• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Skate, Interested

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Hey all,

I am interested in getting into wake skating. I wake boarded many years ago (20). Any suggestions on a board to get started and what length of rope? I am 6'3" 190lbs, Being pulled behind a 2016 242se.

thanks

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is @2kwik4u territory. He'll have a suggestion.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run a decent no-stretch rope. I think mine is a Ronix, cna't remember what brand the rope is, but the handle is definitely a Ronix. 60ft in length I think. Whatever the standard length is. I've tried longer and shorter, I'm not sure I'm good enough to tell the difference to be honest. Shorter put me into the jet wash a little more than I liked. Longer just felt "weird" and the response to input was dulled a little.

The board I ride is a Hyperlite Stylus 45in. Not sure they make them that large anymore. I'm 6'2" tall and run about 215-225 depending on my weekly beer intake. Had a nice dual layer Ronix (like this one, but a different model) with our last boat, but let it go with the boat. The Hyperlite was under $100 when I got it. Again, I'm not good enough anymore to need to dual layer multi-rocker setup. Here's the Stylus 43. It might be a little small for you, but at 190lbs you'll probably be OK, might have to add a little speed to keep it easily gliding on the water. Maybe 19-21mph or so.

I used to ride 2-3 times a week with 2-3 60min sessions each time out. Then I had kids, and I probably haven't put more than about 4hrs on the board in the last 4 seasons.

Behind our AR190, I'll ride in the 18-20mph range. little more speed will get the spins out in the flats a little easier. Balancing on the wake lip (like riding a rail) is a little easier around 18mph. Just adjust as you need to, you'll get the feel of it.

Biggest difference between the board and skate is how you come up. The board will "pop" out of the water, it has MUCH more surface area than the skate. The skate will be VERY squirrely to come out of the water. Stick with it though, you'll figure it out I'm sure. Also, you can't start from a "dead stop", you need the driver to give you just a little forward pull. Like 2k rpm in our 190 (maybe 1-2mph), just enough to keep the board on your feet so you can set your hands. Then hammer down and get pulled up. Once you're up, STAY SEATED for a second. Like in a crouched position, this will get your center of mass down low and give you more control over the board. Then SLOWLY stand up. Once you get the hang of it you can go straight to standing.

Once your one the board, ollies, kickflips, and rails are hte tricks to start working on IMO. Get those nailed (you'll crash A LOT) and you'll have a really strong base. I couldn't even ollie last year when I was out, so I stuck to playing on the lip of the wake, and doing surface spins. Think I had (3) 360 spins in a row as a record. Takes some planning to get the handle pass behind the back just right, but once you do, you can spin until you're dizzy. Great fun!

Also.....The crashes DO NOT hurt like they do on the board. You just kind "fall off" and the skate goes the other way. Boarding gave me a headache on to many occasions, that's why I moved to the skate. Even if you catch a nasty backside edge, you'll just fall into the water at speed, it won't slam you into the water.

Did this last year on the skate. I don't advise it, but it was neat to do once. Best friend was driving his tri-toon next to me while skating, so I slipped over and high-fived him!

This was the same lake two days later. No tricks or anything cool, but man the water was soooo smooth

Nevermind the thumbs in this one. Have a nice 360 spin in there, but otherwise it's pretty boring.

Like I said, I used to be fairly decent, now I'm just glad to get to stand on a board in the water a few times before I'm either out of time, have a kid that's bored, or too out of shape to keep going.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I run a decent no-stretch rope. I think mine is a Ronix, cna't remember what brand the rope is, but the handle is definitely a Ronix. 60ft in length I think. Whatever the standard length is. I've tried longer and shorter, I'm not sure I'm good enough to tell the difference to be honest. Shorter put me into the jet wash a little more than I liked. Longer just felt "weird" and the response to input was dulled a little.

The board I ride is a Hyperlite Stylus 45in. Not sure they make them that large anymore. I'm 6'2" tall and run about 215-225 depending on my weekly beer intake. Had a nice dual layer Ronix (like this one, but a different model) with our last boat, but let it go with the boat. The Hyperlite was under $100 when I got it. Again, I'm not good enough anymore to need to dual layer multi-rocker setup. Here's the Stylus 43. It might be a little small for you, but at 190lbs you'll probably be OK, might have to add a little speed to keep it easily gliding on the water. Maybe 19-21mph or so.

I used to ride 2-3 times a week with 2-3 60min sessions each time out. Then I had kids, and I probably haven't put more than about 4hrs on the board in the last 4 seasons.

Behind our AR190, I'll ride in the 18-20mph range. little more speed will get the spins out in the flats a little easier. Balancing on the wake lip (like riding a rail) is a little easier around 18mph. Just adjust as you need to, you'll get the feel of it.

Biggest difference between the board and skate is how you come up. The board will "pop" out of the water, it has MUCH more surface area than the skate. The skate will be VERY squirrely to come out of the water. Stick with it though, you'll figure it out I'm sure. Also, you can't start from a "dead stop", you need the driver to give you just a little forward pull. Like 2k rpm in our 190 (maybe 1-2mph), just enough to keep the board on your feet so you can set your hands. Then hammer down and get pulled up. Once you're up, STAY SEATED for a second. Like in a crouched position, this will get your center of mass down low and give you more control over the board. Then SLOWLY stand up. Once you get the hang of it you can go straight to standing.

Once your one the board, ollies, kickflips, and rails are hte tricks to start working on IMO. Get those nailed (you'll crash A LOT) and you'll have a really strong base. I couldn't even ollie last year when I was out, so I stuck to playing on the lip of the wake, and doing surface spins. Think I had (3) 360 spins in a row as a record. Takes some planning to get the handle pass behind the back just right, but once you do, you can spin until you're dizzy. Great fun!

Also.....The crashes DO NOT hurt like they do on the board. You just kind "fall off" and the skate goes the other way. Boarding gave me a headache on to many occasions, that's why I moved to the skate. Even if you catch a nasty backside edge, you'll just fall into the water at speed, it won't slam you into the water.

Did this last year on the skate. I don't advise it, but it was neat to do once. Best friend was driving his tri-toon next to me while skating, so I slipped over and high-fived him!

This was the same lake two days later. No tricks or anything cool, but man the water was soooo smooth

Nevermind the thumbs in this one. Have a nice 360 spin in there, but otherwise it's pretty boring.

Like I said, I used to be fairly decent, now I'm just glad to get to stand on a board in the water a few times before I'm either out of time, have a kid that's bored, or too out of shape to keep going.
DUDE! That's awesome, been thinking about picking this up. Looks like a lot of fun. We get limited time out surfing since I have a little one that gets bored too. We tell him just to deal with it. Generally try to surf at the end of the day when he's tired and just wants to put his head down anywho.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
DUDE! That's awesome, been thinking about picking this up. Looks like a lot of fun. We get limited time out surfing since I have a little one that gets bored too. We tell him just to deal with it. Generally try to surf at the end of the day when he's tired and just wants to put his head down anywho.
One of the things that I really like about the skate is how "fast" it is to get a run in. The last couple years, I only get to ride if we're going to/from the dock to the swimming hole. I can toss on a vest, attach the rope and jump in the water in less than a minute or two. Get a couple pulls in, then hop back in the boat, stow the gear in seconds and we're back to normal. The setup time is SOOOOO FAST, that it makes it easy to get a run or two in when everything else (putting boots/board on your feet, filling ballast, etc) would take longer than I have to give it.

Back in the day, you know, before kids. My wife and I would take her best friend out on the boat (2 chicks in bikini's and myself, I thought I was hot stuff.) out for the day. She could sit and chat, and my wife would never even take the boat out of gear. Once I fell, she would slow down, circle back, and I could grab the rope, orient myself and get prepped for the next pull without ever stopping. I could do that for maybe 90-120min or so pretty regularly. They were happy as could be sitting up there chatting about whatever and enjoying the sun. Was quite the nice setup for me.......We're all married now, with kids, and other crap going on, so those days are long gone.......Man, good times though.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
One of the things that I really like about the skate is how "fast" it is to get a run in. The last couple years, I only get to ride if we're going to/from the dock to the swimming hole. I can toss on a vest, attach the rope and jump in the water in less than a minute or two. Get a couple pulls in, then hop back in the boat, stow the gear in seconds and we're back to normal. The setup time is SOOOOO FAST, that it makes it easy to get a run or two in when everything else (putting boots/board on your feet, filling ballast, etc) would take longer than I have to give it.

Back in the day, you know, before kids. My wife and I would take her best friend out on the boat (2 chicks in bikini's and myself, I thought I was hot stuff.) out for the day. She could sit and chat, and my wife would never even take the boat out of gear. Once I fell, she would slow down, circle back, and I could grab the rope, orient myself and get prepped for the next pull without ever stopping. I could do that for maybe 90-120min or so pretty regularly. They were happy as could be sitting up there chatting about whatever and enjoying the sun. Was quite the nice setup for me.......We're all married now, with kids, and other crap going on, so those days are long gone.......Man, good times though.
Yeah we fill the ballasts while eating lunch or getting the board out of the rack, getting ropes, etc. On the new boats they fill stupid fast! I haven't messed with any aftermarket bags yet as I want it to take the least amount of time to get up and running. Not looking for exceptional surfing at this point in our lives.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
On the new boats they fill stupid fast!
I sure wouldn’t have said that. Lol!

Unless they corrected the 2020, the 2019 242x only has 1 fill/drain port and 3 pumps. Totally dumb, imo.

I believe the 21’ boat has 2 ports, right? Is it 1 port for ski locker, and the other for the side bags? Or, are they all joined some how?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@suke @BigAbe75 I'm sure you've both seen the setup @swatski put on his for filling ballast. 3 ports with 3 dedicated pumps. I think his is the fastest I've seen/heard of filling up at around 5min or so. I could have that number wrong, but that is what seems to stick in my head.

Had some friends with a Centurion awhile back (still friends, but the boat is gone), and it had the RamFill system. I want to say it was still a 6-8min fill for the ballast on that boat.

Filling them while sitting and eating lunch is a great idea though. Do you retrieve with them full or do you have to empty them before putting it on the trailer?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I sure wouldn’t have said that. Lol!

Unless they corrected the 2020, the 2019 242x only has 1 fill/drain port and 3 pumps. Totally dumb, imo.

I believe the 21’ boat has 2 ports, right? Is it 1 port for ski locker, and the other for the side bags? Or, are they all joined some how?
Yeah the 21ft has 2 ports. One fills the bag in the locker, 2 hard tanks in the rear and they have one pump for those 2. I've only filled them once, but they filled and were done before I was ready to drop in the water. I'll try and pay better attention tomorrow. Couldn't have been more than 8 mins or so.

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@suke @BigAbe75 I'm sure you've both seen the setup @swatski put on his for filling ballast. 3 ports with 3 dedicated pumps. I think his is the fastest I've seen/heard of filling up at around 5min or so. I could have that number wrong, but that is what seems to stick in my head.

Had some friends with a Centurion awhile back (still friends, but the boat is gone), and it had the RamFill system. I want to say it was still a 6-8min fill for the ballast on that boat.

Filling them while sitting and eating lunch is a great idea though. Do you retrieve with them full or do you have to empty them before putting it on the trailer?
I'll drain them while on the way back to the ramp, and they're drained by the time I get back.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah, for sure!!