• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Wedge on either side

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After looking at feedback on the different surf options, I think I’ve decided to go with a Wake Wedge. It seems to produce the best wake, and is still reasonably to take on and off. That said, I have a few questions, and would love to get feedback from folks.

1. My boat is a stock 2011 242 LS, so I have no ballast in it. Can I get away with the custom swim platform bag from Gantlin Products, or will I need more ballast for it to work effectively?

2. We have both regular and “goofy” footed surfers. Is the Universal Wake Wedge moveable to either side? I ask because when I went to order it you have to choose the side you want to surf on.

Thanks for any feedback!

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I hate to be the one to tell you but you will want to purchase a second one for the other side. You can break down the one you have to reverse the hinge but it’s a big waist of time and not practical out on the water. Also you’ll need a second ladder bracket or a second Wedge will come with it. I feel your pain I had purchase two also... quick convenient ballast switching sides is a whole other issue.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1. My boat is a stock 2011 242 LS, so I have no ballast in it. Can I get away with the custom swim platform bag from Gantlin Products, or will I need more ballast for it to work effectively?
First hand experience, as we just purchased the Custom Transom bag for our 2011 242LS this spring.

As others will state, there is not replacement for ballast, but the transom bag is money for getting the most weight as far back as possible. And you can run it on either side, or centered. We ran it centered last night as we surfed both sides.

If you don’t spend the money on a ski locker bag or additional bags, just be ready to get your friends on board, as human ballast is easy to tune with verbal commands. We put adults actually in the bow last night to lengthen our wave and it worked great. I got on the wave and realized i was getting pushed into the stern, then noticed my buddy was in the back of the boat. I got up him up in the bow and the wave lengthened.

Since we have nothing to compare it, we are super stoked, and the kids are easily ropeless. I really want to load the boat to capacity with friends now! You will also want to keep topping your fuel off. Might as well keep that ballast tank filled! Good luck!

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First hand experience, as we just purchased the Custom Transom bag for our 2011 242LS this spring.

As others will state, there is not replacement for ballast, but the transom bag is money for getting the most weight as far back as possible. And you can run it on either side, or centered. We ran it centered last night as we surfed both sides.

If you don’t spend the money on a ski locker bag or additional bags, just be ready to get your friends on board, as human ballast is easy to tune with verbal commands. We put adults actually in the bow last night to lengthen our wave and it worked great. I got on the wave and realized i was getting pushed into the stern, then noticed my buddy was in the back of the boat. I got up him up in the bow and the wave lengthened.

Since we have nothing to compare it, we are super stoked, and the kids are easily ropeless. I really want to load the boat to capacity with friends now! You will also want to keep topping your fuel off. Might as well keep that ballast tank filled! Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. So, in your opinion should I purchase a ski locker bag, or can I get a good wave with just the transom bag and human weight? I typically have 6+ people in my boat.

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hate to be the one to tell you but you will want to purchase a second one for the other side. You can break down the one you have to reverse the hinge but it’s a big waist of time and not practical out on the water. Also you’ll need a second ladder bracket or a second Wedge will come with it. I feel your pain I had purchase two also... quick convenient ballast switching sides is a whole other issue.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was thinking I would have to buy two. Here’s what I don’t get. The “Universal” Wake Wedge leads you to believe it can be moved to either side (also $150 higher price). What is the difference between it and the standard one?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. So, in your opinion should I purchase a ski locker bag, or can I get a good wave with just the transom bag and human weight? I typically have 6+ people in my boat.
Depends is the right answer. I’m gonna run it with just the transom bag for now. But if I see a cheap bag for the locker used I will grab it. Although, our locker is full of stuff now, and I don’t care to loose floor space or storage

I think you can add as you need or justify. Honestly, once you start it’s way easier to justify filling your boat with ballast. So I am going to do it as we go along.

Most will tell you 1200-1500 is common. I would rather use people for list is just easier.

Good luck

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was thinking I would have to buy two. Here’s what I don’t get. The “Universal” Wake Wedge leads you to believe it can be moved to either side (also $150 higher price). What is the difference between it and the standard one?
I’m not sure, it may or may not have the ladder access hinge and it must come with the second or other side ladder bracket I mentioned.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s a good @jcyamaharider question.
They may be out testing new products in a secret location if no answer right away.
:cool:

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The Universal wedge can work on both sides. The wedge is one piece and all you have to do is remove it from the boat undo the small ring holding the turnbuckle and attach the turnbuckle on the other side.

The standard wedge has a flip hinge that is used for ladder access and can only can be used on the side it's set up for. All standard wedges all can be taken apart and switched to be used on either side but that is definitely not ideal to do on the water. Before we came out with the universal wedges most people just purchased two of them if they had regular and goofy riders.

20190710_162648.jpg

20190710_162624.jpg

Last edited:

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Is there no ladder access with the universal wedge? I'll tell you, the one hold out I have is the ladder access seems difficult, via online feedback, on the single side and looks impossible with the universal. My wife and kids constantly take dips in-between different pulls (tube, ski, board). I really want to get the wedge instead of the booster but am afraid I won't like the difficulty of getting access to the ladder often.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
On the ‘15+ 24’ boats, while you’re surfing and fully ballasted up the swim deck is under water or at water level. I’m nearly 45, 6’4 and 350lbs (as much as I hate to admit it... no it’s not all muscle. Lol) and my whole family just scrambles up over the deck without the ladder. Once we drain the ballast, then we will fold the Wedge down for ladder access.

The universal doesn’t fold, so I still think you’d be fine while you have the transom ballast full. Nothing wrong with swim breaks and floating with the bags full. Once you’re done, though, you’ll probably want to take the wedge off.

Or, buy 2 (so you can use the folding model) I’ve seen 2 for sale in the classifieds in the last couple weeks. One was just the other day for $350, and I’m sure would fit your boat.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I will let in on some info about the universal wedge. When it was first developed we had a quick disconnect for turnbuckle so ladder access could still be used. We had 2 issues that arised very early on.
1. Order boats ladders swing under the boat more than the newer models so when someone boarded the ladder it pushed down on the wedge and over stressed the hinges and could ruin them causing a warranty issue.
2. The second issue is the quick disconnect ring we used at the time was so easy it actually keep slip off while using the wedge surfing or driving normal. So if you loose your ring you would have to take off the wedge unless you had a backup to put back on the turnbuckle.

With that being said we went right back to the key ring loop to avoid failures. The design behind the both wedges is to be very robust for a reason nobody wants failures while you are enjoying your day on the water.

I am sure a new ring connection could be found that would slip on and off but still stay on in tow as well. My other idea would be placing some kind of stop on your ladder and not allow for the ladder to swing under the boat so it cannot place any stress on the hinges. The universal wedge hinges can bend to a 90 but any more could cause you to have to replace the hinges I am sure a work around can be figured out . . .

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@galonuscct Or you can get a discount if you buy a port & starboard wedge just contact Jerry about pricing. We carry 2 in our boat at all times even with all our float mats and water toys room isn't an issue under the seats. Regardless you have to remove one and place on the other side so you are doing the same install with either choice of wedge. Personally I like the rubber straps on the regular wedge super easy I would carry 2 for the family and very quick ladder access. It's really all in your setup, space, etc so that's why there are options to get whatever works for you.