• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Surfing with Trim Tabs

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've searched the forums and can't find the answer to this. Will trim tabs list our boats at surf speed enough to shape the wake to surf if we keep our ballast at centerline? I've been listing our boat with the transom bag from Gantlin but it's a PIA to switch sides. I was thinking that listing it with trim tabs would allow us to keep ballast at the centerline so that all we would need to do to switch sides would be to swap the universal wake wedge and adjust the trim tabs. FYI...My boat is an AR240 and I'm using the transom bag, universal wake wedge, and a 750 lbs bag up front.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know @swatski did some experimenting with his trim tabs in surf applications on his AR240. I can't recall if he attempted mounting the ballast centerline...? In general his assessment was the the deployed tab lifted the rear of the boat hurting the wave. However, ballast placement and amount could be a defining factor.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately, it does not work - a tab down does list the boat but it also forces steering adjustment to counter the tab action - which in turn ruins the wake surface with jet thrust.