• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurfing 2008 AR210

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First, I love my AR210....been out quite a few times my first season and even though my boat came with perfect pass and 4 ballast bags you have to fill with a pump, we have stuck to tubing and wakeboarding this summer.

I have done a bit of research on what’s it gonna take to try and wakesurf behind my boat legitimately. Unfortunately the Yamaha Wakebooster does not fit older boats, not sure why. I am not the type who is gonna spend 1 hour preparing to wakesurf.

Wake Wedge? Bags? Change boats? Any new stuff out?

Advice please.

Thanks

Brian

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No matter what solution you decide on, using the ballast bags and some sort of pump is required. The weight is needed to allow any sort of wave to form. Otherwise any other money spent on wake shaping will be near useless.

Start by filling what you have and getting it as far back and to the surf side. You know you have it close when the swimdeck on the surf side is under water. Once folks realize how much fun a decent wave is, they will wait for setup. It's a part of the process if if you have an X model boat, you still have to fill ballast bags, it's just more automated.

If you want to see a near perfect pump setup for third part bags, check out Swatski's thread on his setup. None of his bags were stock, but he has plumbed and wired in pumps to fill them in record time. Baby steps would be to buy a second pump and fill two at a time. I'm moving in that direction now.

Good luck,

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the same year and hull that you do. We surf ropeless all summer in shallow water with 400 lbs ballast under the port seat and the Wake Wedge. In my opinion you do not need bags on the swim deck with our hull. But it will make a wave that is easier to play on. Just go have fun with your family while you can.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need ballast and a wedge. How much ballast depends on the size/buoyancy/push of the board and the weight of the rider.

AquamanH20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same year and hull that you do. We surf ropeless all summer in shallow water with 400 lbs ballast under the port seat and the Wake Wedge. In my opinion you do not need bags on the swim deck with our hull. But it will make a wave that is easier to play on. Just go have fun with your family while you can.
Buck Buck, When you say THE wake wedge, what type are you speaking of? As our OP B Frank stated; The Yamaha wake wedge does not work with his model year.. I have had 8 people along with 1200 lbs ballast in the back + I’m set-up with new Jet Boat Pilot thrust vector wake edition keeping my speed at 10mph with Perfect Pass and still am not satisfied with the amount of time off rope. Getting tired of throwing money at this. Enjoying the foil board though.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Buck Buck, When you say THE wake wedge, what type are you speaking of? As our OP B Frank stated; The Yamaha wake wedge does not work with his model year.. I have had 8 people along with 1200 lbs ballast in the back + I’m set-up with new Jet Boat Pilot thrust vector wake edition keeping my speed at 10mph with Perfect Pass and still am not satisfied with the amount of time off rope. Getting tired of throwing money at this. Enjoying the foil board though.
We have a 2015 212x and don’t use a wedge at all... our set up is 400 under rear port/starboard seats and the custom transom bag on the swim deck... light load days we may fill some of the ski locker
B9829983-36FB-45D6-82D8-79D06DF6587C.jpeg

That’s our wave

Edit we set our perfect pass about 10.5 and adjuster from there individually

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Likely the Galton wake wedge?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes the Gantlin Wake Wedge is what buck buck uses.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@AquamanH20 Been using the Gantlin Wake Wedge for many years. It does improve the push of the wave. We have taught countless people how to get up surfing and many have gone on to ropeless surfing. (Some have got the surf bug so bad they sell their Yamahas and buy 6 figure surf boats.) We do not get the long pockets that others experience due to our only running 400 lbs ballast. Plus we surf on a shallow river. But we are out for the fun and don't pursue the perfect wave.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a 2015 212x and don’t use a wedge at all... our set up is 400 under rear port/starboard seats and the custom transom bag on the swim deck... light load days we may fill some of the ski locker
View attachment 103312

That’s our wave

Edit we set our perfect pass about 10.5 and adjuster from there individually
That always amazes me, same with @bobbie's boat. I can not do this in a 2016 240, the Wedge makes a massive difference.

Now, running in a big circle without the Wedge there are moments when the wake looks good, but it is not consistent and even though it looks okay it lacks the push that I can get with the wedge.
I can take a picture like that - without the wedge - this is about as good as it gets, transom bag and center locker full:
(this pic is about as good as it gets for me with no wedge)

Now, same exact conditions back-to-back WITH the Wedge, this is average - I can take picture after picture like this, and anyone can surf this ropeless there is so much push:

--

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@swatski I tried your proven method with swim deck and ski locker only and it just didn’t quite work like the 400 under each rear seats and the swim deck. In the picture above of my buddy we had 2 people in the boat me driving and my wife sitting right across from me. I used to have an 1100# bag under the port seat and I think the 400 is better... it is tucked all the way back so the weight is more rear than the 1100 bag filling the whole storage compartment. Really shows you the difference between boats! Honestly figuring out the placement is a pretty fun project!

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys. I’m back to talk about this again. If you recall I have a 2008 AR210. Upon further investigation the Gantlin wake Wedge won’t fit my boat since I have the Thrust Vector XV’s installed. So I studied a bit more and found the new JBP Trust Vector Wake which is supposed to deflect the jet wash and provide a better wake. Talked with Will today and he informed the following:

1. Has not tried on the older boats with MR-1 engines, a bit concerned with them
2. Thinks they will work with 600lb ballast on lower platform and another bag on surf side of upper platform.
3. Special Sale coming in October on the new Thrust Vector Wake
4. Apparently there is also a piece that attaches to the ladder not in pic below

There are limited reviews on these and they aren’t cheap at around $700 with shipping. Anyone tried these on older Yamaha?

Thanks Guys!

Brian

Attachments

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey guys. I’m back to talk about this again. If you recall I have a 2008 AR210. Upon further investigation the Gantlin wake Wedge won’t fit my boat since I have the Thrust Vector XV’s installed.
just waiting to make sure you confirmed that with @jcyamaharider i had an ‘11 SX210 with Thrust Vector XV (I’m pretty sure) and used the Wake Wedge. Pretty sure that’s the same hull, isn’t it.

edit: found a pic. I had the Thrust Vector XL. But, I know they worked fine with the Wedge. Not sure the differences between the XL and XV.

Thats

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
just waiting to make sure you confirmed that with @jcyamaharider i had an ‘11 SX210 with Thrust Vector XV (I’m pretty sure) and used the Wake Wedge. Pretty sure that’s the same hull, isn’t it.

edit: found a pic. I had the Thrust Vector XL. But, I know they worked fine with the Wedge. Not sure the differences between the XL and XV.
THIS has my attention. Thanks!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They should still work together, and we are running a sale right now.

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good looking wake!! How much ballast do you use?

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That pic was with the transom bag (750lbs) 550lbs in bow and 550 lbs on surf side seat. No one in boat but me. I have not had a chance to dial the wave in yet. I've only been able to go surfing once since I got the transom bag a few weeks ago.106400