• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vinyl and gelcoat repair advice needed...

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One guess what happened...

image.jpg image.jpg

...dammit!

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's small enough that I bet the 3M vinyl repair kit will make it disappear.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would find a leather/vinyl repair company nearby and let them do it or order a new skin if possible.

You've got a nice boat and that's gonna show if a DIY kit isn't perfect.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thinking I will take the affected swimdeck cushion off the boat & take it to a vinyl repair place, assuming I can find such a beast in this area.

The ding in the gelcoat may wait a while. It is really not going anywhere. I may, or may not, try to fix that myself. It is on the convex rounded edge below and a bit forward (right in the photo) of the centerline of the speaker hole.

PS: Really, really mad at myself...just sick over this. I guess I just have to get over it.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thinking I will take the affected swimdeck cushion off the boat & take it to a vinyl repair place, assuming I can find such a beast in this area.

The ding in the gelcoat may wait a while. It is really not going anywhere. I may, or may not, try to fix that myself. It is on the convex rounded edge below and a bit forward (right in the photo) of the centerline of the speaker hole.

PS: Really, really mad at myself...just sick over this. I guess I just have to get over it.
http://leatherrestorationco.com/

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bet a few choice words were expressed! We have all had something like this happen.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might try some of the magicezy chip fix:

http://www.magicezy.com/products/9-second-chip-fix/

Yeah, it isn't nearly as cheap as using gel coat, MEKP, PVA to effect the repair, but you won't end up with a quantity of material that will likely go bad before it's used. And this stuff seems to have a fairly good shelf life, no mixing required. All you would need is some very fine wet/dry paper, elbow grease, polish and wax. (they say no sanding required, but I would build it up a bit higher than the surrounding area, let it cure for a few days and then lightly wet sand level to surface and then ultimately polished it out - should blend well.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The gelcoat repair paste I have tried works well. It has patch and gelcoat blended to make easy work of it, just fine grit sand, polish, and go.
spectrum gelcoat patch paste.jpg
Phil Dill has a shop they send out for vinyl repair, and they can fix that I think without recovering. They may patch the fabric from behind and then blend in a liquid vinyl that cures to the original and your done. Matching texture is an art I am sure and bet they have their techniques. I think you can fix all of this @gtb and not even know it was there. Accidents happen, don't be hard on yourself!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Holy S#/t!

Just took a look behind those swimdeck seat cushions. A dozen or more fasteners back there, at least four look to be buried behind not one but two bulkheads! FML!

Anyone have a good technique to get that cushion off the boat?

Props to the engineers that apparently determined this cushion is structural. FFS.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It isn't as bad as it seems... @Bruce ,how about giving @GTBRMC some guidance on cushion removal, I know you have had yours off!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Usually there are two bolts and the rest of what you see are clips that you don't remove.

Remove the bolts and slide the cushion up and off of the clips.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Usually there are two bolts and the rest of what you see are clips that you don't remove.

Remove the bolts and slide the cushion up and off of the clips.
That would be great! But... I don't see it. Anyone have pix or can otherwise step-by-step this one for me?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That would be great! But... I don't see it. Anyone have pix or can otherwise step-by-step this one for me?
There's someone that did swim platform speakers that shows the area. You need the swim platform backs removed, right?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Did @Bruce ever reply to give guidance to the removal of the cushions? He has done it.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ouch! @GTBRMC I feel your pain.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we found this today. Looks old, so I guess we just overlooked it. Now to go about repairing it. Should I try a DIY vinyl repair kit from amazon? It's the bottom back corner never really seen, guess that's how it avoided us.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So we found this today. Looks old, so I guess we just overlooked it. Now to go about repairing it. Should I try a DIY vinyl repair kit from amazon? It's the bottom back corner never really seen, guess that's how it avoided us.

I would give it a shot. From looking at it, looks like it was scuffed up from something other than the boat. I'm saying not from removing and replacing the cushion. Because if this damaged occurred from removing and replacing, then I'm not sure the vinyl repair would hold.