to believe it shouldn't work. This also has an App that you can use with it to adjust / offset settings. Like I mentioned earlier, I went thru Amazon so I would have time to return if nec. These are readily avail. at least they were last time I checked. In using a diff model, I am hoping for better reliability /longevity. We'll see I guess. It was nice to start it up and not hear that freakin beeping noise tho.

Attachments

Daddy Fat Sacs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does anyone know if the unit has to be the 20* specifically or will the 0* unit work?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Zero wont work. These hulls have a 20 degrees pitch.

jpdaley1026

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I know the description for this transducer states that it Supports Deadrise/Transom Angles: 0 to 22 degrees. So that is the one thing I have to test when I get a chance, hopefully this weekend. I know the speed part works, just have to test depth & temp

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wonder if the through hull fitting is the angle not the transducer? I would call airmar to verify

jpdaley1026

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I emailed Airmar, and at 1st they said because I had a Jet boat that nothing I bought as a standard transducer ( even the the OEM one) will work because its proprietary to Yamaha (we know thats not the case). I then asked them " in general" can the DST-810 work in place of the DT-800. He said it fits the same housing but because its 0 deg, you will get inaccurate readings. He wrote back ,"The DST810 has a 45degree fan beam so it can account for up to 22-degrees, but it won’t work for your wakeboard boat", but I'm not sure if he's referring back to the proprietary part.
I am going to take the boat out as soon as I can ( before my 30 day return) and just see what I get, curious what it will read , but looks like I may have to order a diff one. At least the jumper is already done, and will be plug and play at that point, and I still have the one on order from dealer( not that that means anything).
It was worth a shot. Hope I didnt waste anyone's time. Just looking for an alternative.