• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurfing

mbarnhart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m pulling people for the first time wakesurfing. I’ve pulled plenty of wakebaorders but not a surfer. Any tips on how fast to throttle up? It looks like you start off slower and don’t go full throttle to get them up like a wakeboarder.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very slow acceleration, much slower than a wakeboarder. Optimal speed is usually between 9.5 and 11 mph, adjusting for surfer, boat weight and depth of water.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a gradual power curve will due. Many wakesurf boards are larger than a wakeboard, so it doesn't take much to get them up.
20190712_210207_1.gif
Other tips:
- Use a short rope so they're in or close to center in the pocket.
- Start them off to the side to avoid jet wash up the rectum.
- Instruct the rider to carve out of the wake from stay to avoid having to cross it.

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very slow pull. Maybe 4-5k rpms. They are usually up before the wake forms. I usually use the jet wash (almost wake speed) to get them up, then accelerate up a bit. Or just start off the swim step. Most people do better that way, especially if they don't wakeboard.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
And if your tower allows, attach the rope to the surf side. Helps keep the rider away from the jet wash.

mbarnhart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the responses.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Works every time if you don’t have perfect pass.

throttle up to the first indent.

Then hit wake mode to allow the surfer to get on his feet and orientate.

Then throttle up to around 11 mph or the speed where the wake is optimal.

I hear perfect pass or ride steady makes it a “no brain-er”

mbarnhart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Works every time if you don’t have perfect pass.

throttle up to the first indent.

Then hit wake mode to allow the surfer to get on his feet and orientate.

Then throttle up to around 11 mph or the speed where the wake is optimal.

I hear perfect pass or ride steady makes it a “no brain-er”
I don't even know what perfect pass is so I'm assuming I don't have it. I just bought a 2019 AR210 and didn't see anything that said perfect pass on it. I will try the first indent and hit no wake mode. Thanks!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't even know what perfect pass is so I'm assuming I don't have it. I just bought a 2019 AR210 and didn't see anything that said perfect pass on it. I will try the first indent and hit no wake mode. Thanks!
Ridesteady and Perfect Pass are aftermarket accessory devices for Yamaha and other boats. They're GPS speed control systems that plug into your boats throttle and automatically control and maintain a set speed for watersports.

Ridesteady has my money, it's actually a pretty amazing system. It has the ability to electronically synchronize your twin engines at any speed, effectively converting it to an E-Series boat. Justin (@Ridesteady) is a member here.

Don't worry, we will help you find all kinds of things to help you spend your money on...

By the way, I'm the resident watersports dealer. Message me if you want the jetboaters discount on any of our products. 😉 I'll help you SAVE money on the stuff you're going to be buying anyway, right?

mbarnhart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ridesteady and Perfect Pass are aftermarket accessory devices for Yamaha and other boats. They're GPS speed control systems that plug into your boats throttle and automatically control and maintain a set speed for watersports.

Ridesteady has my money, it's actually a pretty amazing system. It has the ability to electronically synchronize your twin engines at any speed, effectively converting it to an E-Series boat. Justin (@Ridesteady) is a member here.

Don't worry, we will help you find all kinds of things to help you spend your money on...

By the way, I'm the resident watersports dealer. Message me if you want the jetboaters discount on any of our products. 😉 I'll help you SAVE money on the stuff you're going to be buying anyway, right?

Thank you sir. I am definitely going to check out Ridesteady and let you know when I'm ready to buy. How is the installation on it? simple or do I need to take it somewhere to get it installed?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you sir. I am definitely going to check out Ridesteady and let you know when I'm ready to buy. How is the installation on it? simple or do I need to take it somewhere to get it installed?
You're welcome. I did my own install as I think most members here who have done the install have. It has a very good set of instructions to walk you thru the process. The most challenging part is chasing writers to the helm and deciding where to mount the controller. There's been several threads on here about it over the years so you should be able to find some good info. Justin (@Ridesteady) is also very responsive with his customer service. I wouldn't own a boat without it or similar.