• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

want to add more speakers...

Charles

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, the 2015 242 LS has a nice system, but needs a little bit more bass for my taste. Don't care to project 80' behind me...mostly inside the boat, and maybe swimming within 10-20 feet of the boat.

Suggestions? I feel like Wake tower speakers may not be the right solution.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Tower speakers won't give you the bass you're looking for. A subwoofer is really the solution to a bass problem. The side benefit is that if you properly cross over your subwoofer and your coaxials, the coaxials will sound better as well because they won't be trying to reproduce sounds they really aren't efficient at reproducing.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Because you know I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble... sorry couldn't resist :rolleyes: @txav8r , how are you coming on your sub project??? Or have already missed it?

I need an amp and a sub myself... but time and money keeps getting in the way... :( I need budget minded suggestions/solutions as well...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my SX230 I upgraded the head unit to a higher wattage Fusion unit, replaced the four factory 6.5" speakers inside the boat with 6x9s with higher SPL values then added two more 6x9s behind the swim deck seats. It sounds great inside and swimming around the boat. Over the winter I plan to add two more 6x9s in the bow. All eight speakers will be powered without the need for an amplifier. The 6x9 handles a lower frequency range than 6.5" speakers. I originally planned to add an amplified sub but after installing the first four 6x9s I decided that I did not need it.

So my suggestion would be to look at upgrading your speakers to alternatives with higher SPL (more output per watt) and / or a larger amplifier.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As a stopgap inexpensive measure, something like an amplified 10" Bazooka tube will definitely add more thump to your system. A bit nicer would be something like an Infinity Basslink amplified sub.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Charles - how about adding 2 more speakers mid cabin. I did - and powered all six in boats with a WetSounds HT6 - night and day difference. Really filled in the cabin.
I later also added a WetSounds 10" IB sub. If bass is what you want, a sub is what you need.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Infinity Basslink amplified sub
I'm liking that idea, just have to figure out where to put it...

Hmmm... very interesting... http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113PWD250M/Kenwood-Marine-Bass-Package-White-KFC-W250MRW-subwoofer.html

Mo money, mo money...

And here is a completely stupid question that I can't seem to find the answer to. If a head unit is 4x52 watts, and you fade all the way to the back, does all the power transfer to the back? For example, with my Sony CDX-M60UI, if I had four speakers on the rear channel (with a switch to turn two of them off, like on the tower or on the swim platform) and two on the front, if I fade all to the rear am I running all the rear speakers at 208 watts, or am I only going to see 104w to the rear?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No, fading doesn't work that way. You should also know that your 4X52 head unit really isn't 4X52. I'd wager it's more like 4X16 to 18 watts RMS. 52 would be peak power and that probably at 14.4volts....with a lot of distortion. Your head unit probably also won't tolerate anything less than a 4 ohm load, so running two pairs in parallel off of any channel won't work well or for long.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @OrangeTJ ... I kinda figured that, just wanted confirmation... I see an amp in my future...

I just want to run a set of speakers on the swim platform, or behind the backrests on the swim platform... just trying to figure the best way to power them. Maybe if I used the front channel on a switch for them?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just want to run a set of speakers on the swim platform, or behind the backrests on the swim platform... just trying to figure the best way to power them. Maybe if I used the front channel on a switch for them?
Fusion has a small MS-AM702 amplifier that you could use to drive your swim platform speakers. Amazon offers it for $108 - Fusion MS-AM702 2 Channel 140 Watt Compact Marine Amplifier.

It is 2 ohm stable so you can use it to power four speakers.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the list... Thanks @Bruce !

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Because you know I'm all about that bass 'Bout that bass, no treble... sorry couldn't resist :rolleyes: @txav8r , how are you coming on your sub project??? Or have already missed it?

I need an amp and a sub myself... but time and money keeps getting in the way... :( I need budget minded suggestions/solutions as well...
TIME...ugh, it has been my issue. I thought my extra few days of vacation would help me tackle it, but all the after vacation projects ate up my time. I have all the components and the sub enclosure built. I just have to install it all. My recommendation at this point, not having heard the sub, is to go IB and forget the damn box. That is the thing that is taking all the time really, because it has to be perfect and getting it to fit behind the wall and have bolt up room is critical. Not much room on my wall for that...and I am a woodworker, well kind of, anyway.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hopefully the sound quality offsets the difference in effort you're putting in!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think it will. But time has been my issue. Lots of distractions lately including vacation. I will get it done. I like taking my time and being not only methodical but do it just like the experts at Earmark would do it.