• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Volvo penta ql300 trim tabs installed

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just installed and tested these trim tabs. I can't believe I didn't do these sooner! Amazing results.

20200625_155804.jpg20200626_165553.jpg20200626_165819.jpg20200626_165809.jpg20200625_223752.jpg20200625_155804.jpg20200626_165553.jpg20200626_165819.jpgjust20200626_165809.jpg20200625_223752.jpg

John Carnevale

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well done!! Glad to hear they work as well as mine!! I went from hating the boat to loving! Happy boating

John Carnevale

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

John Carnevale

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You want to use the QL 300 per Volvo Penta:

Many factors affect the choice of the right sized interceptors, and these sizing recommendations are based on average performance. Your choice may vary based on power, engine configuration, weight distribution, type of boat and use. The largest interceptors that will comfortably fit on the transom will be the most efficient. For semi-planing hulls, it may be necessary to increase the length of the interceptor configuration.
Please call if in doubt which size is best for your boat.

Boat Length
Single Engine Installation
Twin Engine Installation
15' – 24'​
QL300​
–​
22' – 30'​
QL450​
QL300​
28' – 34'​
QL450​
QL450​
32' – 44'​
QL450 + QL300​
QL450​
42' – 50'​
QL450 x 2​
QL450 x 2​
Download the Volvo-Penta Boat Trim System Installation Manual HERE

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have these and they are amazing, they work really well. I can get my boat on plane with 3000lbs of ballast filled when I deploy these things.
Also I installed a power switch right next to my controller. Keep it off most of the time.
.. ..
When installing mounting area must be very flat. I have had to replace mine due to internal failure, replacement was easy. When I replaced I used some washers behind a few screws to help mount it more flat. See picture. Has washer location and count.

Attachments

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well done!! Glad to hear they work as well as mine!! I went from hating the boat to loving! Happy boating
you were the one that convinced me to proceed! thanks again for the info John! next questions, is that soundproofing you did in the engine bay? what product did you use?

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Finally a great solution for trim tabs well implemmented. Impressive.
How easy is to remove the system to access the coolant drain plugs?
Is it screwed in fairly permanent (sealants/ glues or others?) or would you say its easy to take them down and put back on?

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally a great solution for trim tabs well implemmented. Impressive.
How easy is to remove the system to access the coolant drain plugs?
Is it screwed in fairly permanent (sealants/ glues or others?) or would you say its easy to take them down and put back on?
i have not removed them to change the coolant but I will have to soon enough. there is a small amount of 3m sealant that has to be used and the trim tab has a rubber seal as well.... I'm hoping it wont be an issue.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like the clean look of the volvo this season I installed the lectro tabs when deployed at the most I’m on the second light jet boats get a much greater effect from trim than traditional drive. For surfing with ballast they help the boat get to that 10 to 12 mph much easier and you can make the boat list for an improved wake

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sadly the Yamaha hulls aren't flat or vertical enough to install these. They look really cool though, and I like that there's very little of the system that's exposed.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sadly the Yamaha hulls aren't flat or vertical enough to install these. They look really cool though, and I like that there's very little of the system that's exposed.
The hull in the yamaha looks very similar to the posted pictures the reason why trim tabs have a dramatic effect is that the jet propulsion is much higher than a prop. The outdrive on a traditional motor also has fins that keep the outdrive from moving upward. As soon as a little engagement
of the trim tab is applied the bow drops very quickly on the Yamaha due to the pivot point not having much resistance. I think the Volvo tabs may work better than the lectro tab due to the minimal amount of trim needed. @Scarabpaul how much engagment do you use in choppy water ?

Reely Hooked

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where can I buy the QL trim tabs?