• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurf No Wedge Tips

matthewfraase

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I had purchased the Gantlin Wake Wedge for my Yamaha 2007 AR210. From communication it sounds like I won’t be able to use it because my boat has Thrust Vector XV’s installed. I believe that can cause issues if they hit each other during operations.

So alas, looks like we will make surf attempts without a wedge and just a 750 lb custom ballast bag on the swim platform and 400 lb bag for the center deck.

Any suggestions if that will work? We aren’t looking for our family for this to be some crazy surf boat, we would be more than happy just being able to surf behind the boat with nothing fancy. Is this possible? I was reading it is with the driver taking a slight turn into the direction of the weighted side.

Any Intel or suggestions for a super casual surfing family would be amazing!

Attachments

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Step 1 - Don't yell at me for recommending this

Step 2 - Keep the wake wedge because the best st what it does

Step 3 - Uninstall the thrust vectors
Step 3.5A - Run fin-less
Step 3.5B - If steering fins are needed go with the Cobra Jets

Step 4 - Surf an awesome wave

If the Cobra Jet Steering just isn't an option for you then. You can try the following.

Step 1 - Fill ballast with the swimdeck bag positioned surf side per instruction

Step 2 - Pull rider up and accelerate to surf speed

Step 3 - Offset throttles be powering up on the non surf side and down on the surf side. Power surf side down enough that it still is helping but creating less jetwash

Step 4 - If wave is still messy and non surfable, proceed to perform a gradual turn surf side to lean the boat further accentuating the wave.

Last edited:

matthewfraase

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Step 1 don't yell away me for recommending this.

Step 2 keep the wake wedge because the best st what it does

Step 3 uninstall the thrust vectors
Step 3.5A - Run fin-less
Step 3.5B - If steering fins are needed go with the Cobra Jets

Step 4 - Surf an awesome wave

If the Cobra Jet Steering just isn't an option for you then. You can try the following.

Step 1 - Fill ballast with the swimdeck bag positioned surf side per instruction

Step 2 - Pull rider up and accelerate to surf speed

Step 3 - Offset throttles be powering up on the non surf side and down on the surf side. Power surf side down enough that it still is helping but creating less jetwash

Step 4 - If wave is still messy and non surfable, proceed to perform a gradual turn surf side to lean the boat further accentuating the wave.
Great insight on both suggestions!
Would removing the vectors I currently have be difficult? I am way less than a handy man.

If I can pick you brain abit, are the vectors truly needed? I have the lateral steering installed, but what would be affected by removing the thrusters? We like to wakeboard and ski and will now try surfing. Will those thrusters being removed affect anything?

I appreciate your help!

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Your wedge already shipped so I would say go ahead and install it. Set your wedge angle and have someone in the boat to move steering wheel. Hold your fins all the way up during this process and see how close they get. Maybe send a video and pics to Jerry if you are unsure.

If you are considering removing your fins we just did that process. We had the same as yours they were causing extra spray and we wanted high speed steering that cobras offered. Also were able to add cobras along with our lateral thrusters. Wave was cleaner and steering didn't feel tight anyone.

matthewfraase

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your wedge already shipped so I would say go ahead and install it. Set your wedge angle and have someone in the boat to move steering wheel. Hold your fins all the way up during this process and see how close they get. Maybe send a video and pics to Jerry if you are unsure.

If you are considering removing your fins we just did that process. We had the same as yours they were causing extra spray and we wanted high speed steering that cobras offered. Also were able to add cobras along with our lateral thrusters. Wave was cleaner and steering didn't feel tight anyone.
Great to know! If I remove the XV’s for the Cobras, I shouldn’t have to do anything with the lateral thrusters correct? Appreciate the help

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great insight on both suggestions!
Would removing the vectors I currently have be difficult? I am way less than a handy man.

If I can pick you brain abit, are the vectors truly needed? I have the lateral steering installed, but what would be affected by removing the thrusters? We like to wakeboard and ski and will now try surfing. Will those thrusters being removed affect anything?

I appreciate your help!
@jcyamaharider and @jcyamahariders wife are familiar with both types of steering as they mentioned above and probably a better resource for removal and install information. I have always run stock but have considered Cobra Jet myself. I still am. There are YouTube videos of the install process for each, and plenty of members here willing to help including Jeff (@Cobra Jet Steering LLC). If you run into a snag, just throw up a post.

In my research and as @jcyamahariders wife just confirmed, they do work with the lateral thrusters.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On the later year 21ft boats ( 2012 and on ) that was the issue. I do believe your boat will be fine. Go ahead and put the wedge on and as mentioned above and we can go from there.

matthewfraase

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the later year 21ft boats ( 2012 and on ) that was the issue. I do believe your boat will be fine. Go ahead and put the wedge on and as mentioned above and we can go from there.
Sounds great! It arrives Friday, I will install it and take a video of the vectors at top height; to see if it would be an issue. I appreciate your help and responses sir!

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If everybody is surfing on the same side of the boat. Install the surf wedge and then just opposite or 1 side of the thrust vector. Best of both worlds.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
can you lock the vectors in the down position ?? ( I can't remember all the different styles and attributes)

since you're just learning, just being pulled behind the boat is fun, the wave isn't that critical as you'll probably hold the rope for a while just getting the hang of going up on the wake and sliding down and learning how to get slack in the rope,
front foot weight is your accelerator
rear foot weight is your brake,

aim for 10.5 mph constant speed,

once your comfortable standing up, hold the handle in your back hand and the rope with your front, it will help you maintain a center balance easier,

once you throw the rope it will change you body position and it will be a whole new game (for me it was easier)