• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vinyl repair

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I want to be proactive on this before it gets worse. Some of my cushions are showing wear (tiny holes) directly in the corners. They're very small (the size of a pencil's eraser) now but I'd like to do something to prevent them from getting worse. Is there anything I can do? Or should I take them into a vinyl shop now to see if they can do anything before they get bigger?

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Is it the stitching that is pulling the vinyl and opening the holes where the stitching penetrates the vinyl? Or is it where the vinyl rubs the gelcoat when removing/replacing the cushions? Both of those will probably be considered normal wear and tear, and not really repairable yourself, although some have used the vinyl repair kits to try. The issue is if it is in a high wear area, the repair will fail. So some guys live with it because it probably won't get much worse vs. lifetime of the vinyl anyway, and some guys opt to let a vinyl repair shop take a crack at it. Pictures would help, but an upholstery shop will be able to tell you all of their available options. I had some of the piping beginning to come loose under the edge of the seat cushion and I always removed/replaced without letting it pull due to contact. It is just the nature of the beast on these boats. If you can, take some pics so others see what they may face, and if you get it repaired, post up that too, both in pic and description. I hope you find an inexpensive and lasting solution!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those little buggers show up from dragging the corners on the floor -- easily done! It's not worth it to spend the money to patch the vinyl with a pro fix. I would recommend Tear Aid patches that are clear and will help the small hole from getting any larger.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For some reason I have to put sunglasses on to read Mel's posts!!! :smuggrin:

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It's in corners probably from rubbing against gel coat. They're not very noticible. I just don't want them to get bigger.

I'll look into tear aid. Thanks!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Murf...put up a link if you have one to the tear aid patches! Those would be good to use in the corners on a brand new boat to prevent tearing I would expect. And murf...:cool:

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Murf knows some stuff!:thumbsup: