• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Voltmeter Addition

Jacques

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 195 HOI and I love it, but one of the small few things that I miss is a voltmeter.

Despite the fact that we all look for the safest conditions when we have our family on the water and that took me to add the 2nd battery (Thanks @ScarabMike for the guidance), I also carry with me a Jump Starter.

I had battery issues caused by someone pinched the main battery line while building the boat, resulting in the boat not being able to charge any battery and neither producing enough power to sustain it's own operation, shutting it off after running out of battery causing many pains. I realized there was only one warning light, however it always shows up really late in the process.

I found a blue sea mini voltmeter, inexpensive solution (38$ in Amazon), and it draws really little power, and always tells me how the battery or batteries are doing as well as knowing if the boat is charging them or generating power while running. There are other options like Cigarette lighter voltmeters, but I needed something that can be installed outside and visible while running and can support the elements, waterproof and marine environments (in my scarab the lighter is next to the stereo and I close the lid when moving) and of course, accurate.

It's really easy to install,

1. Voltmeter (that was my choice, research and pick one) (https://www.bluesea.com/products/1733/Mini_OLED_DC_Voltmeter)
2. Cable for + and - , you can add the insulated version or add it after with electrical conduits
3. Masking Tape or Painter tape
4. Heat Shrink
5. In line fuse holder
6. (1) 2 amp fuse
7. (2) Quick Disconnect Terminals - Female (.250")
8. (2) Ring Terminals for M10 (3/8)
9. 1 1/8 in Diameter spade bit
10. Cable ties

Then:

0. Test the voltmeter and cables outside before running them through the boat and disconnect the batteries

1. Select and prepare the are you want it to have it installed, if it has gelcoat termination, apply the masking tape or painter tape to avoid cracks created when drilling the hole

2. Using the spade bit, drill using slow speeds and really light pressure until you pass through the location. Use gloves, long sleeves shirt, safety glasses and mouth/nose protection while working with fiberglass. It can be painful, I learned in the hard way

3. Run the cables taking in consideration where the + and - connectors are going to be

4. Make sure the distance of the cable is OK

5. Add the in-line fuse and use the heat shrink tubes to seal the wire connections

6. Crimp the Quick Disconnect terminals on the voltmeter side of the cable and connect them to the voltmeter and install it in the desired position

7. Crimp the ring terminals

8. Connect the - to the ground used by the batteries of the boat and + of the battery you want to track or measure. In my case, I connected the (+) voltmeter directly to the common stud of the 6007 battery switch, allowing me to display the voltage of any combination of batteries that I am using at that moment, no matter if it's only Battery 1 or Battery 2 or both combined, depending on which option is selected in the switch.

9. Hold the cable or the conduits properly avoiding heat and moving parts, use the existing places where other cables were put as guide

Since I am only a person who loves to be on the water, use this is only as a reference and knowing it can be improved (by a lot), please take any necessary steps to be safe while doing it if you decide so, and please, share any enhancement with the community so we support each other (more than what some dealers do for us).

Voltmeter test.JPG VM Hole 1.jpgVM Hole 2.JPGVM Installed.JPG