• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakebaord tower change to black?

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So as I'm looking for projects to keep me from going insane during covid madness I've been adding lots of stuff to the boat. I just had the windows done in 15% tint, installed a completely updated stereo system and now I'm thinking I would like to change the color on the tower to black.

I do not want to send it to the powder coater because I have to remove everything and take it there and it would be be quite a big expense. I'm wondering if anybody has ever wrapped their tower in something like muffler tape or exhaust tape or a Kevlar tape or there's a products made by vinyl you can buy on Amazon. Has anybody done anything like this with good results changing the tower color over to black where it doesn't come undone in the sun.

I've searched the forum and didn't see anything about this. It would be relatively easy as I have the boat and tower seperated in the garage. It would be simply time and wrapping with some type of permanent good looking black material. I've seen Navy SEAL rib boats wrap there upper deck work wrapped in like a black carbon fiber just don't know what material to work the best.

Love to hear any and everyone's ideas especially if you've made it work for a couple seasons
IMG_20200507_063041.jpg

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd probably go the line-x route. They offer different colors and textures outside of your traditional bedliner sprays.

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can definitely do the bedliner look but if it looks a little too clumsy I’d recommend this stuff. I’ve used it on too many applications to count over the years and it looks/feels awesome.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm not a professional, but knowing that your structure is going to flex and be exposed to temp swings and you have a ton of corners to deal with, I would think that IF you were to go the route of coating it with something, your prep work would be key. Acid etch the metal/prime/coat. What about selling that and buying a black one? I'm sure you could sell that tower quickly. Cost difference would be the time and PITA in dealing with coating.

You'd hate to put a ton of time into it only to have it start cracking and peeling off right away. Then you either have to deal with a crappy looking tower or start the process all over.

Edit: Looking at the towers at Big Air, they powder coat the black ones. I priced a PC projected out locally (central WI) and was given $25 per foot for sandblasting and powder coating, out the door.

Last edited:

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not a professional, but knowing that your structure is going to flex and be exposed to temp swings and you have a ton of corners to deal with, I would think that IF you were to go the route of coating it with something, your prep work would be key. Acid etch the metal/prime/coat. What about selling that and buying a black one? I'm sure you could sell that tower quickly. Cost difference would be the time and PITA in dealing with coating.

You'd hate to put a ton of time into it only to have it start cracking and peeling off right away. Then you either have to deal with a crappy looking tower or start the process all over.
You can absolutely powder coat any wakeboard tower. You are correct about temperature playing a role however. Powder coating was designed around applications predisposed to greater temperature swings. That said any paint w a higher advertised temperature rating such as VHT (vehicle high temp) paints should do the trick. No reason not to attempt a refurb vs buying new.

Scarab 215

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
An idea you can check out.

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think..we will just leave it as is than..all good info but as I read.id hate to have it flex and change in the cold. It looks great for 14 years old and No flex and perfect welds. I think "covid -hate sitting around madness" has me creating projects out of thin air that aren't needed.

Gonna leave well enough alone.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think..we will just leave it as is than..all good info but as I read.id hate to have it flex and change in the cold. It looks great for 14 years old and No flex and perfect welds. I think "covid -hate sitting around madness" has me creating projects out of thin air that aren't needed.

Gonna leave well enough alone.
You know, you could polish the aluminum to a mirror shine. Would take forever, and not be a "coating" to have to owrry about. Definitely give you something to do while you're in lockdown

Milwmarc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ohhh I have plenty to keep me busy on boat..adding perfect pass, repairing some gel coat, changing out 14 yr old cables, and bought a Brandy new truck doing 6 k in upgrades over next 3 weeks. Corona is giving me time and costing me $$..but I left lots of $$ "Hay In The barn" for a draught like this to keep the animals (family) fed and stay busy. Love all the input!

I just wish someone would tell me they used vvivid vinyl tape from Amazon or some other tape that has lasted several seasons and could share pictures.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dont look at it as spending money, look at it as doing your part for the country's economic recovery, spend like a drunken sailor!