• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Waiting to buy

Tylorwashere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hey guys, I suppose I can start with a little about why I'm here first. My dad recently bought a cabin on a pretty large inland lake (Houghton lake for anyone from michigan). lots of sandbars, an island where everyone hangs out and a few beaches.

Naturally, hanging out with him and my step mom on their boat is getting old, and my girlfriend and I have been flirting with the idea of getting a jet boat basically to hop around sand bars.

The problem is I have no idea where to start. I want to be able to seat atleast 5 people, and while I don't need a big twin engine, I'd still like a little get up and go for cruising around (this lake has 33 some miles of shoreline, so there's lots of cruising to be had).

What do I look for in terms of motor? Is there any that are more reliable than others? What about features, or possible upgrades, are there any boats that are exceptionally customizeable? I'm going to be looking in the 4 to 8 thousand dollar price range, and around here that can get you a 2000-2006 sea doo all day, and I'm sure thats what I'll end up with, although the new scarab ghost is really testing me and the impulse is like a fever dream.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
For up to 8000 you can grab a Yamaha ls2000 in great condition as well that will be a blast, fast, and easy maintenance! It will, however be a two smoke. Another boat to look for if you can get your hands on a good one is the xr1800 which is a power valve two smoke with 310 hp out of the box! Insane!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think any boat in this price range will require some careful looking and definitely size up the "seller". I have an LS2000 and it has been perfect for our family. Perfect size, trailerability, storage, speed, serviceability, etc.

You should think about who will maintain your boat and/or who in the area can maintain your boat. While these may be turn key out of the gate, there are preventative things you can do and given the age of boats in the $8K price range, you will have parts to replace/maintain. Know that going into it and you will not be disappointed

If you do go for one of the older 2 stroke boats, consider one that still has the oil injection since they smoke less. For Yamaha, you will want to make sure that the oil lines are upgraded (oetiker clamps on connections versus zip ties). We can help you a lot once you get dialed in on length, price range, how it will be used, etc.

Others on here can tell you more about what to look for in a Sea Doo.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think any boat in this price range will require some careful looking and definitely size up the "seller". I have an LS2000 and it has been perfect for our family. Perfect size, trailerability, storage, speed, serviceability, etc.

You should think about who will maintain your boat and/or who in the area can maintain your boat. While these may be turn key out of the gate, there are preventative things you can do and given the age of boats in the $8K price range, you will have parts to replace/maintain. Know that going into it and you will not be disappointed

If you do go for one of the older 2 stroke boats, consider one that still has the oil injection since they smoke less. For Yamaha, you will want to make sure that the oil lines are upgraded (oetiker clamps on connections versus zip ties). We can help you a lot once you get dialed in on length, price range, how it will be used, etc.

Others on here can tell you more about what to look for in a Sea Doo.
Oil injection is great.
And zip ties when properly done are fine but they and cheap fuel line get brittle and crack over many years.
When i did my testing i hung a 8" block from a 16 penny nail that was attached with a zip tie. Pictures were on an old phone.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
For up to 8000 you can grab a Yamaha ls2000 in great condition as well that will be a blast, fast, and easy maintenance! It will, however be a two smoke. Another boat to look for if you can get your hands on a good one is the xr1800 which is a power valve two smoke with 310 hp out of the box! Insane!
@Speedling ...was that a Freudian slip? ;)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Tylorwashere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Wow, I didn't expect so many replies,(positive ones at that). as for maintenance and stuff, I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I think as long as I can get advice from fine people like yourselves, I can handle most of the simple stuff.

This is probably very similar to what I'll end up with-
https://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/5611446603.html

This one has been sitting a few miles from my house since early spring, I think if it makes it all summer I might try and offer 9 in the fall-
https://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/5601895612.html

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Those are both 4-stroke engines, so you wouldn't even have the oil line issues.

There is a college student that lives around the corner from me who bought a Yamaha Exciter 135 (2-cycle) for something like $800. He rebuilt the engine and did a lot of cleaning up and he's out on the lake. I ran into him and his friend and a couple of girls and they were having a blast. Doesn't have to cost much to get on the water if you are willing to put in the work.

Good luck!

Tylorwashere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Those are both 4-stroke engines, so you wouldn't even have the oil line issues.

There is a college student that lives around the corner from me who bought a Yamaha Exciter 135 (2-cycle) for something like $800. He rebuilt the engine and did a lot of cleaning up and he's out on the lake. I ran into him and his friend and a couple of girls and they were having a blast. Doesn't have to cost much to get on the water if you are willing to put in the work.

Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement lol. There was a little blue sugar sands from the 80s for sale for like 1200 bucks, I almost seriously considered it lol.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the site and good luck with your search.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Well, I might need to mention he's a senior in mechanical engineering and that he restores and sells Waverunners for spending money... :)

Tylorwashere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah that might make things easier lol