• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurf speed and settings

BossMan27

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
hello,

I just got a wake wedge and bag and I’m trying to dial in the settings. Brand new to boating and would appreciate any suggestions or advise.

I’m trying to find the best settings and speed to go ropeless.

2018 242x
Center ballast 100%
Port ballast 100%
Port fat sac on swim deck

Just a driver in the boat. I’m 195lbs being towed.

I’m wondering what speed to be pulled at for the best wake. I’ve also been playing with the wedge angle as well. I’ve watched the YouTube video and just wondering about how far the top of the wedge from the swim deck should be. I set the angle out of the boat, but fine tuning in the water was tougher and I think I just got it all wrong.

Didn’t have a lot of time yesterday and it was the first time out but couldn’t quite get ropeless.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hello,

I just got a wake wedge and bag and I’m trying to dial in the settings. Brand new to boating and would appreciate any suggestions or advise.

I’m trying to find the best settings and speed to go ropeless.

2018 242x
Center ballast 100%
Port ballast 100%
Port fat sac on swim deck

Just a driver in the boat. I’m 195lbs being towed.

I’m wondering what speed to be pulled at for the best wake. I’ve also been playing with the wedge angle as well. I’ve watched the YouTube video and just wondering about how far the top of the wedge from the swim deck should be. I set the angle out of the boat, but fine tuning in the water was tougher and I think I just got it all wrong.

Didn’t have a lot of time yesterday and it was the first time out but couldn’t quite get ropeless.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
With this setup your best speeds should be around 10.5-10.8.
The wedge angle needs to be very shallow - we are going literally just two full turnbuckle turns down (from strait-out-flat max), per @jcyamaharider (and it works).

--

BossMan27

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you!

That helps a lot.

Are you filling your starboard ballast at all? Or just the center and port?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also depends on people on board, but we got this wave with center locker full-ish and surf side, but the key for us is the swim deck bag (custom) filled TO CAPACITY
upload_2018-8-21_16-11-58.png

--

BossMan27

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you!

That wave looks awesome.

How big is your bag? I ordered the custom bag from Jerry for a 24ft boat, so I'm assuming I'm good. I think I had the wedge too low and speed a little high.

Hoping to get out this weekend and try some more.

Thanks again for the advice.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you!

That wave looks awesome.

How big is your bag? I ordered the custom bag from Jerry for a 24ft boat, so I'm assuming I'm good. I think I had the wedge too low and speed a little high.

Hoping to get out this weekend and try some more.

Thanks again for the advice.
So, for the session in the pic above we only had the swim deck bag (filled to capacity) and my center locker 800lbs (not filled to capacity as it folded wrong/w/air trapped, so probabaly ~600-700lbs). Plus the wedge.
that makes the setup really easy and fast.

points/tips:
1. When I thought I had the new custom swim deck bag filled to capacity... Jerry showed me what the full capacity really meant, it was easily another 100lbs extra - need to fill that bag until it starts to stretch! 

2. I keep the boat running at high idle to keep the voltages up - makes a big difference in pump speeds. 

3. Wake wedge angle needs to be VERY modest; I had it cranked only two full turns of the turnbuckle from the dead-stop flat-out, per Jerry; it is far less angled than I would had thought to had worked, but it works best that way
4. Speed was a bit faster than what I was doing before - about 10.8mph worked best (RideSteady).

5. Bags in the rear compartments may come in handy w/light loads; but those are certainly not critical

--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Many of us have made the common mistake of too much angle on the Wake Wedge. As @swatski said, it is a very modest angle.

BossMan27

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you guys so much. Heading out Saturday to try again.

I think my bag was way under filled and also the wedge at too high of an angle.

Thanks again

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you guys so much. Heading out Saturday to try again.

I think my bag was way under filled and also the wedge at too high of an angle.

Thanks again
We love pics! :)

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love this short little clip that @swatski posted after we tuned his boat in. Tons of push and with only 2 ballast bags full.

JBRyan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What board is being used in the video?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor