• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vortex VRX 203 Tower Rattle

TNMic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I am a happy 2016 Chaparral Vortex VRX owner - we just surpassed 32 hours and are loving the boat. However, one nuisance has been the rattle (clanking) in the tower that occurs when we hit decent chop. My son and I have both verified twice everything was tight (from a bolt perspective) but it appears the rattle was just coming where the top and bottom of the tower mount come together. I assume Chaparral did have to have a little tolerance to ensure the spring pin would always be able to line up when the tower is raised.

We got a wild hair yesterday and decided to apply some flex-seal (yep - as seen on TV) between the two surfaces hitting. We lowered the tower, and using a small brush applied a thin layer of liquid flex-seal to the top surface and all around the groove on the bottom portion. We did tape off around the tower base to ensure we didn't make a mess (which is easy to do with that stuff!).

We went out on the boat this morning. Due to a lake event it was very busy - and we hit ALOT of rough wake. The result - NOT A SOUND OUT OF THE TOWER! Just wanted to share as I've been given many tips here and doubt I'm the only one who has experienced this. I should have taken a pic - and would do so now if my boat weren't in the slip at the lake. I'll be out there tomorrow though and will take one to post then.

There was enough of the flex-seal in the small can I got to use the rest rolling it into the anchor compartment. I have to use a small box anchor (not the anchor made for the boat) due to the shale on the lake bottom here. It seems to have provided a very nice rubber coating in there also.

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thank You for the feedback i have same issue with my tower very annoying , will try to do the same , if you get a chance post some pics.

TNMic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My sincerest apologies! I actually took this pic awhile back - then forgot to post!!!!IMG_1477.jpg

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Did you apply to the bottom only ?, it's hard to tell from this pic , Thanks for the post thinking on doing the same thing

TNMic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Chapvrx - Yes - bottom only! Made a world of difference.