• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

wake surfing 212x

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I installed the wake wedge at 10 degrees on my 2014 212x.

I filled the stock ballast, 700lb bag on the port seat, 300lb bag on port side of swim platform and 1 250lb bag across the back seat. 1 150 lb passenger on port rear seat and the other in front port seat.

The wave I thought was a pretty decent size, much bigger than without the wedge and ballast. The one issue was the wave broke pretty close to the boat and from my limited experience the sweet spot seemed to be too close to the boat. A few times I accelerated rather uncontrolled towards the boat due to my limited experience and it felt like I'd hit the boat it was that close.

So my question is how do I get the wave to break farther back and create a bigger sweet spot. I did have a 250lb bag that I didn't fill up that I can use.

Thanks!

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How fast you going ? Try going a hair faster

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lots of marks on the back of my boat from coming up and tapping it with the board. I just except it as normal.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2,000 lbs wedge and people. I'm the heaviest and usually a little closer in but not that much more. 10.5 mph. A big short wave is too slow or wedge down too much, not enough weight, some or all of the above.

surf.jpg

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2,000 lbs wedge and people. I'm the heaviest and usually a little closer in but not that much more. 10.5 mph. A big short wave is too slow or wedge down too much, not enough weight, some or all of the above.
Might be a smidge different on a 23' v.s. a 21' though.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@JHC212X We have the same boat....here's our wake. No wedge. Just ballast...1100 a side plus a 450 on the back deck. We fill surf side only

image.jpeg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I installed the wake wedge at 10 degrees on my 2014 212x.

I filled the stock ballast, 700lb bag on the port seat, 300lb bag on port side of swim platform and 1 250lb bag across the back seat. 1 150 lb passenger on port rear seat and the other in front port seat.

The wave I thought was a pretty decent size, much bigger than without the wedge and ballast. The one issue was the wave broke pretty close to the boat and from my limited experience the sweet spot seemed to be too close to the boat. A few times I accelerated rather uncontrolled towards the boat due to my limited experience and it felt like I'd hit the boat it was that close.

So my question is how do I get the wave to break farther back and create a bigger sweet spot. I did have a 250lb bag that I didn't fill up that I can use.

Thanks!

Sounds like the Wedge is to far down. Try adjusting the angle up.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JHC212X update your profile so we know where your at, maybe there's a member close by that could loan you a bag or two to get your wave figured out,

Since you have the exact boat as bobbie I would suggest you try her set up first and see if you can duplicate it or if she really did get some "pixie dust" sprinkled on it and has a one of kind boat!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would try the Angle up first, and then yes you can add bow weight to lengthen out the pocket.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bobbie does have a great wave without the Wedge no doubt, BUT here is the key look how much farther back her pocket is with the exact same setup, for the most part, and the addition of the wake wedge.

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The wedge isn't that far down. I think I only turned the buckle maybe half a turn and that is it. It's almost level.

Anyway I'll do only a quarter turn, speed up a bit and add some ballast into the bow.

I'm in Kelowna, BC. Don't see too many Yamaha's out here much less wake surfing ones!

Thanks for the tips!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The wedge isn't that far down. I think I only turned the buckle maybe half a turn and that is it. It's almost level.

Anyway I'll do only a quarter turn, speed up a bit and add some ballast into the bow.

I'm in Kelowna, BC. Don't see too many Yamaha's out here much less wake surfing ones!

Thanks for the tips!
If you only did half a turn that may not be enough. I think I did about 1 full turn or a turn and a half on Bobbies.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Usually we don't move our wedge angle but this time on vacation we left the wedge on all week so it got moved up for when we weren't surfing. I had the same thing happen my pocket wasn't long enough and found the wedge angle was to far up so after moving it down just a bit it was perfect.

I like riding as far back as possible so I prefer having a longer pocket & a really great wave over a massive wave with barely a pocket. Glad I have the best of both worlds !

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
thanks! That sounds like us right now...pretty big wave and small pocket.

Each time we go out I change something and it gets better. I have a feeling this time we'll nail it we are that close! :)

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Add the wake wedge automation and you can control the wedge up or down a little at a time while underway. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Upped the speed to about 11.5mph give or take, had two people sit in the bow, put the 250lb bag I had across the back seat to the floor on the port side and turned the wedge down 1.5 full turns. That made the wave better and we can surf the wave with the rope completely slack for quite a long time. My friend actually threw the rope in the boat was was ropeless for about 30 seconds.

The wave isn't as big as I'd like still though. No where as big as Bobbie's wave :-(. I guess I need more ballast in the right areas. We go out again this weekend and I'll fill the last 250lb bag.

Any suggestions on where I put 1 750lb bag, 2 250lb bags and 2 150lb fat bricks? Also do I fill the stock ballast or not?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a different boat than you but here is my placement and we surf ropeless. 350lb on the floor in the bow, 750 on the floor in the very back, 400 on the seat in the back on each side and 400 on the swim platform surf side. For our boats with their shallow draft the goal needs to be "sink the boat." I will adjust those amounts depending on how many people I have in the boat, but that is my basic setup for three people (one surfer, one driver and one observer - that usual crew only weighs in at less than 400 lbs total). For your boat I would start with the stock ballast as and then add to it - your stock ballast will be out of the way so you may not need to have bags all over the place like on my boat.

PS nice boating location, I grew up in Vernon!