• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wants / Needs ... advice ‘07 SX230

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi gang,

Looking for some data points and opinions. We bought a used Sx230 a few years back. Love the boat.

I have put in Seadeck, upgraded the audio system with sub, swim deck speakers, etc.

Question to the group: with the phase out of the MR1s is it time to look at the newer boats?

I have not pulled the hours on the engines yet (I need to find a windows laptop / emulator for MacBook) but I estimate 400 hours. I have been diligent on oil changes, bearings greased, etc.

Any thoughts/ optinions on moving to the newer styles / bigger engines in the used market < 40k or stick with what I have?

Thanks
Mark

Boat is 11 years old. Has 400 hours. Hmmm...I'd say you should start looking in about 2029 when you have about 800 hours.

I have no obsolescence fears about my boat having MR1s. In fact, I still see it as a plus. So many were produced and there are so many waverunners out there with the engine. If I needed one, buying a Vx and swapping engines is still way cheaper than buying a different boat of like condition. That opinion changes if not doing work yourself as the cost of dealers doing a swap or repairs easily doubles the cost of anything. One negative you can’t change is the noise from higher RPMs with the MR1. An advantage is better fuel economy.

I just bought mine. I really like the styling, and while a crate engine is not available, remanufactured options exist.

If your needs change or your want a newer boat because you desire newness or a different style, go for it, but on reliability alone, do not trade it. This is one of the better built, more reliable boats, even now, compared to other offerings from Yamaha (In my opinion)

That’s a great boat. If it’s working for you and your family definitely keep it.

I'm going to try and see if i can get my ancient laptop working and fire up YDS to get a true hours reading. Thanks for the input guys. The other piece that is kind of bumming me out is the oxidation. on the hull and the faded graphics. I think i might invest in an eraser wheel and delete, then attempt to restore her former luster.

Our 2006 was chalky and oxidized spent 700 and it wet sanded washed and sealed she looks brand new.

We got ours this winter with about 160 hrs on each motor. I'll keep her until she dont run anymore and then look for something that will fit into same spot.

Yeah started selling short blocks and heads. We'll i checked again and they only have the short block for $5200. The head assembly is no longer listed. I think it was 3800 when i saw it a few weeks ago. I'm mixed. 3 out of 4 mr1s I've tested this year have low compression. 2 with under 100hrs. I'm in it for the long haul and will fix what breaks. I thinking if your are mechanically inclined they are worth keeping. If you have the dealer do they work you might want to upgrade to the newer engines.

I would not use a dealer to do the rework...

Recent threads are leading me toward pulling the ecu and looking for corrosion. I’m happy to do board cleanup and reflow solder.

What do people think as preventative to flooded cylinder with gas?

@Bruce any thoughts?

Mark

Back